AK Suggestions

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Super_Virgil, Apr 2, 2008.

1. So I have decided that my next purchase is going to be an AK. Any thoughts on where to buy, or what to lok for?? Also do i buy, build, or convert a saiga??

S V

2. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

Build or convert.

What's your price range?

3. I think the best value and quality right now is to convert a Saiga. They are better quality then your average Romy WASR. You also get a real deal russian weapon. Around here anyway you can still get them for around $280. Here is a pic for inspiration.

[​IMG]

4. Thats a beautiful and scary black gun. I really like the look of poly furniture.

5. Probably true. But not as much fun (and frustration) as demilling, bending a flat, sorting out compliance parts, and so forth, but, uh, as I was saying, uh...

Nevermind :(

... Yeah: several more kits to go... :D

6. Ari

Ari Guest

Man that saiga looks nice.

:D

7. Saiga.

If you have the tools and gumption to build one, go for it. Not quite as good of a deal as it used to be but still fun.

8. saiga is a good route. The conversion really is pretty easy, especially if you take the short route(not dealing with drilling a hole for the front of the trigger guard after conversion).

Only things I don't like about the saiga:
    1. not being able to directly swap your average AK front handguard furniture onto it.
    2. having to deal with the bullet guide to use AK mags.

9. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

Currently got 4 builds going. $94 shipped for the kit, $14.00 for the flats, and $41 for compliance parts kit.

$149.00 for a complete, 100% legal AK-47... Show me a better deal, and I'll show you a nice finders fee!

10. You can't find 89 dollar kits anymore. Figure 150 minimum for a kit these days, 40-50 for the compliance parts, and for a beginner, a 60 dollar receiver. 250 or so nowadays for a easy to build kit gun.

Yeah, you can still save by doing the flats but unless you have a build party near buy or buy the tools, that can get pricey.

11. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

I can give you a link to a $99 kit right now! I paid $89 4 weeks ago...

12. Get a handguard retainer from Dinzag and an AK gastube and you can put any AK front handguard on you want. http://www.dinzagarms.com/saiga_762x39/akbor1.html
    I have thought about changing my handguard out but I sort of like the look of the converted rifle with the stock handguard

I worried about the bullet guide but it wasn't that big a deal. It was only about 5 min worth of work.

13. elguapo

elguapo Guest

I have a AK underfolder, and only seek mags:

I also have a Saiga that I plan on converting:

Also, should time and money permit: building an AK ala Uraijit style.

I am gathering the parts for all the guns I want to delve into building.

14. I thought I read that JG Sales was out of stock or their price went up to 150? I should call them today to find out.

15. Ari

Ari Guest

The front hand guard on this is really starting to grow on me. It looks very sleek.

16. Called JG and confirmed, they are totally out of stock on AK parts kits (romy).

17. ^ and nobody will probably get any more in.

Check w/ DPH though.

18. uncle jerky

uncle jerky Well-Known Member

Look for a Yugo M70,wood stock or underfolder. They are high quality,very sturdy guns that are scarce,but not as scarce as ALL of these types of guns will be in 1-2 yrs!!

19. I like the Saiga weapons, and they are in the AK family, but if it were me I would want a "real" AK, not a modified Saiga.

My Romanian WUM 1 is so much more AK than my friends Saiga 7.62x39 rifle is IMO

Just my personal preference.

20. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

Damn! That sucks. I wouldn't worry about it too much though, the whole panic about kits drying up has been going on for the last 10 years or so...