Almost broke my son's nose...

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by lklawson, Apr 30, 2015.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I very nearly broke the kid's nose Tuesday night.

During a martial arts training session, constables truncheon against slungshot (improvised flail common in the 19th century), he side-stepped when I told him to back-step. Fortunately, I was using a padded training baton, was going slow, and "pulled" the hit when I realized that he was going the wrong direction. But it still tweaked across his nose. No injury but it "hurt a really bunch."

[​IMG]

Versus

[​IMG]

I felt bad for him. :(

On the other hand, the little punk has bloodied my own nose and even broken my foot in various martial arts training sessions.

Hmm... Maybe I don't feel quite so bad after all...

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

2. HiPointArmorer

HiPointArmorer Member

WA
    Glad hes ok....reminds of when me and brother would start rough housing after watching Bruce Lee movies. We broke my mothers wedding vase. :' ( One time it happened after we got back from a fishing trip, the fishing poles were laying in the living room floor. I landed on one, fish hook went straight through my toe. LMAO

3. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    When I saw this post on KTOG, the context of the thread made me think that you were referring to a wayward youth who had presumed too much in his manner of speech with you. I was glad to see that it was actually a more amicable scenario.:cool:

4. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

That's exactly what made me think of putting it in there. :)

He was still pretty pissed at me when it happened. I haven't yet pointed out to him the injuries which he has visited upon me. ;)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

5. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

It's pretty straight forward really;
    You listen, less pain
    You no listen mo pain
    I'd like to say that's what my Sensai came up with but no, I made that up.
    I was kicked off karate......no pun intended.

6. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

It happens.... tell him not to get his nose all out of joint over it. :rofl:

7. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

My oldest sister gave me a concussion when she broke a broom handle over my head. When mom got home I had her pinned in the bathroom ready to return the favor... yeah we played rough some times!

8. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

When I used to coach wrestling, I had a hoss of a heavyweight I had to physically demonstrate his bad habits to.... I'd tell him three or four times not to push while we were tied up..... He didn't listen, so I'd throw him with as much air as I could..... Then we'd end up with me on top and him on bottom, and I'd tell him, quit reaching back when I have a leg in..... Again, no listen, so he got the guillotine.... Eventually he got better....

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Doing some light padded touch sparring in a Karate class, I threw a front kick, rotated the hips into a roundhouse. My partner blocked the faked groin kick, when I turned it over, he basically turned and hit my foot with his face.:(
    It didn't hit hard, but it hit full on flush, and he had braces. I felt bad, he bled pretty good.:(

In a judo class I tried a re-throw technique on a basic hip throw...I got the guy off the ground...right over my center, halfway through the throw, before I stalled out. I dropped him right on top of myself, as solid and centered as possible, with me falling flat on my back under him. Good thing he was a lighter guy, I was able to breathe after a while, no broken ribs.:rolleyes:

10. Bull

That had to look graceful!...

11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Poetry in motion, brother, true art.;)

The weird sucking sound after, though...not so much.:rolleyes:

12. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Yeah, things can go pear shaped. Fortunately, in a well run class, it's usually not as injurious as it could be. Judo today is often afflicted with wannabe tough guys who don't know the difference between sparring for practice ("randori") and full on competition ("shiai") and that gets people injured. We've managed to keep them out of the club where I'm at, but it's a real problem for a lot of other clubs.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

13. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I think my son had to learn the hard way too :D

He has the scars to prove it!

14. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Knowing the crazy, dangerous, things that most of us guys do growing up, I'm frankly a little shocked at the fact that the vast majority of us survive to adulthood, nevermind that we do it with most of our body still intact and functioning. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

15. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Modern Medicine trumps prospective Darwin Award Recipients stupidity, in most cases.
    That is if someone finds them before the Grim Reaper! :eek:

16. Bull

There but for the grace of God, go I!