Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
June 28, 2021 -- By Spencer Soper

Stephen Normandin spent almost four years racing around Phoenix delivering packages as a contract driver for Amazon.com. Then one day, he received an automated email. The algorithms tracking him had decided he wasn’t doing his job properly.

The 63-year-old Army veteran was stunned. He’d been fired by a machine.

Normandin says Amazon punished him for things beyond his control that prevented him from completing his deliveries, such as locked apartment complexes. He said he took the termination hard and, priding himself on a strong work ethic, recalled that during his military career he helped cook for 250,000 Vietnamese refugees at Fort Chaffee in Arkansas.

“I’m an old-school kind of guy, and I give every job 100 per cent,” he said. “This really upset me because we're talking about my reputation. They say I didn’t do the job when I know damn well I did.”

Normandin’s experience is a twist on the decades-old prediction that robots will replace workers. At Amazon, machines are often the boss — hiring, rating and firing millions of people with little or no human oversight.

Amazon became the world’s largest online retailer in part by outsourcing its sprawling operations to algorithms—sets of computer instructions designed to solve specific problems. For years, the company has used algorithms to manage the millions of third-party merchants on its online marketplace, drawing complaints that sellers have been booted off after being falsely accused of selling counterfeit goods and jacking up prices.

Read more at: Amazon employee fired by a robot: It's you vs machine's algorithm

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Amazon sounds like such a great company to work for. Artificial intelligence analyzing your work.

*Beep *beep, four unapproved 15 minute restroom breaks detected in a 21 day span. *Beep *beep Firing employee.

They do not even have the backbone to send a supervisor to talk with the worker about job performance. Just fire them with an electronic message sent by a robot. Where do I apply to work at Amazon?!

Reactions: wganz

·
Administrator
24,572 Posts
You do realize that most of the world runs on algorithms and computer analytics now, yes?

What's the difference if some corporate shill fires you according to the email he got, or if the email goes straight to you? They're making even more money by not having the shill in the way.

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Profits and money are all that matters to many corporations especially Amazon.

Reactions: OldOutlaw

·
Registered
678 Posts
You do realize that most of the world runs on algorithms and computer analytics now, yes?

What's the difference if some corporate shill fires you according to the email he got, or if the email goes straight to you? They're making even more money by not having the shill in the way.
The metrics and analytics are typically overseen by real people who make the actual decision. They can either decide to go along with the metrics or make a value decision based upon the worth of the human to the organization. However, this is Amazon, a soulless and spiritless machine of commerce that lacks any sense of humanity.

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good post Poncho Villa. That is a modern day beginning of that Twilight Zone episode you posted the link to.

·
Premium Member
35,820 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is, after all, their only real reason for existing.
You can make money, still be moral and not treat people like a merciless and heartless jack hole. Obviously productivity and profits matter, but if that is all that matters then that is a problem.

Reactions: ajole

·
Premium Member
6,849 Posts
Well, good points. However, why do so very many gun owners even just keep on supporting Amazon and their practices?
Cause they buy a lot of cheap Chinese items gun owners owners want. CHEAP,CHEAP, CHEAP.

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I rarely buy anything from Amazon. They are my last stop. I search everywhere else before buying from them. Now if I could just convince my wife to have the same idea.

·
Premium Member
6,849 Posts
Amazon can do as they wish because the US Public does and will support them. Until that stops, Amazon will continue to do as it wishes. Fact.

·
Administrator
24,572 Posts
You know you can log in on Amazon smile and force Amazon to donate to gun rights groups, right?

·
Administrator
24,572 Posts
Yep...

I set my old fd up with it before I left. They pull in a few thousand a year from it. It's not your money. You just buy through Amazon smile and Amazon donates a portion of your purchase to the organization of your choice, a long as they have an account.

·
Registered
4 Posts

huge difference, firing someone should be done with compassion because it changes their life

·
Premium Member
35,820 Posts
I’d agree that sometimes, a good businessman takes a small hit to promote goodwill, keep good workers, or keep a good customer. It’s good business.

But if you’re getting fired and it’s changing your life, the compassion with which it happens isn’t the thing I’d be worried about.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts