Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

Ak top covers.

629 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  slade601 
#1 ·
In attempt to make my saiga look less like an ar... I've removed the m4 stock and added the kvar fixed stock. I also decided to lose the scoped dust cover and optic. I replaced it with a new cover from Carolina shooters supply.
It said it was a factory saiga cover.

I'm wondering if its a problem that in this new one the button on the end of the recoil spring protrudes from the cover.(far more than the usual) It shoots just fine but is this something that could cause any sort of problem?

#2 ·
The slot for the cover sounds like its just a bit longer than your original, which would allow the spring to push back further, thus letting the button stick out a touch further. But not enough to hurt the firing at all. The spring is extra long to keep tension on the cover, but has, plenty of extra room. Youll be just fine.

#3 ·
The slot for the cover sounds like its just a bit longer than your original, which would allow the spring to push back further, thus letting the button stick out a touch further. But not enough to hurt the firing at all. The spring is extra long to keep tension on the cover, but has, plenty of extra room. Youll be just fine.
Good to hear. I didn't want to have to locate a third one. Now I can move to the next phase. Plan on going the route of a quick detach side rail and then having to save for Kobra style optic I found from kalinka. Any experience with them?

#6 ·
I highly recommend against a quick detach optic rail. They dont hold as true as a bolt on unit does. And most good bolt on ones usually allow you to full field strip the weapon without removing the rail, thus no need to re zero. Both designs are less than perfect, but a bolt on is the better of the two.

#7 ·
Ive never used the kobra optics personally, but have looked at them several times. For a true russian build tactical, there the only real choice. I dont have a tactical version (although im currently building a draco SBR tactical) & its on my wanted list absolutely.

#8 ·
I highly recommend against a quick detach optic rail. They dont hold as true as a bolt on unit does. And most good bolt on ones usually allow you to full field strip the weapon without removing the rail, thus no need to re zero. Both designs are less than perfect, but a bolt on is the better of the two.
Thanks. I've seen a couple of bolt on versions on MAA and them being pretty close I could probably get it fast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.