Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a thought........

I went out today to shoot some reloads and the first shot seemed light, but it cycled and so I thought nothing of it, (should have checked things out) so I pulled the trigger again and fire and brimstone came out of the chamber and burnt my arm. From what I can see It seems that the first shot got stuck in the barrel because it either had no powder or just a light load. With the second shot, I now understand where the fire came from. The barrel is bulged just slightly about an inch or so from the end and it broke the iron sight.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
You had a squib and luck you do not have more serious injury. This is about the 4th squib story that I have read about on various forums in the last week or so. I think what is going on is that since ammo prices have risen, more and more beginners are getting into reloading and because they are newer and more inexperienced they are making mistakes and not checking and re-checking there equipment and loads. BE CAREFUL and spot check your loads.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
I don't think Ive ever heard of a squib load that was strong enough to cycle the slide (maybe this account is of a revolver or a bolt action or something like that) but yeah any time one feels that a round has less than normal recoil or a very silent report its time to clear the weapon and check for a lodged bullet in the barrel. Wow glad to hear you are ok...Step back and make sure to check your reloading process don't proceed until you are comfortable that it wont happen again.

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
This is another reason I'm glad I got a Lee Loader as my first foray. I wasn't interested in speed or volume and with the total handloading using a hammer not a press I make one round at a time and I haven't had a problem (knock on my wooden head). This is good advice though check and then check again. It's a fun hobby but one that requires attention. Once I begin to make a round I don't answer phone, get a pop etc. until it's complete. I by no means run in volume lol but I have fun and I think I'm gonna ask for a press kit for xmas, but I think it will only be a single stage and that will be plenty for me.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Even if you get a turret press you can set it up to work like a single stage if that's what you're comfortable with. I do it all the time with my .50 AE rounds and it works like a champ.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
As Primal says, don't discount the turret press. It can be used as a single stage or semi-progressive. I use mine both ways all the time. It also has the advantage of being able to use multiple turrets so you only have to set the dies 1 time and switching between calibers takes less than a minute. Takes longer to adjust the powder charge than it does to switch the dies. I look at each powder charge in the case when I'm placing a boolit for seating. So far (just over 4000 reloads) I have not made a squib. Knock on wood!

The rule of "double & triple check" is what keeps you safe. I also will not reload with any distractions other than music or NPR. No visiting, kids running in and out, wife wanting to talk, etc. I have to focus on what I'm doing and everyone has learned that. If I'm angry, distracted, or it's one of those stop and go nights I cast boolits and save the reloading for another time.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I started with a single stage, but have moved up to turret. but I just use it as a single stage lol. I make one round at a time. I charge one round and load the bullet. dont want any trouble with them. so it is always one round at a time. I only put powder in the round I am making right then, never more than that. Yeah, I am slow as molassis. but they shoot good, knock on wood, I have time so it works for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.