Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am going to be taking my carry class in July,birthday present to myself,and i was thinking of alternate methods to CC.While browsing around walmarts website i did a quick search for "holster" just to see what would result.Well i came across this

This gave me a weird idea,of which i seem to be full of.I was thinking i could get a hunk of foam,shape it to fit the bag,then cutout a space to snugly hold a small frame pistol.Be honest,would this be stupid?I was thinking of attatching a belt clip upside down,something that would clip up under a belt to keep it in place should a need to draw arise.So basically it would go over the shoulder,from weak to dominant or vice versa,then clip onto a belt to hold it in place.Sorry if this sounds stupid, i am sure after re reading it it will to me,but it's late and my brain is in Macgyver mode for some reason.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
How quick can you draw from it?
It was the deal-ender when i saw the "Smart Carry" as I always wear a belt.

G

·
Just a couple of quick observations: Something like that, begs attention. If you live in a area that is well populated, people will see it. Seeing that camera logo, some might want to rip it off from you.
On the other hand, when you carry like that, locals might ask why you carry a camera all the time. Then someone might ask to see the camera.....

Just observations, my man. Glad to think that people are thinking of ways to carry concealed.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Another thing to think about is it's begging to be snatched. Many thieves watch for these dangly things, especially high end cameras. And who usually walks around with a camera everywhere they go? Tourists. And what do tourists usually have? Lots of cash. All making tourists prime targets for snatches and stick ups. Just something I thought of.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
All the above, plus you need to practice with your carry method and be able to get there without thinking about it. While a belt clip would help, that's a lot of size there and were you to be moving, that thing's gonna move about too.

Drawing may also be a problem. When you pull top up, put hand in, if the foam "grabs" the gun or the sights, you may have trouble getting it out. That's time you may not have.

Honest input? There's quite a few commercial holsters/option out there. Not to squelch your creative side, but you should try those first.

Think of it this way. You're carrying to protect your LIFE. You've made great investment in your gun, bullets (100's due to practicing) and time/practice. Why take the edge off your blade with a suboptimal holster?

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
that would be a PITA to draw from. Think about it. Flip the top, then draw your weapon. too big a time lapse from when you realize you need it and can actually execute. If you carry it on your shoulder it will always be sliding off/ swinging back and forth. it is doesn't buck closed you could lean over and your weapon would fall out. If it snags on something inside the bag you will be lifting the bag as you attempt to draw. I could go on, but suffice it to say, there are tons of other options, dude. Blackhawk makes a wasit pack with a retention system. Woolrich makes a great concealment vest. Remember some things scream 'I have a pistol in here.' Nothing works better that a good holster on a belt, covered by a jacket or shirt. Everyone has different methods. Try several before you decide what works best for you.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the input.I guess i forgot to mention that it certainly wouldn't be used for full time carry.but more of a "day at the park" kind of deal.After a good nights sleep it does seem like it would be a bit obtrusive and probably a big ol PITA.Thanks for looking though and giving honest feedback.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts