Am i the only HP computer geek?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Kronos, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Kronos

Kronos Oppulent Disparity Member

See what i did there? HP; Hi Point, Hewlett Packard...

Anybody else watching Halt and Catch Fire? Opinions?
  2. Liberty

Liberty Shhh! Lifetime Supporter

3. desertrider

desertrider Member

Missed the beginning of the series. Saw the previews and wanted to catch it from the beginning, but things have been pretty hectic for the last couple of months and haven't had much free time.

And if you are a computer geek, consider yourself lucky. Me and 'puters, we don't get along.:(
  4. TeaSipper

TeaSipper Member

I know nothing about HP, Dell, etc cause I've built all my own computers since the 286.

Yep, a hard core geek. :D
  5. eldarbeast

eldarbeast Supporting Member

You're the HP geek.

6. Flyboy

Flyboy Staff Member

Those are the two things my HP did best.

See what I did there? ;)
    eldarbeast likes this.
  7. Back2School

Back2School Member

Haven't watched it yet, but I would probably get into it. Been a major geek since the commodore days.

I love the stories about visionaries like Woz, and try to avoid the ones about the snake oil salesman Jobs...
  8. TeaSipper

TeaSipper Member

Ah yes, the Commodore 64. Those were the days and I miss it. :)
  9. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

I've bought my fair share of cheap computers. mostly from Compaq mostly. Had my last PC built buy for a fraction of what Dell, or any other maker would have charged, plus i got a case in a different color than black/beige and a window on the side of it.
    Then I bought a Macbook Pro for a considerable amount more than an equivalent windows laptop.

I'm a hardcore masochist! :cool:
  10. TeaSipper

TeaSipper Member

Building your own means you get to pick the parts and that means good parts, :)

I built myself an i3 system on a budget and while I'm using it I was collecting parts for an i5 build. Waiting months for discount and sales at Newegg paid off.
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  11. Back2School

Back2School Member

Aww comon, I was poor, I couldnt afford a 64. I had a Vic-20 :) With a cassette drive -not that high pried floppy drive!

I have done the high dollar, boutique computer, the extreme low buck barebones kits finished with leftover parts, bought older generation systems (Like Mac II series in the mid 90s) for the kids and high dollar custom parts to build my own.

When I started in the business (as my second career) I learned the value of a warranty and especially something with a next business day warranty. I will not build another even though I can.

The reality is all systems are built by Foxconn regardless of whose name is on the outside. IBM builds a reference system, everyone else takes that and puts their own shell around it and calls it "their" system. There really are only a few manufacturers for each individual component - I think its down to like 5 manufacturers for RAM today regardless of whose name is on it.

The other reality is even portables are old tech - desktops are completely outdated. Today's tech is tablets and phones, future tech will be even smaller like the Samsung watches. Its also why IBM sold off its consumer and desktop business class to Lenovo - it kept the Enterprise piece and the services piece (the profitable ones). The other markets are now commodities with slim margins.
  12. I'm almost 45. First family computer in '76. Every Commodore from then till the Amiga 1000 (including the PC-10 &P PC-20). Two true blue IBM's, then Leading Edges and Lasers, along with home builds. Professionally, Compaq, Dell, HP, Toshiba, IBM, Lenovo, ASUS, Sun, DEC, NEC, Apple. Certified A+ from 1991, MCSE's since Microsoft since NT 4.0 and upgraded to the MCITPs, Banyan Vines, 3Com, Netware 3.0+, Compaq/HP from 1990-2004, Network+ from the start! only two Cisco networking certs though,...

Worked professionally in IT since 1985, yes that's right I worked full-time at a computer store at 15. That was when you had to actually build them even for IBMs.

I quit giving help to friends/family in 2005. Too much time for no money. Too many people expecting me to fix their screw ups over and over. Sorry guys.
  13. Back2School

Back2School Member

ok so show me you comp setup. Whacha got?

I am running a 4 year old Alienware as my main.
    i7 (early-forget the speed)
    liquid cooled.
    1 TB raid - striped
    2x 5770 ATI Crossfire
    3 24" monitors

Funny thing is I paid almost $1200 for the monitors and $1200 for the tower...
    I stopped gaming (well almost) so it does more than I ever need

I have a work portable.
    I have a home portable - light system with discrete video- still behind the old Alienware in performance. I bought for my step daughter to use when she visits, but she never touches it.
    Then I use my Samsung Note 3 a LOT.
  14. Back2School

Back2School Member

Agreed 100%.

Its like yes I have a truck. No I will not help you move.

Yes I can fix computers. No I will not fix yours.
  15. TeaSipper

TeaSipper Member

Been there done that. They can be just too stupid to even own a computer. Because I quit on my friends they hate me. Not only as a PC tech but as a mechanic, plumbing, electrical, etc. I was a handyman without benefits so screw 'em.
  16. Kronos

Kronos Oppulent Disparity Member

My first build was an 8088, which i did about the time the 386 hit the market.

My older brother (by 8 years) got the VIC20. I grew up on a C64....with a cassette drive. We did get a 5.25 a few months later though. Then at about 10, i got a c128.

Around 13 my mother remarried. My step father was the epitome of computer geek and taught me the hardware side of it. The company he worked for built business systems, so he was always bringing home "toys". Ire member when he brought home the first 1gb hdd being released to public. It used two 5.25 drive bays, cost a couple thousand dollars and could double as a boat anchor. Built my first pc, on my own, about 14 or 15 and it was an 8088.
    Not only did that man teach me the hardware side of things, including networking (token ring anyone?), but helped to expand my knowledge on the software side by teaching me what hexidecimal was. I also used to have the first consumer laptop with a cd-rom was an Apple Powerbook. I acquired it long after it came out, but it was a neat conversation piece.

Ive had more computers than i can count. I prefer to build my own if the time is available. While I agree that tablets, phones, phablets, etc are the "new tech", they are still proprietary. Until the day comes that i can swap out the ram or video chip without soldering anything, the traditional desktop pc will remain king in my book.

I can also relate on the "fixing family computer" topic. I used to do that. Then that one cousin tells a friend he has a family member thats good at repairing computers. Next thing you know, youre fixing the entire neighborhoods computers, for free, every hour, of every day, the entire week. So now when someone asks, even family, i play stupid.
  17. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

I got tired of people (family included) asking me to fix their computers or set up home networks that I came up with a plan. One neighbor wanted a wired home network set up. He asked me if I could do it, I told him sure I'll do it but I need a new A/C so you purchase and install a new A/C in my house and I'll build you one hell of a home network. He looked at me like I was Beelzebub. Never asked me for computer help again. The worst I have met are lawyers, when they ask I ask if they give out free legal advise. When they say no I tell them that is my answer too.
  18. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

My mom asked me questions from time to time about computers, but when I got her a laptop several years ago, I told her that I know nothing of laptops, so she's on her own if something goes wrong.
    She's asked me about programs for the laptop and whatnot, saying she doesn't know anything about downloading anything and that she doesn't know what to do about it.
    Now, she has a google chromebook, which is more like a giant smartphone than anything else.