Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I don't know why, but somethings got me wanting to trade my AR for an FN PS90. I came close a couple times already to people wanting to make a trade, but chickened out before making an offer. Logically I shouldn't want a PS90. It's ammo is more expensive, less powerful, and harder to find. I must be nuts. But the PS90 does have some ups. First it's not fair to compare the two. They designed for totally different roles. The PS90 is designed as more of a self defense / personal defense weapon, not "assult", thus having the smaller caliber isn't a big deal, seeing that in turn it holds 50 rounds instead of the typical 30. The FN is a VERY fast weapon. I love almost everything about it, BUT it has some serious drawlbacks that I fear would make me regret it, and namely that's the cartridge size. What kind of hunting could I do with this? Small game, pig, varmint, that's about it. BUT I don't do any real hunting with my AR either, I just like the thought of being able to. Woe is me... thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
Keep the AR and save your beans for the PS90. Honestly, I don't think it's worth the $1600.00 they are asking for it.

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
The only problem that I see with a PS90 is that it's a solid PLASTIC gun. Only the internals are acutally metal. On your AR it's quite the opposite, most is metal few plastic parts = more durable and less likely to break.

Not saying that it's not cool, but I personally don't even want a PS90 and I once said I wanted to own 1 of every gun ever made.

Also, in cold weather, plastic shrinks and becomes brittle, making it more prone to breakage.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I'm a believer in signs, and I've been flip flopping all day. Got home and my neighbor said "Hey, I've got something for ya!"

21 Stripper Clips Loaded Up! 5.56, the best kind too...FREE 5.56!

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
The PS90 is completely over-rated. yes its an FN so its good quality but plastic in -20 deg south dakota winters cant last as far as i can tell. ive cracked AR handgaurds out here cause its so cold and it makes them brittle.

SW

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whew....good thing I dont live in south dakota! I like the cold OK, but not that cold. Got my share of that crap in ohio as a kid. Nothin like shoveling out the driveway when it's 75 yards long and two car lengths wide, just to have that $&%ing plow truck to throw a wall of cinder packed snow back at it.

No comment on the free ammo though, sheesh!

G

·
Yes you are crazy :lol: A guy like you has to have one AR! I think you would kick yourself over and over for doing that.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea, I know you're right ARI, I'm keeping her cause I got free ammo and there might be more in the future!

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
You willing to share that free ammo dude? I need some BAD! LOL!

Glad you're keeping it.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I had more like 1000 rounds given to me at once, then yes i'd be sharing it, but right now with ammo prices, it's hard for me to stock up anything. If you add this 210 rounds to the .223 i already have, then I have a grand total of 240...not quite what at the levels I once kept, but it's a start, plus I have that forum shoot to attend again.

·
1,792 Posts
At the Range A guy had a ps90 And it looked "f"in sweet. However Watching him zero it was well Painfull to say the least.I dont know if it were HIM or the weapon. But 50 RDS and they still were unsure were it was going.

I was turned off by this. They knew what they were doing OR should have. But couldnt get it were they wanted.

However Compact and Well 50RDS top mag thingy was cool watching him change it was comical.

I would pass unless I got the DEAL of a life time, of course not happening.

I cannot see how they are so SPENDY????? But then I am that way with a lot of firearms.

There neat as heck but NOT 1600ish neat.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ya. that phase has passed. I do still want one. 50 rounds to zero a rifle is absurd and I can't honestly say anyone knows what they are doing unless you started at 50 yards to get on paper and fire 5 round groups, constantly pushing it back and fine tuning untill you get to 300 meters. THEN it's ok, but not a carbine at >100 meters, that's just stupid. If you can't get it on paper after 5 rounds, you stop and move the target distance closer by half the distance, that doesn't work, do it again. Could have had a faulty rifle, but even if so, I'd say this guy was being stubborn by not bringing the target in.

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
I don't think you're crazy for entertaining the thought of trading. but, you answered your question as you typed...

Dude at gunshop was trying to get me to trade my m1a for FAL. I thought about it for a minute, but didn't because of the heritage of the rifle (my rifle, that is).

Here's the way I look at trades: you have something THEY want, and they wouldn't offer to trade something they wanted to keep. Now, could you trade up without losing any $$, then sell what you traded for and take your replacement AR up a notch with the profit? Sometimes things like that just fall on you lap and sometimes it takes months for it to pan out.

It's always good to try something new. From what i could see of the PS90, I handled-did not fire it, they would be a colossal PITA. . I admit they are neato and all, but I think you did right.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Now if I run into someone that's willing to give me hundreds of that goofy little propitary round, I'll reconsider it.

G

·
I don't think you're crazy for entertaining the thought of trading. but, you answered your question as you typed...

Dude at gunshop was trying to get me to trade my m1a for FAL. I thought about it for a minute, but didn't because of the heritage of the rifle (my rifle, that is).

Here's the way I look at trades: you have something THEY want, and they wouldn't offer to trade something they wanted to keep. Now, could you trade up without losing any $$, then sell what you traded for and take your replacement AR up a notch with the profit? Sometimes things like that just fall on you lap and sometimes it takes months for it to pan out.

It's always good to try something new. From what i could see of the PS90, I handled-did not fire it, they would be a colossal PITA. . I admit they are neato and all, but I think you did right.
I hear ya on that. I handled the PS90, and found it lacking somehow.

As far as trading in your M1A for a FAL? I dunno: I want both, but I know there are def variations on both, sot thats a tossup. Not only that, I really dont like seeing my guns go bye bye...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts