Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cruising down to the gas station to refill my tea before they closed. And there was a car coming at me in the other lanes. He flashed his brights at me, so I flashed mine back to let him know mine weren't on. He flashed me again...so I hit mine and left them on since he obviously didn't get the message the first time. Then when he passed me I saw his roof light up.

He pulls me over, informs me it's not illegal to drive with my lights on, just inconsiderate. Asked if he could search my truck, I told him I don't care...just to hurry because I want to get to the store before they close. He takes his time, picking through EVERY piece of dirt, gravel, and grass on my floorboard. He even picked up a clump I scraped off my boot and smelled it. Thinking maybe....just maybe it was the weed. Went through my glove box, through my center console...asked me why I had an empty holster bonded to the back of my console. I told him thats where I keep my gun on long trips so it don't poke me in the ribs. Got the CCW talk...asked to see my CCW license. 37 minutes later, after going through my book bag, my lap top case, and my CD case. He finally let me go, and wrote me a fix-it ticket for having my third tail light out(it's not out...my topper just blocks it)

**** THAT GUY. I'm skipping school tomorrow and storming the Chief first thing in the morning. I'm not going to play nice anymore.

Edited for title language ~ Corelogik

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
Why did you let him search your truck in the first place? He did not have reasonable cause. I would have not only no but hell no.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Why did you let him search your truck in the first place? He did not have reasonable cause. I would have not only no but hell no.
I tried this once. I guess the cop, being a cop suddenly had probable cause and basically help me on the side of the road until the chief came with some paper work apparently signed by the judge blah blah, and searched my vehicle anyway. It wasnt like I was trying to hide anything from anyone, just trying to get to a street race ^-^ That was in the late 90's and I should have followed up on the situation, but didnt.

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
Well as I know....unlike the people on "cops"...there is nothing to find in my vehicle and I would certainly sit there and make them waste their time and get a warrant..and when they found nothing you can bet your last dollar I would follow up with a lawyer.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
No warrant, No search.
Consent to nothing.
Only answer direct questions with direct answers... If the answer can be a "Yes or No", Do it with no other words.
Cops are not there to be your friend, your pal, or even "help you out"... that's just glad-handing to the public.
The criminal justice system is put into place to do 2 things, make money and make more money... no justice involved anymore.

Maaso, only you bud.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Yes cops have to have reasonable cause but to cops anything and everything can get them that reason.just let them search and get the heck out of your way.It's not wasteing their time remember they'er getting paid and we aren't.As far as me i never had them to want to search but i use to jump out and just start cursing them out when i didn't know any better.i've gone to jail for it oncebut my brother heard the call and got there with his buddy cop before i was booked ,made me appologise to the cop and let me go.so any runins i might have i just let them have their way so i can be gone.

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
Yes cops have to have reasonable cause but to cops anything and everything can get them that reason.just let them search and get the heck out of your way.It's not wasteing their time remember they'er getting paid and we aren't.As far as me i never had them to want to search but i use to jump out and just start cursing them out when i didn't know any better.i've gone to jail for it oncebut my brother heard the call and got there with his buddy cop before i was booked ,made me appologise to the cop and let me go.so any runins i might have i just let them have their way so i can be gone.
I disagree and "everything" can not get them that reason. I hold this right as sacred as any other.. "protected from unreasonable search and seizure" It's not a waste of time to defend my rights and why I stated I would follow up with a lawyer. The police better be d*** sure they can prove there was reasonable cause.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Don't consent to anything... EVER.
Did you own your car since new?
Are you the only person to ever drive it?
Are you able to say nothing has been put in there without your knowledge?
Ever let your buddy use your car?
Don't consent to anything... EVER.

·
Registered
792 Posts
You guys are right.i guess i'm just talking for myself because the cops here are happy to lock you up for even talking back moreless not letting them search my car.i've heard them say well if you are refusing to let me search than i have reason to belive that you are hiding something.You know how it goes.

·
Banned
4,094 Posts
4th amendment man, protection against unlawful search and seizure. I'm not gonna let them dig through anything of mine without a warrant.
One of the things most will do then is call for a dog and if the dog walks around your vehicle and detects anything they then can search as they then have probable cause. I have only been checked once and they didn't find anything and the officer had to apolligize to me.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
Bad boys, bad boys what you gonna do when they come for you. Not this sheeite again, it's like a cop encounter every other day, I haven't even been looked at crossly by a cop in three years, for one reason or another they got your number.

·
Premium Member
3,848 Posts
Always refuse permission to search. Even if they find something, there is a chance the search will get tossed down the line by a Judge. Give permission, and you are screwed, legal search every time. Refusing to allow a search is not PC, it's asserting your 4th amendment rights. If the cop uses that as his PC, the search will be tossed. Don't talk back, don't give him attitude, just calmy say you refuse to allow a search.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Theyve got my number around here too masso just stand your ground get a lawyer involved if you have to.

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
I got stopped by the federalies in Mexico. Needless to say, I let them search. God Bless America. It could be much worse.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
I got stopped by the federalies in Mexico. Needless to say, I let them search. God Bless America. It could be much worse.
CocaCola up your nose and losing your watch isn't fun... is it?

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I loet him do the search for a number of reasons, first...I try to cooperate with the law when ever I can. Two, I had nothing to hide. And third, I knew if I let him do this he wouldn't be bothering me later(calling me out of class two counties away) with his court ordered warrent.

I waited at the cop station for the Chief to come in this morning, he finally came in about an hour late and just walked in shaking his head at me saying "I know, I know...just wait"

The Chief informed me that he had put in for a transfer to a more "crime laden" city and was giving out BS tickets for stupid shit for the past few weeks to get his citations or whatever up to make himself stand out to other cities.

He did write me a legit ticket though...since my topper blocks my third brake light thingy, and my topper don't have a third brake light to make up for it. So I'm going to buy me one of those cheap ass red LED strip thingys to put back there. Problem solved.

And he told me I was real good about the search, he didn't find anything, and I cooperated every way I could without making a scene. And he thanked me for waiting till this morning to tell him instead of calling him last night and waking him up.

Now all we have to do is wait for somebody to come pick him up and take him away, and the Chief is doing everything he can to push him through.

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
He did write me a legit ticket though...since my topper blocks my third brake light thingy, and my topper don't have a third brake light to make up for it. So I'm going to buy me one of those cheap ass red LED strip thingys to put back there. Problem solved.
I don't know about that being a "legit" ticket ..the 3rd or eye level brake light is a federally mandated safety feature required of th vehicle manufacturers. I would ask him to show you the state law that requires it. Think about it any older car before they started slapping those on would be in violation. As long as both of your rear brake lights function you are not in any violation that I'm aware of. Check it out this is your Kansas state law:

"8-1708. Stop lamps and turn signals. (a) Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer and pole trailer shall be equipped with two (2) or more stop lamps meeting the requirements of subsection (a) of K.S.A. 8-1721, except that passenger cars manufactured or assembled prior to January 1, 1953, shall be equipped with at least one stop lamp. On a combination of vehicles, only the stop lamps on the rearmost vehicle need actually be seen from the distance specified in subsection (a) of K.S.A. 8-1721"

Note it states 2 or more,not 3. Not a legit ticket my friend.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts