Al, need your help.

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by planosteve, Nov 23, 2015.

1. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Was at LGS #2 they have a J. Stevens A&T Co. Falling block in mint condition. Case hardened receiver first few inches of barrel is octogenal then it becomes a heavy round barrel. Chambered for 25-20, and has a tang sight. It has not been refinished and looks almost new. They are asking $399. What do you think?

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah

If its "real" as in original and not messed with, the price is right, as a collector will pay a ton more than that.

The tang sight alone, if original, is worth $100-$150.

I don't know squat about 25-20 or how to make it, but the gun is very nice. I paid about $300 for the newer .22 version of that gun.

3. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

I think if it were worth more than they were asking, an LGS would know it. Can you even get 25-20 any more? Don't know the rnd. :(

4. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Remington and Winchester still make 25-20 last I knew.
    Remington still makes brass for reloading and Hornady makes bullets.
    Lee has dies for reloading the 25-20 as well. :)

5. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

A number of online dealers and stores do sell 25-20 today.

6. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Sounds like Mole ;)

7. planosteve

It is an estate consignment, they originally wanted $599, but it hasn't sold in 3 months. It is all original and the tang sight is factory original. Ammo is expensive. They also had one of the Swiss straight pull rifles, k31 (?) . Someone had sanded the finish off the stock. Ammo for it is avalable and cheaper. Need to think about this.

8. FlashBang

While you're thinking, you should tell me the name of the LGS that has it. :p

9. OldOutlaw

I get 2nd shot after FlashBang if you don't buy that Stevens.

10. FlashBang

If he's smart he logged off and went to buy it. I could be there in under 3 hours. :)

11. OldOutlaw

You would beat me. I would have to call and buy over the phone. :(
    But you don't just pass these up when original.

12. planosteve

Flash it is gungeartogo.com in plano. I think I am going to get the Swiss k31

13. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    To me the K31 is the better gun, more versatile, better for most things I'd do with a rifle. Mine is a 1950's built gun, very solid, very accurate.

The Stevens is a cult following gun, VERY light, easy to carry and use, light recoil, and they just don't make anythign like them anymore, except the .22, or the Ruger No. 1, which is another whole ball game.

But I'd use the K31 for more things, and not be afraid of wearing it out and losing value.:(

14. FlashBang

Thanks Steve, I've contacted them and requested some photos of it.
    I already have K-31's in my collection, the 25-20 will appreciate value faster then a K-31, just depends what you are looking for. :)

15. planosteve

Something fun to shoot, and Al brags about the k31

16. FlashBang

You'll enjoy shooting a K-31, they are very accurate rifles. The K-31 also has a nice recoil so shoulder it properly. :)

17. planosteve

I shoot a 30-06 so I figured the recoil would be similar. Just hope they have it by the end of the month as I am tapped out due the wife right now.

18. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Put it on layaway! $20 to hold it!

19. FlashBang

Spoke to them on the phone this morning, they are trying to get pictures of it to send me so I can decide whether I make a 3 hour drive.

From information I was able to get from them it appears to be a J. Stevens Model 44 1/2 in the 25-20 Stevens caliber (Not WCF). It's not a Model 44 as they were all rolling block not falling block. Need to see the pictures though to make sure it is falling block, you would be surprised how many people don't know the difference.. even in gun stores. ;)

SN on it is 24xx which puts it at early model as they were only produced from 1903 to 1916.

Ammunition for the 25-20 Stevens round is no longer manufactured, there is one company making brass for it, Bertram, but they have a reputation for making lousy brass. If I pick it up I'll most likely just use brass round stock and make my own casings on the lathe.

The shop guy I spoke with does not sound to well versed with older firearms, which may be a good thing. ;)

20. planosteve

Ok what is the difference between falling block and rolling block? Also after I get printed I can go take some pics if you want.