All you Mosin Nagant Guys....What do I have?

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Vstromper, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Vstromper

Vstromper Guest

This was a spur of the moment thing so I'm not sure how good this deal was.

I saw this add:

[​IMG]

So I bought this:

[​IMG]

And it came with this:

[​IMG]

And it has one of these:

[​IMG]

It looks like they even gave it a new serial#:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It looks like its in really good shape. It was not covered in cosmolene. It is clean and ready to shoot and the Stock looks great.

I don't know anything about them other than what I've read this afternoon but I have seen them on here so I figured y'all would know.

I don't know if you can make out the Hammer and Cycle stamp in the last photo and the date (1944)

I'm going to shoot it Saturday and let you know how it does.

Any info or good links would be apreciated.

Thanks,

2. Most will recommend that you have the head spacing checked before you shoot it just to be sure it is safe.

Other than that it looks like you got an excellent deal on a sweet rifle. Once in awhile Dunham's will sell the M44's at $99 each but most times are at $129. The regular price in your ad shows $189, a price that sounds a little high to me.

Your gun appears to have beautiful wood grain. Some do, some don't. Both ways makes the gun character IMO. The one I have is a little lite on the grain if memory serves me right. The M44 usually demands higher money because, I assume, it has the folding bayo and is over all shorter. My next will hopefully be an M44 but I won't pass up another M91/30 if the mood strikes me.

Good job and good buy. Be sure to give us a range report too!

3. JasonJ

JasonJ Member

its an M44 carbine. made in the first year for the carbine, 1944. It looks to be in excellent shape and for $89 id go buy 1 or 2 more..seriously.

be prepared for fireball heaven. hey you DID buy some ammo for it right?

4. +1000!!

5. Ari

Ari Guest

Has it got a star or a triangle with a arrow in it on he receive?

6. Looks like it might be a Tula.

7. great gun my friend. I got two of them in the last month at big five. one a M44 and one a 91\30. I do love those guns I have 4 now

8. Ari

Ari Guest

That is what I was thinking.. It looked like the top of a star.

9. Vstromper

Vstromper Guest

It has a triangle with an arrow.

What does that mean?

10. Vstromper

Vstromper Guest

The head space was checked and it was test fired and cleaned before sale.

11. Ari

Ari Guest

12. Mike_AZ

Mike_AZ U.S.S. Member

Big5 has M44s or 91/30s on "sale" for that price 2 or 3 weeks of every month

13. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

Got two M44s from Centerfire Systems for $50 each, after shipping. Still waiting to go pick them up, until my freaking CWP shows up...

14. Very nice looking rifle, you made a good deal if you asked me.

15. I wish we had a Big Five around here in SC.
    Spot

16. Space

Space Member

NH
  17. I just bought 3 Mosin Nagant 91/30's at Big 5 for 79.00 each. I'll probably get a few more if the prices stay that low. The store I went to only had one m-44 for 89.00, but the stock looked like someone used it for a hammer. Had To pass on that one.

18. Vstromper

Vstromper Guest

Went to the gun club this evening.

Dissapointed...

Shoots 6 inches left at 25 yards. That's like 4 feet off target at 200 yards.

The sights to not appear to be adjustable. Will need to do some research.

It is consistent though. I got some real nice groups (less than 1") and a couple of clovers but everything is 6" left.

(I did have the bayonette deployed as I read that they are more accurate that way.)

19. Mike_AZ

Mike_AZ U.S.S. Member