Am I the only one?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by MachoMelvin, May 21, 2014.

1. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

Tonight I pulled out my "new to me" Walther P1. I watched about 4 You Tube video's on disassemble & reassemble of my gun. I haven't fired it yet, heck it was the 1st time I even cleaned & lubed it. I catch myself buying a "new to me" gun & just putting it away for a week or two. Then about 1-2 times a week I will look into my gun case and pull one out and start researching it on the internet, and then breaking it down. Kinda like what I used to do with my GI Joe's & Tonka trucks?
    I can't be the only one doing this, am I?

Attached Files:

2. Nope!!!! :D

3. desertrider

desertrider Member

Melvin, you're like my brudda from anudda mudda!

4. bws

bws Member

Oh god no! I'm the same way. The odd thing to me is that even though I have several identical weapons, the more I study them the more I see the subtle differences in each one. Yeah, they all tear down and go back together the same way, but I swear I can tell the differences in the trigger break, the resistance of a pin being pushed into place or how much effort it takes to seat a bolt or move a slide. It's quite interesting to me.

5. talon

talon the banned wagon

not me. when i buy anything be it new, or new to me, ive in the vast majority of cases, already researched it, and i take it usually that day, out to fire it.

6. bluebone

bluebone Duke of Sarcasm Member

uhh yeah, me too.

7. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I never buy a gun new..as I don't like new guns...:eek: and I usually buy using lay-a-way.
    So that means I have weeks and sometimes months to Google reviews, watch YouTube videos and scour the internet for cheap mags, carry holsters, ammo and stuff.

8. duster066

duster066 Supporting Member

To some of the guys here that will sound like BS or a waste of time. These guys guys don't ever clean their guns, and in fact box them up, when the magical round count is reached, and ships them AWAY, IN THE FRIGGIN MAIL, to some odd ball called mom. Apparently mom makes all things all better. Makes me wonder what that same dude does while in the woods and the gun goes...click...and no manner of mag feed adjustment makes any difference, it just goes...click...

A man who can not maintain his gun is not a well armed man. He may not be armed at all, and the big secret is...he will never know one way or the other until it counts. Airplanes and the Air Force taught me many things. And one of them is, I know (to the best of my abilities) if the ammo works so will the gun. I kind of think that is important.

Oh and because I do revolvers and manual repeaters...even if the ammo is having a bad day I can just keep working the gun...sooner or later something is bound to get loud.:p

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  9. I have done the same thing. With the long winter here in Indiana and the cost of ammo I caught my self forgetting which firearms I still haven't shot yet. Took the boys to the range a few weeks ago and I couldn't recall if I had shot my shotgun I bought in the fall. So shoot it again

10. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

The last gun which I realized I'd never given any range-love too was a beautiful WWII Enfield, "U.S. Property" marked (Lend Lease), parkerized, all matching numbered parts, in excellent condition. I traded it to a friend for a nice CZ82. Just recently (during the height of the ammo crisis, ims), I was digging through the bowels of my safe, moving all the ammo to a separate 3-Drawer File Cabinet when I came across a completely full cloth bandolier of surplus .303 in original stripper clips which I had, apparently, bought to pair with the aforementioned Enfield. I sold it all to a friend for pre-crisis prices, despite the fact that the clips alone were fetching that price at the time (never mind loaded ammo and original cloth bandolier) because I just couldn't see taking such heinous advantage of anyone, let alone a friend.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

11. Sometimes I find guns I forgot I had when I start digging through everything. I really need to do a couple walls in peg board lol.

12. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

I don't own enough guns for that sort of thing. When I buy a new gun I can't wait to go out to the range with it. And I also find myself looking in my safe daily and admiring. It is like when I had toys as a kid. "The only thing that seperates men from boys is the price of their toys"

13. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

LOL... I just recently found a box of 100 Garand en Bloc clips I forgot I even had.

14. desertrider

desertrider Member

I do that too. I'm a bit of an insomniac and usually find myself out in the garage at odd hours of the morning looking through the safe and inevitably yanking one out and sweeping the house for bad guys in the dark.:)

What's really funny is the couple of times my wife has gotten up and found me standing in front of the safe in my skivvies and flip-flops with the safe's door open as I'm rearranging them or otherwise playing with them (the guns).

15. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Whew..... I'm glad I'm not the only one! Luckily, or unluckily, I've only got a few guns now, so it doesn't get creepy. ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1400785443.659368.jpg

16. bluebone

bluebone Duke of Sarcasm Member

No, that's not creepy at all

17. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

What.... You don't play Ludwig Van when you're looking at your guns?

18. lsi1

lsi1 Member

i just don't own that many i have read and researched almost everything i've ever bought before i bought it. That being said i have to stop buying mossberg 500s. it seems to be a sickness i see $100 shotgun and i'm all over it needs to stop.

19. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I research most my guns before I buy them. A few impulse buys? But it is not until your sitting in your PJ's in front of the computer in the middle of the night, with the gun in your hand, do you really get the connection?
    THIS BABY is MINE!!!