Aluminum Again

Discussion in 'Caliber Zone' started by TNTRAILERTRASH, Aug 30, 2015.

1. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

I went through a bunch of Federal aluminum in all 3 flavors yesterday. I have had some come out of the box with set back. I threw 2 .40's away. Being a high pressure round with the heavy 180g weight I didn't want to take the chance of a KB. Research on .40 bullet weigh is the heavier it is? More chance setback will increase your chance of a KB.

One of my 4595's has a problem feeding off the top of the mag and just feeding. With the jams I got varying degrees of setback. I threw away one round. I also found a spent casing with a very long crack that was 3/4 of the length.

I think I will separate this stuff from my stash and eventually burn it up and not replenish it.

2. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    You should save the rounds, pull the bullets and use them and the powder.
    Fire the empty cases to ignite the primers. I doubt you can pull a live primer,
    and I would not recommend trying.

Bullets are still good, powder is too.

I saw a guy on youtube shooting glue stick "bullets" loaded in a case that was
    primed. Shot it completely through a thick cardboard box, both sides! :eek:

3. TNTRAILERTRASH

Not having reloading stuff i guess I could save them in a baggie somewhere. I would like to do it eventually.

No problems with the 9's so far except for an empty casing sticking in my M&P Shield. It had 500+ through it of varying ammo. It might have been time to clean the chamber.

4. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

You can pop out a primer. Not recommending it bit I do it

5. moona11

I pop them out just be carefull .

6. moona11

Rubber bullets????

7. TNTRAILERTRASH

Can I take this opportunity to say, "mOOnZieII" was right? This stuff is crap.

8. moona11

I am god tell Rippy :-D

9. rippinryno

rippinryno Well-Known Member

i shoot the daylights out of fed aluminum ammo, 40sw and 9mm. the alum 40sw is about all my hp gets. never had a problem with it.

10. TNTRAILERTRASH

I will tell you the same thing. I have a sh!t load of it i the cabinet. Just letting you know what my recent experience is. Make sure you check every round you put in the mags especially in .40. Take it or don't. You may prevent a nasty injury or catastrophic failure.

11. moona11

12. rickm

rickm Member

I have also removed live primers before with no problems.
    And i make rubber bullets for my 38 by taking a hot glue gun and filling a bullet mold just like you do with lead they are great for shooting indoors just to get some trigger time all you need is a way to prime a empty case and take your finger and push the rubber bullet into case and you can reuse them over and over.

13. moona11

Neat idea. How loud are they and would it cycle a gun?

14. moona11

Would be a nice way to test a gun

15. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    I have seen a video of shooting the foam earplugs with just primers. I don't think any of the just primer loads will cycle an action.

Wait for what?

16. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    He's waiting for a catastrophic failure with aluminum ammo...

17. rippinryno

rippinryno Well-Known Member

what am i looking for? the bullet not fully seated?

18. thundercroozer

thundercroozer Supporting Member

Never done it that way,, for my .38 & 357mag. always used the parafin wax blocks you can get in the canning section,, there about 3x5 and about 5/16" thick. Just put in a new primer and push the case thru the block of wax.

Moona,, I've used them in 45's,, they wont cycle thru a semi-auto,, even went as far as putting in the lightest spring I had,, with no sucess..
    A p i t a but works better to chamber each round by hand. Cyclying them thru a mag,, they tend to get hung up on the feed ramp.

These are the first the first live fire rounds my kids and grandkids have fired before going to the .22

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  19. rickm

rickm Member

They sound the same as if you pop a primer.
    And as mentioned above they are really only good for revolvers since they dont have the power to make a semi function properly.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  20. moona11

Nope was waiting for post #17