All this SNOW

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by hypnodoc143, Feb 17, 2015.

1. hypnodoc143

hypnodoc143 Member

I'm getting tired of all this snow. How about you? I'm in southeast TN and it's going to get down to below 0 here. Nasty, Nasty,Nasty...Went outside to my backyard range tonight with my son-in-law and shot off a few 12ga Dragons Breath rounds to melt the snow... It didn't work but we had some fun trying.

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    It snowed here.

About a month ago.:D

It was 18 at 7:30 AM...but then it was 59 at 4 PM.:rolleyes:

3. SteveC

SteveC Member

WV
    The plan Monday morning - President's Day, my granddaughter's school closed - was for her to spend the morning with me, then have lunch at Hillbilly Hot Dogs with my wife, then she would spend the afternoon with my wife. Hillbilly's is a big favorite with my little one, because one of the "booths" is set in a bathtub. For a six-year-old, this is evidently very appealing. (Another is in an "outhouse"). By 1030 we realize that we are not going to get down off the hill I live on (one of the highest points in the hills southeast of downtown) and nobody is getting up here either. So my little one and her Grumpy (yes, that's what she calls me) get to hang out for about 36 hours going out for brief periods in the snow (only 10 degrees), paint her nails, drinking hot chocolate with a truly disgusting quantity of marshmallows in it, making a portrait of me out of beads, braiding a bracelet from shiny metallic cords, drawing pictures of her and me as snowman and snowgirl, and watching television programs that could seriously melt an adult brain. If it wasn't making life really difficult for a lot of people, I'd say "Let it snow!"

4. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

Had fun this morning, scraping ice off the truck windows.

After sending my GF off to work and relocking the outer gate I noticed that it's 31 degrees here in Houston, Texas.

Brrrr.

eldar

5. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

-9 This morning when I took my brother in law to work. Let the truck sit running for 15 minutes because the only upgrade it doesn't have on it is heated seats. At least I didn't have to scrape any ice.

6. That's it i should have moved to Utah. I thought it was cold there....:(

It hasn't been above -2 here in PA for 2 weeks.

The weather man was excited today because it was going to be clear sunny skies and +24 today! tomorrow 0 and 3 more inches of snow.

Oddly we made it through dec. like it was still fall. January and February have been brutal

$750 worth of propane later. Im begging it to warm up so i dont have to order more. :mad:

7. I'm in Wisconsin, I had to drive 304 miles 6 hours north to find enough snow to play in. We snowmobile and love love the white stuff. But I hate skiers. They can have their snow made on their little hills.. We need it over hundreds of miles. We did manage to put on 870 miles in 5 days. What a hoot!!

8. We got a total accumulation of 2ft. The temps have been brutal. Tomorrow single digits for a high.

9. mr_flintstone

mr_flintstone Supporting Member

We got a foot yesterday. Not got that much at one time in SE KY in a while. Supposed get another 6 today and a low of -20 tonight. Dang this global warming!!!

10. Rachgier

My heating bills were outrageous. I said screw it and went with wood for heat. I keep a face cord on the side porch at all times and start out with 3 full cords out back in the shed. I'm down to my last cord but I've got 2 more on stand by.

11. Liberty

Liberty Shhh! Lifetime Supporter

About a foot of snow and more falling today, expect to get about 3 more inches today. Going to be -1 tonight and -15 tomorrow night. The drafty old house is requiring some creative ways to keep it warm.

The front sink is on a constant drip to keep the pipes from freezing, because at 15 below zero, no amount of insulation is going to keep them from freezing and busting. I'll deal with the gas & electric being higher as I'm getting it up to 70 inside to combat the below zero (got down to 49 inside last time) temps on the way. Water bill will probably be double and I could care less. Saves a multi-thousand dollar plumbing bill.

12. Rachgier

Have you tried heater tape under the foam pipe wraps? They are low voltage so they don't burn much juice, plug them in when you need them, unplug them when you don't. I actually have mine wired to a switch that controls an old out door walkway lighting timer. You can set the timer to kick on at night or pull the "off" tab from the timer and leave it on 24/7. The knuckleheads who plumbed the addition the previous owner put on the kitchen put the supply lines directly against the exterior wall. (Plumbing 101 Fail)

13. SteveC

SteveC Member

WV
    I hear that. A spike in the water bill is nothing compared to the cost of busted pipes, especially with the temp being what it is and how hard it will be to get a plumber with all the other busted pipes out there. Cabinet under the kitchen sink will be open and I'll have to leave the door cracked to the unheated cinder block room under the garage, since I have pipes exiting out there. That -15 will be the lowest temp I've seen since grad school in Connecticut and training year in Albany NY.

14. Typical Ohio. Morning is below zero, afternoon over 20, evening below zero again. Or below zero one day, above freezing the next, six inches of snow over night and back below zero.

Heck, some weeks we get below zero and +50 within three days.

15. Rachgier

Here ya go girls.

Snow squall just fired up. 1" in 15 minutes, and you can barely make out the neighbors truck across the street.

[​IMG]

16. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

What snow? SW MN and bare ground. -12 this morning and -45 wind chills. Sucked the heat from the house, nat gas furnace cycled a few times to supplement the corn stove that is running full blast. Wen through 120 pounds of corn in the last 24 hours.

17. MXGreg

MXGreg Supporting Member

I'm in Minnesota also. Anyone want to borrow my snowblower? :D

18. Rachgier

I bought a plow for my truck, but thanks anyways. :p

19. papataylor

papataylor Member

-14 here in SWVA a little over a foot of global warming with more on the way.

Duck huntin weather..... Just a month late.....

20. Bastards!!! All this talk of snow... I can't wait to get on the sleds again!! You guys with your foot, two foot of snow, I'M JEALOUS!! you don't know what your missing!