Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
28,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Someone down the street keeps letting a pair of Pits get out. They've been running around the neighborhood. I regularly find their feces in my yard. Two days ago they came into my yard, to my back-yard fence and were aggressively barking at my 13-yo daughter and new dog (a skittish Mountain Feist mix - smallish dog). Yesterday, as I was cleaning up my garage for weekly Recreational Violence, they showed up in my driveway (about 3-car-lengths long in total) barking at me. No collars, harness, leash, or tags (tags are required in Huber).

Because I'd changed cloths to go work in the garage, I'd neglected to pocket my usual pocket-380. But this is "The Carport of Calamity." Swords, knives, tomahawks, etc. So I snatched up a giant knife made from a cut down saber (think of the broken saber from Chuck Connors' "Branded" tv series), and grabbed a big ol' stick (should have grabbed a 'hawk instead of the stick).

Now, because there's two Pitties acting aggressive (by threatening my daughter) and they've already proved that they think of my property as their domain (by crapping in it), I should have bee scared, or at least a ton more cautious. Two of them, right? But I go out there to either run them off of my property or kill them. I was pissed.

When I confront them with forceful movement, they maintain distance, backing away, but not giving up on the aggressive behavior. About that time some middle aged black woman with a thin tree branch in her hand starts calling for them from about 1 yard (home length) away. She was on my neighbor's sidewalk, not hers. I yell at her, "Are these your dogs?" "Yes," she replies. "GET THEM THE HELL OFF OF MY PROPERTY!!!" She yells back, "You let me get my dogs," she says. I yell at her again, "GET THEM THE HELL OFF OF MY PROPERTY!!!"

The woman didn't seem very happy with me but I don't think she knows how close she was to me putting 15 inches of steel into her damn dogs.

I'm sure she thinks they're sweet, good natured, family pets but I simply can not have aggressive dogs from a breed which was bred to fight coming into my yard, being aggressive and asserting dominance. The best they can hope for is the dogs get pepper sprayed and the cops get called. Good chance I'll fscking shoot them next time.

She wants Pitties, wolf-hybrids, or demon-possessed Kujo in her own home, whatever. I don't care. It's perfectly reasonable to expect that if I went onto her property without her permission that her dogs would eat me and crap out little bits of bone an buttons that used to be Kirk. But when they become a danger to my family, they become likely recipients of extra holes.

You can bet that I won't forget to drop that 380 in my pocket again; maybe the PF9. You might also expect a loaded rifle or shotgun by the door.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
No Longer Here
25,053 Posts
As an owner of scary type dogs, do what you gotta do. I was always fully aware that just being pitbulls was enough to get my dogs shot, regardless of their training and demeanor, so I took extra care to keep them secure and introduce them to the neighborhood with lots of walking.

Your neighbor is an asshole and I would be figuring out where to send the law, if I were you. It doesn't matter the breed, that's an attack waiting to happen.

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
Neighbor across the street kept having some huskies going after the horses, then went after his littlest daughter(about 7 years old, I can't keep track!) when she went to to calm the horses down. Neighbor didn't hesitate, he put a bullet in both. Owner had a fit and brought it up at a city council meeting. Bad move. He got his butt chewed, he had been warned that several of us were ready to shoot them(they had growled at me but didn't come at me) if they didn't keep them in a pen(chain is illegal now in this town for more than an hour, can thank druggie former neighbor for that one, he chained his mutt out for 12+ hours a day, guy across the street filed a complaint with the city council).

People who don't control their large dangerous dogs should be banned from having them.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Perhaps you should go see your neighbor and gently but clearly explain that while they may sweet dogs within her family unit, when they act aggressively towards you and your family unit they are seen as a life threatening menace. Be tactful but make it clear that you will defend your family from a dog attack with deadly force if required, and perhaps it would be best if she not allow her dogs to roam the neighborhood off leash. You don't want to make an enemy of your neighbor but you need to let her know that her dogs are threats and you will do what it takes when defending your family. If it persists, call Animal Control and/or the cops but let her know that cops or not, you'll defend your family.

Oh, and you should return to her the presents that her dog left in your yard.

·
Administrator
28,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Perhaps you should go see your neighbor and gently but clearly explain that while they may sweet dogs within her family unit, when they act aggressively towards you and your family unit they are seen as a life threatening menace. Be tactful but make it clear that you will defend your family from a dog attack with deadly force if required, and perhaps it would be best if she not allow her dogs to roam the neighborhood off leash. You don't want to make an enemy of your neighbor but you need to let her know that her dogs are threats and you will do what it takes when defending your family. If it persists, call Animal Control and/or the cops but let her know that cops or not, you'll defend your family.

Oh, and you should return to her the presents that her dog left in your yard.
I'm not sure where she lives. Just the direction she was coming from down the block. I didn't want to follow her, particularly as her dogs were still running loose. But at least they were running towards her.

If I can figure it out, the idea of a polite visit has not escaped my consideration. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: Chef Duane

·
Administrator
28,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm at the police station now, waiting to fill out a report.

You guys are right that this needs documented, even if I don't know exactly where they are coming from.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
Even though I’ve been attacked multiple times by different dogs, I don’t have a fear of them. I respect them, their power and their ability to instantly switch to violence.

I don’t give any dog a but one chance anymore. I yell at them to leave and if they don’t I go after them. I’ve found that works.

The times I got physically attacked I tried to back away. Three times I didn’t even get that chance.

Only once was near what I would consider their turf. EVERY time I got attacked (and I don’t mean postured or threatened) was someone’s family pet. Strays don’t want to fight.

If you don’t keep your dog in control, you don’t care enough about it for me to care. And no, voice doesn’t count as control.

Reactions: Rerun

·
Super Moderator
9,520 Posts
I'm at the police station now, waiting to fill out a report.

You guys are right that this needs documented, even if I don't know exactly where they are coming from.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)
Yeah, as I was reading this I was thinking you need to document this. I do not know your state laws, but in mine they have passed laws making it a felony to kill or injure dogs unless they are a threat. Posturing may, or may not constitute a threat.

I believe this is due to hunting dogs being killed. Hounding is still popular here in certain areas. I understand that still and stand hunters killing deer dogs is what got the laws on the books.

Reactions: Quavodus

·
Premium Member
3,314 Posts
I would have no qualms with swinging a club or other weapon at a normal sized dog that was charging at me. Very likely I would not shoot a dog unless I felt serious bodily injury or death was upon me or someone else. I would not want to deal with the consequences of shooting.

·
No Longer Here
25,053 Posts
I just had two dogs charge me and Ahyoka on our nightly walk around the park... fortunately they were puppies and she scared the fuck out of them when she squared up and started growling. The owners came running over, apologizing, and I actually bit my tongue because they had little kids with them.

·
Administrator
28,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cop took my report. Turns out that I'm not the first to complain about these particular dogs. Shocking, I know. :rolleyes:

I didn't follow the owner to her home because I didn't want to force a confrontation. So I didn't know exactly where she lives. That makes it impossible for the cops to officially go deal with the dogs on my behalf. But they know where the dogs are and who they belong to. I got the usual "call us if you see them out again so we can go get them" and then a reminder that if they're on my property and threatening me that I would be within my rights to "do what you gotta do."

Anyway, there's an official record of the event now.

Truthfully, I don't want to have to hurt the dogs. I want the owner to keep her dogs under control. But based on how often they seem to get out and the fact that the dogs are not collared or tagged, I don't have a lot of confidence this will happen.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

• Wow

·
Premium Member
Everything
3,064 Posts
Earlier this season, these two huge beasts showed up at the nursery. 1 male, 1 female, both intact, both had dried blood and filth all over them, and the female had severe hip dysplasia. Huge muscles but you could count their ribs and the spaces between. Coworker has a soft heart and fed them while I called animal control. They were very sweet, though I had my doubts, they looked like a couple of dog fighting escapees. Animal control showed up and she knew their names. The female even tried jumping in immediately when she opened up her dog cage hatches, as if to say yeah, I know the drill, this ain't my first rodeo. No harm done, though I don't know what happened to them.
Then a month later a contractor I've known for damn near 20 years brought her newly adopted clean "trained" English springer spaniel in and it bit me so fast and hard when my hand barely waved in its general direction, that I bled like a stuck pig and my hand was out of commission a few days, and I have quite a lovely scar to go with the story.

·
Premium Member
21,620 Posts
My biggest dog is not aggressive towards people. She is towards other dogs to the point of she establishes she's the boss then lets up. She got out of my fenced in yard. Told my neighbor's wife to grab he collar so I could get her/ "Will she bite me?" "No." "If she ever gets out and attacks your dogs shoot her. I won't be mad."

Yes, this is the one that almost killed one of my dogs. She stopped that. It took paying more attention to her. Now if I could get the other one to stop snarling for no reason over the food.

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
We recently adopted a Pitbull mix 2 year old. He is not aggressive at all. That being said we don't give him the opportunity to be aggressive. If he leaves the yard it is with one or more of us on a strong collar and leash. He bolted out the door once right after we brought him home, but he ran straight across the street to a small automotive spring repair shop owned by good friends of ours. When he got there he ran up to one of the owners, sat and wagged his tail, thank God. He is actually a sweet boy, and no he's not intact. Our only real problem with him is running to our door in the evening when he sees the stray cats out the window.
As for your situation, Kirk, I don't blame you i feel the same about aggressive animals, I don't want to hurt one but if it put me in that position I'll do what I have to. Our local police officers are the same as there, they would tell you the same as you were told. Be wary of these two. Here's hoping you can catch them out and get the authorities there in time for them to catch these two.

Reactions: lklawson

·
Administrator
28,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I haven't seen them or evidence of them for a week or two now so either the message finally sank in or, more likely, someone else reported them and the dogs were taken.

In any case, I haven't seen them for a little while.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts