Am I the only one who actually likes smaller magazines?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Branth, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Branth

Branth Member

It seems like everyone these days wants the biggest magazine they can possibly stick on their rifle. Am I the only guy who actually likes smaller, more compact mags? I've got a half-dozen 30 round magazines for my AR, but the one that gets the most use is a beat up old milsurp 20-round magazine that was probably kicked around Da Nang in the '60s. I just like that it's a bit lighter and way more compact, and it's a lot easier to shoot from prone or supported positions.

When I got my AR-10, it came standard with 20-round magazines that are about the right size. I got a 25-round extended mag as a gift, and while I like the idea, it's just sitting on the shelf gathering dust because it would just get in the way of prone shooting, and I can't afford how much ammo I would burn through if I loaded any of my mags to capacity on range trips! I'm considering getting the smaller 10-round magazines just to lighten the load a bit and make the gun even easier to shoot prone. I actually did buy a 10-round magazine for my AR-15 when it was on sale, just for shooting from the bench.

What about you guys? Anyone else want to throw the extended 45-round AR mags in the garbage?

2. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

For the AR I prefer the 20 round metal, it's what we carried back in the day. I have larger, but I use the 20's.

3. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I was gonna say YES!! U CRAZY! But I was thinking of the 10 rd HP Mags :D

I like the 20 rd AR mags for pictures, and they are better for prone
    and bench shooting. It is a very well matched size for an AR! I have
    several of the 20 rd 5.56 PMags :D

4. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    PS: I'd think, generally on Patrol or guard duty I'd prefer the 30s...

5. I wouldn't want the promags 14 rounders for my 4595.
    I'm happy with just the 9 round mags..:cool:

6. Branth

Branth Member

I figure the 30's are better for standing shooting, but I'd much prefer the 20's for prone or supported. Honestly, with a semi-auto, 20 rounds is quite a lot of ammo. If I had a full-auto weapon, though, I would definitely want 30 or larger. I just think that as civvies, we need to understand how our needs differ from the military's needs.

7. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

I'm a lot younger than Flash so I like the 30's but I have a bunch of them and 40's I like the 40s in my AR pistol. like the added weight. The issue with having a bunch of 40's is that its hard to find carriers for them. So I had to mod some of them

8. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I prefer the flush fit and the 20 rounders.

9. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Well, it's been a while but I've always used 20 and 30 round mags with no preference to one or the other. I now own 10 metal 30's, 8 pmag 30's, 3 metal 40's, and 2 promag 20's. My OCD says I need at least 2 more 30rd pmags, 3 20rd pmags, and 2 metal 40's.

10. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I fired off a mag from the same batch I gave you.... Fed like a champ....

11. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I got one of those 40 rounds mags with my AK but didn't find it aesthetically pleasing...it just looks plain dumb.
    Besides it had a massive amount of side by side wobble so I traded it back in for a regular 30 round which fit much tighter.

12. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

If I'm going to go rock-n-roll with a 5.56 I'll use the Surefire 60 rounders. They fit a standard double mag pouch and balance the center of gravity nicely.

13. MXGreg

MXGreg Supporting Member

I've got a dozen 30 round metal mags and two 20 rounders. I honestly don't remember the last time I put a 30 in and shot it. The 20s just work much better for shooting from a rest.

14. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    My semi-auto handgun is 10 or 13 rds and my revolver is 7 rd.
    I figured if I can't put down the bad guy with 7 rounds of .357 or 13 rds of 9mm, I probably won't need a higher cap mag. Plus the higher the mag cap the more ammo I go through at the range. When I had my Monkey Gun, I was buying 9mm seems like every other day. Now with just a Bersa 9UC I can go for weeks without having to buy more ammo.

15. There are these. ..[​IMG]
    The issue I have is with my redi mag mounted it doesn't fit. ... but low profile. ..

16. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

About 25 years ago when I got into the AK and RPK series I bought a lot of 30 and 40 round mags. All new Military Surplus. Even bought a dozen 100 round Chinese drums that worked perfect every time.Only used 1 of course.

But, too much weight and can't use the long ones well for bench or prone. So, I stored all but two 30 rounders and mainly just use the 5 round ones for accuracy shooting. Those 40rd mags cost too much in ammo. Worse on a 100 round Chinese drum.

However, I got a lot of my ammo costs back because I sold all 12 Chinese drums on Gun Brokers for a goodly profit. The full auto guys will pay a lot for a new Chinese 100 rounder still sealed in the plastic package with that oil in them. Got all of them for
    less than $65 each. Sold each for $200 to $278 on GB. :D:D:D

17. MXGreg

MXGreg Supporting Member

The 100 round drums on a Thompson doubled as a shield. :D

[​IMG]

18. peorth

peorth Member

I'm probably in the minority opinion where I prefer clip fed SKS or loose ammo feed for lever action. No mags to buy, load, or lose.

19. talon

talon the banned wagon

For my dracos, i too prefer the 20 rounder mags.
    I don't really care about mag size, i don't have the mentality that im going to battle so im ok with whatever I've got.

20. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, but you short loaded two mags with 29 rounds... :oops: