Aluminum case federal 9mm

Discussion in 'General Hi-Point Discussion' started by hskr, Sep 29, 2014.

1. hskr

hskr Member

Anyone tried these? They have them at local Walmart for $10 for a box of 50

2. bluharley

bluharley Member

I got a box of those for my JCP. Next time I go to the range I'm going to shoot them up, some brass FMJ and some brass JHP see how things go.

3. cope

cope Member

Ive put about 300 of em through my C9 so far..... and have another 500 sitting on the shelf to fire ........ havent had a single problem with them........ the smoothest Ive shot so far........ of course everything else fired was before the gun got really broken in......... but for $10 a box I cant think of a reason not to use them as my primary target round

4. Haven't shot the federal but I've shot plenty of Blazer aluminum, excellent stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

5. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Blazer aluminum don't work with my HP 40 at all but worked in my M&P but left a lot of aluminum shavings to clean.

6. james45

james45 Member

Went in to get some cheap ammo and usually tula or brass blazer is the cheapest but I saw the aluminum for 9.98 a box,couldn't pass that up.its nice to get 100 rounds for 20 bucks,I love the 9mm.

7. Just walked out of my local Wally World, grabbed the only 2 boxes of Federal Aluminum .45, $14.97ea, grand total after tax $32.69... Not bad for 100rnds of .45 ..... Well I mean that's awful, ammo should be way cheaper, but that's not bad for these days...

8. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

I have shot the .40 in the carbine. It has some "umph" to it VS the Tula steel.

I bought some .45, and 9's. I will try the 9's this weekend.

9. hskr

hskr Member

Went hack and picked up three boxes of the 9mm. Who knows when I will get to shoot any of it.

10. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    Aluminum has greater expansion than brass. So Al casings "could" possibly get stuck in the chamber or split. The expansion in steel is less than brass. This allows powder residue blowback around the casing, sans - dirty ammo.

11. I've shot a lot of aluminum in my 995ts, it's been nothing but perfect, but this is true, and the case walls seem much thinner than brass, these are probably the reasons why they make it very clear that aluminum cases are not to be reloaded... Which is fine with me, since I don't reload, but I do recycle, few extra bucks for more ammo.

12. MotorCraftGT

MotorCraftGT Member

I just got four boxes (45ACP) - will try it soon.

13. TNTRAILERTRASH

I don't know why the case could be thinner. The bullet is the same size, and the chamber is the same size.

Aluminum should be annealed by heating it to the right temp. It's isn't like brass. Brass has to be annealed after enough use. I have fired reloaded 303 Enfields that split the case on use.

14. TNTRAILERTRASH

My question about aluminum would be the effects of moisture on the case for long term storage.

15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Aluminum is pretty stable in water. As in, they make boats out of it.;)

So the crimp and primer are the two places water could affect the bullet. Which is true of every bullet, regardless of case material.

16. TNTRAILERTRASH

They make boats out of steel too! It rusts, aluminum corrodes.

Now that you made me think...................we have a copper jacket inside an aluminum case. Two dissimilar metals. I remember reading where a woman took revenge on her husband by dumping a bag of pennies into the aluminum hull of her ex's catamaran. It eventually ate a hole in the bottom.

Maybe this stuff isn't a SHTF round?

17. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Pretty much shouldn't matter, no matter the composition of the bullet/case, if it's wet long enough to corrode, I'd wager its seeped into to powder.

18. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I live in the desert. I'm not worried about too much water, I'm worried about not enough.;)

19. TNTRAILERTRASH

Florida, Louisiana, Alafrikkenbama, Tennaasee, we all have high humidity. Some have gobs of salt in the air too.

20. I've never pulled a bullet and looked at an unfired aluminum case, I've only seen spent casings, so it's probably firing them that makes the case walls appear thinner.