Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
2400 is alittel ont eh slow side for 9mm. its more deisgned for big magnum pistol rounds and small rifle rounds. you could use 38 spl data and cut back 25% to start with. there is no factory data for it so use at your own risk.

SW

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
SW

Ive been wanting to try a semi light 9mm (95-100gr) with a slightly slower powder like #7 or BlueDot in my carbine.

Any suggestions between the 2? Both have been recommended. My current ones are 102gr hardcast (21..really hard) with Tightgroup and i want to try something else. My theory is by using the lighter weight i gain some space and it should help keep the bolt closed long enough. I wont be using it on anything over a 115gr and i have found some reloading data. Im trying to stay slightly under real +P pressures too.

Sorry if its a hijack but at least im slightly on topic. :D

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
i use blue dot in my worked up carbine load that everybody around here likes, never tried #7 in it. as for bullet weight ive never gone under 115, thats they weight mine shoots best with. smaller 9mm bullets are made by shortening the ogive of the bullet, the bearing surface is the same length. ill see if ii can find some of my 90 gr loads later and ill post pics of them vs 115 124 and 147

SW

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
SW is it ok if you PM me your results with BlueDot. It appears to be just slightly slower than AA#7 and i want a powder that is safer for a 9mm reloading novice.

Ive reloaded MANY other calibers but this is my first time using hard cast and rimless semi auto handgun ammo. All my loads will be on a single stage press and all charges are weighed on a beam and electronic scale for added safety. Im trying to keep pressures in the 33,000 range or lower. 35,000 is the max im willing to try.

I dont have to use hard cast either, i have a good source/supply for Montana Gold 115gr JHPs i can use instead. The majority of my US brass in CCI Bazer brass and Federal. The rest is S&B which i hope will work for my "close to" +P loads. I want to stay away from full 38,000 +P and see what shoots best in the 1500fps+ carbine loads if its possible.

I will be getting a cheaper Chrono very soon to test all the commercial plinker loads i have and compare them to mine and a friend's reloads.

Ive notices that many of the light +P loads give up a fair amount of accuracy and these 105gr VERY hard cast look like a possible compromise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts