Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know hardly anything about carrying concealed, so I thought it'd be a good idea to start a topic where people would share all their advice about it. Ways to carry, types of clothes, reviews on holsters, types of holsters (belt, shoudler, ankle, etc), carrying one in the chamber or not, etc...

I just thought it'd be a good idea to wrap everything up in one post. Plus, I would like to know more, so please, share your knowledge and advice!

~mike

·
Registered
302 Posts
+++++++++++++1

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I don't know hardly anything about carrying concealed, so I thought it'd be a good idea to start a topic where people would share all their advice about it. Ways to carry, types of clothes, reviews on holsters, types of holsters (belt, shoudler, ankle, etc), carrying one in the chamber or not, etc...

I just thought it'd be a good idea to wrap everything up in one post. Plus, I would like to know more, so please, share your knowledge and advice!

~mike
Ways to carry? I only have "belt holsters", I really like Fobus, especially after a nylon holster rusted my first carry piece (1st handgun too... grrr). I usually try to carry at 3:30 to 4:30 position... if my belly button is 12. A thick belt is what gets the job done... as a limp belt will twist, and cause the holster to tilt in one direction, and lock onto your pistol... a sturdy belt will stay put, along with the holster, resulting in a good draw.
I wanted an ankle holster until I spoke with police officers about them. They hate them, and wish they were able to carry their BUGs in a front pants pocket in a pocket holster, but it's ankle or no BUG in the 2 departments I'm speaking of.
Clothes? Of course with a heavy jacket you can conceal a pistol grip shotgun, but in the summer time, it's rough on firearms. The fact is that a blued gun, touching skin that is sweating (saltwater for sake of saying) onto the firearm isn't cool. Especially if you have the fabled "acid hands" where anything you touch rusts in 1 hour. A lot of folks have a summer carry piece and a winter carry piece... some just wear longer/larger shirts to cover their carry piece in the summer time? Me? I got the bersa in my front pocket during the summer... winter time, it's on the belt, or the 1911 is. ;)
Let us not get on the subject of having "one in the pipe" because it just splits the firearm community between smart/stupid... and depending on which side you are on, the other side is the stupid side.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts

~mike
This idea is a forum in itself. There's threads called "what do you carry" already. Holsters are a personal choice and many have +/-'s about them. Where to carry is the same, based on experience, body type, weather, size of gun, size of belly (my favorite), and so on. Putting it all into one post will be creating a morass of information. Heck there are entire newsletters and websites devoted to just this subject.

The nature of the question is this - carrying is a VERY personal choice in every aspect. You can read here and else where all day long about these parts, but until you have a loaded weapon on your belt driving around with your family in the car, or at the mall.... it's only words.

So count me in as wanting to help any way possible for specific questions, be I fear one BIG post on carrying will fall short of your expectations.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I was going to post something like what Newskate9 said, but decided to give the new guy what he asked for. He makes a pretty good point, it's too personal to adopt someone else's every preference on concealed carry. This is where you gotta be your own man and decide what works for you! (and yes, buying a few holsters that aren't perfect is ok, as long as you find the one that suits you.) :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.