Aluminum Top Rail for 995TS?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by wingman, Apr 11, 2015.

1. wingman

wingman Member

I have a 4 power scope mounted on my 995TS. I can only shoot 4-5 inch groups at 50 yards. Would a Longshot aluminum top rail help to tighten up my groups, or is this about as good as I can expect? Thanks!

2. talon

talon the banned wagon

Its not the rail or the scope. Sounds like you just need to practice more.

3. geekandwife

geekandwife Good ole Boy Member

A rail won't do anything unless your current rail is deforming every shot...

4. wingman

wingman Member

Thanks. I will practice harder. This will give me more money for ammo!:)

5. 0311

0311 Member

You didn't mention if that's off hand. A 4" group at 50 yds is not that bad. That's a heart shot in anybody's book. Try using a rest of some sort & see how you do.

6. wingman

wingman Member

Unfortunately, this is from a rest. I just wondered if the composite rail could be moving and flexing. I have several rifles, and the 995 TS shoots the largest groups by quite a bit.

7. 0311

0311 Member

I shoot my 4595ts indoors at 25 yds. I can hit the 10 ring consistently off hand with a red dot. I DO have the full aluminum top rail. ( If that matters ).

I think 50 yds is pushing it for a pistol caliber carbine. Do your shots group consistently in the same spot? If so, you may need to adjust your sights to compensate for the distance.

8. talon

talon the banned wagon

Unless something is pushing on the rail, there's no way for it to flex enough to throw off your groupings that much. Besides any slight flex that might be encountered would be offset by the scope mounts which would significantly stiffen the composite rail.

9. talon

talon the banned wagon

50 yards is a walk in the park for a pistol caliber carbine. 100 yards is done frequently by numerous members here. Especially with a scope 50 yards is nothing at all that the carbine can't handle like a pro. Even with irons 50yds is an easily easy shot for a carbine.

10. 0311

0311 Member

Not with my eyes !

11. talon

talon the banned wagon

That's completely different than what you originally said. Your eyesight not being the greatest doesnt mean a carbines limits are 50 yards. That's all you, dont blame the gun then.
    Big difference between "that's the limit of the gun" and "that's the limit of YOUR eyesight".

12. wingman

wingman Member

The scope I am using is a UTG 1-4.5x28. I was using a red dot sight with a single clamp on the rail and my groups were 4-5 inches. I thought if I went to a scope using magnification and two clamps, my groups would improve. Didn't happen.

Just after shooting the 995, I picked up my 10-22, with a 4 power scope, and put 30 rounds within two inches, so I can shoot smaller groups. As I think about these two guns, they are kind of similar, except for one thing.....the triggers. The trigger on the 10-22 is reasonable. The trigger on the 995 is long and hard. It may be just my trigger control on the 995. I will work on that for now. Thanks for the replies.

13. drscot

drscot Member

Wingman

Does your P.O.I. seem to change the more you shoot during each session? As the carbine heats up the composite rail CAN warp enough to affect your shooting. I have a Lucid HD7 that I put on an aluminum rail and now I shoot just as poorly as before. Seriously, there is enough give with the composite rail that I think it could throw your optics off and then revert to baseline when it cools off. I bought my rail because the Lucid and the existing Weaver rail didn't fit well. The Picatinny solved that. If you still have your iron sights you might try experimenting with the two. The aluminum Picatinny rails from the guy on Ebay are excellent and cheap enough. Mine fit perfectly and now heat warpage is no longer an issue. He has other parts for our carbines that Hi-Point doesn't have as well. Great quality, great prices, and great service.

14. wingman

wingman Member

drscot,

That could also be my problem. It seems I get the point of impact where I want it on my first few shots, and then it does start moving. It stays within 4-5 inches, but I could not figure out why it would move that much. Perhaps the top rail IS warping with the heat. I may have to try an aluminum top rail just to see. Thanks for your advice.

15. talon

talon the banned wagon

Unless your rapid firing multiple magazines in a row, i highly doubt the rail is being affected by the heat of the barrel. I call highly unlikely to the point of dang near impossible.

16. wingman

wingman Member

talon,

Thank you for your input also. I am still learning and you guys are great teachers. I probably need to practice more to find the real problem.

17. talon

talon the banned wagon

Make sure the scope is firmly tightened down in its mounts evenly, and also that the mounts are fully tightened to the rail. Dont overtighten or you'll strip the threads but ensure everything hasn't worked loose.

18. drscot

drscot Member

Wingman

The mounting could also be the issue with your scope like it was with my Lucid. You might be able to get a Picatinny designed optic to clamp down on a Weaver rail but it is not likely to fit properly and thus only a micro amount of give with your scope mount can make a significant difference in your P.O.I. Make sure what kind of rail your scope requires. If it is Weaver then that eliminates the fit possibility. If it calls for a Picatinny then save yourself a lot of headaches and spring for the aluminum Picatinny rail (two problems solved). I THINK it is only about $40 or so on Ebay but I don't remember. Could be more but isn't less. Keep us posted.

19. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

No Aluminum top rail required. Secure mounting, a good zero, and proper technique is all you need.

[​IMG]