Alternative weapons for survival?

Discussion in 'The Archery Zone' started by wizard, Sep 22, 2015.

1. wizard

wizard Well-Known Member

How about bows, crossbows or combat knives? Bullets got to run out sometime ;)

I have a compound but I know a take down recurve would have a lot less
    moving parts to go wrong with it in the field. Problem is I can't hit anything
    with a recurve...

Samurai sword?

2. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

Spears and slings.

Relatively easy to make and use.

Make more than one spear and pre-select river stones for Your sling.

eldar

3. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

$10 on Amazon. You can use ball bearings, pellets, expended bullets, marbles, even rocks.

[​IMG]

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

4. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Cold Steel Bushman. ~$30 on Amazon. One of the few knives which you can stow small survival items in the handle and yet is durable enough to actually use. You can also mount it as a spear.

[​IMG]

And don't underestimate machete. I like the ones with a knuckle-bow best.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

5. wizard

wizard Well-Known Member

I agree they have been used in many wars to great effect.

6. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

www.m4040.com

Sells hand crafted spear points and knives fashioned from sawsall blades.

They are pretty good.

eldar

7. I have a cross bow i bought for $80 from rural king. I will probably buy a few spare strings for it. and some cheap arrows.

They would be great for hunting small up to large game. only problem is broad heads for large game are pricey.

for food, guns, slingshots, and bows are probably the best bets. and dont forget to buy some seeds or something. growing food in the summer is a nice thing to have.

as for weapons. in the the apocalypse i imagine everything to be fair game and the only limit is your imagination.
    obviously guns, bows, sling shot, anything that throws stuff.

But axe's, hatchets, shovel's sharpen to points make pretty good stabbers. so do, old garden hoe's.

I like to stay as far away from stuff as possible. so while knives will be a good choice, I like things with a reach.

8. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

"Beat your plowshares into swords and your pruning hooks into spears."

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

9. I guess that means I'm not the first with that idea. :p

I Hadn't thought about the loppers before though...

10. wizard

wizard Well-Known Member

I think a pellet gun would come in handy for small game like squirrel. Could carry a lot more
    pellets than a box of .22's.

I think a pellet gun paired with a real rifle might be good. Have a good knife as well.

11. thundercroozer

thundercroozer Supporting Member

Thanks for the link Elder,, haven't looked at anything on the sight,, because I haven't been able to get past the... a$$hole files page :) :D :rofl: :rofl:

12. I agree, but i never get a good pellet gun. Because they cost as much as a cheap 22LR. and have less than half the power.

Only advantage to me is cheap ammo (the good stuff really isn't) and they are quiet.

13. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

True.

But even the cheap pellet guns are good for killing squirrel at 50 or 60 feet.

The informal not-exactly-scientific tests I've done on my little refurbed Daisy indicates to me that it clearly can deliver enough energy on target to hunt the small game at those distances. And the cheap pointed "hunting pellets" are plenty accurate at those ranges.

So, yeah, for less than $50, including the pellets, I have a cheap squirrel-getter.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

14. Maybe I will grab one of those.

Little tip for those planning on squirrel's for food in SHTF.

Walnut shells are great bate
    Squirrells love walnuts, and they will sift through a pile of shells and husks looking for the goods. in the fall when they stary falling on the road scoop them up, steal the nuts. then toss them in the yard for some squirrel war.

15. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

What model do you have, Kirk? I used to have the Crossman pellet version of the Python - wish I still had that thing - it was sweet!

16. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

17. wizard

wizard Well-Known Member

I know a lot of the guys in England, have great success killing both rabbits and squirrels with 11 ft lbs rifles...I think its said 5 ft lbs is enough for a head shot.

18. wizard

wizard Well-Known Member

Here is a AR-15 Style. Its a gasram so you only have to cock it once. .177 caliber and around $120 Crosman MTR77 NP

[​IMG]

19. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I have to learn to use it, first, but one of those traditional slings like David used to sleigh Goliath would be good to have. After rubber tubing ran out, it would take the place of the slingshots out there, and I have heard some good things about it's range. It also can go right into a pocket much more easily.

20. 556

556 Member

A Knife, Machete and Sling

you can tie the knife to a stick and make a spear. for fishing hunting and other stuff...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015