Alternative gun storage

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by MXGreg, Apr 28, 2015.

1. MXGreg

MXGreg Supporting Member

I got tired of having multiple sheet metal gun cabinets, one Stack-on long gun cabinet, one Stack-on pistol cabinet, and another long gun cabinet I bought used. I wanted something bigger, and a little more secure, without going to a full blown safe that's the size of a small van. I did a little searching and saw something that some guys were doing. I thought it was a good idea and I like building things, so I set out looking for the perfect starting point. A week later I had what I was looking for.

[​IMG]

After a few days of gutting, cleaning, carpeting, and accessorizing, I ended up with this.

[​IMG]

It may not be as secure as a safe but it is a lot more stealthy (blends in nice with my slot machine and other stuff). It is more secure than the sheet metal cabinets though. The door has a nice gasket to seal out moisture and it is insulated so it should give some heat protection even though it's not fire proof. The area where the compressor was can hold a lot of ammo cans.

I'm really happy with the way it turned out. Now if only I had a gun to put in it (damn boat accident).

2. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Now that is interesting.

3. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Very nicely done lol

4. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

Thats cool! I want one

5. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

6. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Very cool!...... Fine piece of redneckgeneering!.

7. colthrash

colthrash Member

leave the coin slot operational, and spend the money on ammo...

8. Not2ManyGuns

Not2ManyGuns Member

Ah-Oh! Now that you posted that photo, all the thieving shiftless people on this forum will know where to look.:D

9. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Or leave the coin slot operational, and use it as an additional part of the security mechanism. $.50 In the slot before the key will work.:cool:

10. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

Very creative! Now you have things that go pop in a pop dispenser!

11. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Very neat. Good job. Despite the gasket seal, you'll still want some sort of desiccant or humidity control inside.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

12. rippinryno

rippinryno Well-Known Member

Very cool! I'm in the market for a gun safe. Currently my safe is the walk in closet and it's getting a bit cluttered.

13. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

Very nice !! :D , I use a snap on roll-away for my firearms and ammo

14. MXGreg

MXGreg Supporting Member

If you notice the white oval shaped thing in there, that's one of those desiccant dehumidifiers.

15. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Is it the Eva-Dry? Some of the items were easy to identify like the bucket-o-bullets and the wheelgun speedloaders. Some were more guesswork. Wasn't sure about desiccant. They come in so many shapes and sizes. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

16. 0311

0311 Member

How much was the machine? Where did you find it?

I like the idea of HIDING your stuff in plain sight.

17. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

That is <radio edit> awesome. I have one of those sitting broken down at the fire station. I would love to steal your idea, and I just may once we get settled.

18. MXGreg

MXGreg Supporting Member

I put an ad on Craigslist that I was looking for an old pop machine, working or not. Prices ranged from $50 to $200. I paid $100 for this one just for the fact it was close to me. I'm sure if you look around you may be able to pick one up for free. A lot more people have them around than you'd think.

Also, do a google search for "pop machine gun safe" to get ideas. Mine's not the first one.

19. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Well, I'll never be able to build one then. I can only find SODA machines around here.....

:doh:

20. MXGreg

MXGreg Supporting Member

I had that problem when I moved out to Colorado. I'd ask for a pop and would get a funny look and a "What?". Had to learn how to ask for a soda. Moved back to Minnesota and had to revert back to asking for a pop. At least you don't live down south where everything is a Coke.