Alternative weapons for survival?

Discussion in 'The Archery Zone' started by wizard, Sep 22, 2015.

1. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

I have a machete already, the real deal, from the African bush.

I definitely plan on getting and getting familiar iwth a sling. I had one when i was a boy, man, fun times. I was pretty good with it too.

I do need to get a good knife.

My buddy has some AWESOME air rifles, capable of taking coyotes. Biggest problem with them is that you need to pump them to about 3000psi. And you only get a few good quality shots before you run out of air. But, yeah, it's not a cheap date. Over $500 for sure. He's got a few good spring loaded ones, more than capable to take a rabbit, but those aren't cheap either and they are single shots.

Never considered a cheap pellet rifle for small game though, thatch a good idea.

Honestly, I REALLY want to pick up a few throwing knives and learn to use those too.

2. wizard

wizard Well-Known Member

No one mentioned a tomahawk? You can cut wood and it can be used
    as self defense in a pinch too I guess.

Hope the lights never do go out :eek:

3. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

4. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Like this one? It's pretty nifty.

Attached Files:

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
  6. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
  7. Cheaper to learn how to make gunpowder and primer compounds than to buy an alternate weapon. If you have urine and wood, powder and primer compounds can be made.

There is a practical reason that what are called alternate weapons today were rapidly replaces by firearms centuries ago. And that reason wasn't either excess money or time. It was a matter of survival.

8. Think1st

Florida
    That urine and wood idea piques my curiosity. It might be interesting to see if used primers could be flattened back out and then reused. The only question I have is, would those primers be corrosive?

9. The loads are common.Other than .22's,I suppose they are readily available.Everybody will have 'em.

10. VinnieD

VinnieD Member

Primers can be rebuilt if you can make the needed priming compound. Easiest way is to grind up strike anywhere matches, or use toy cap gun caps. It's time consuming, but I've done it, and it works. Still I'd rather grab one of my bows if I ran out of ammo.

The compound bow is powerful and accurate, but heavy, and more difficult to maintain. The recurve is light, and while it requires more skill, is pretty simple, and much less likely to fail aside from needing a new string now and again. Additionally, you'll need carbon or aluminum arrows for a compound bow as it will break wooden arrows before they're off the string. That limits your options for arrows, while you can keep making new arrows for a traditional bow from feathers, sticks, and bits of metal.

11. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I have one. They're pretty good but I wish it had a longer handle.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

12. Think1st

Florida
    A longer handle could certainly give you more reach. As it is designed, though, it has a pretty nice balance to it, and it doesn't take of as much space stowed on the outside of a BoB.

You could probably mount it onto a longer handle if you wanted to make it more specific for self defense. Future project, maybe?

Attached Files:

13. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

That tomahawk has been on my wishlist for several months now. (sigh!)

14. 556

556 Member

Bow and arrow... FTW

15. With those as the raw material, they would be non-corrosive.

PS
    You would need salt to make a corrosive primer. Corrosive primers are much less work.

Get an AK, SKS or early Type-99 rifle. You then won't fear corrosive primers and safely make bullets from 5/16 bolts.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  16. Making it from matches or toy caps is harder than making it from scratch.

Priming compound is easy, fast and cheap make. About $0.80 per thousand for the simplest corrosive one. No special knowledge or equipment needed to do it.

The details of doing it has been declared verboten on this forum. If it wasn't deleted after being ban here, there should still enough info in a couple of thread here to get one going. Also, there is a current sticky thread on a different forum in it's Special Projects section that has pages of info on making both corrosive and non-corrosive mixes.

For SHTF using a bow and arrow is a romantic thought and not practical survival plan.

17. Think1st

Florida
    I have the first two, as well as a 91/30, but I have only found surplus ammo for the 91/30. I don't have any fear of corrosive primers after having first used the surplus 7.62x54 when I got my first Mosin. I just swab the bore with some ammonia at the range, right after finishing my session, and then I pour some into the bolt to deactivate the corrosive salts in the firing pin hole. When I get home, I then do a thorough cleaning and relube with my favorite, Frog Lube.

I did see a video, quite some time back, where Iraqveteran8888 shot an SKS with corrosive surplus ammo and then left it unattended to show what it would do. After the several weeks that he left it dirty, he was able to clean it back up and get rid of the rust with some elbow grease and solvent. It actually didn't do any catastrophic harm, and I was pretty surprised.

18. wizard

wizard Well-Known Member

Compound Bow and make sure you have a bow press...extra strings and everything.

Problem is you can't make arrows for it like the recurve or long bows.

19. wizard

wizard Well-Known Member

Shooting a through a frying pan

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzeR7rMnOx8[/ame]