Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been in the works for 10 months (waiting for receiver, parts, extra money for bits and bobs...) but I finally got this built yesterday. It needs some sort of refinishing to cover its nakedness, and I need a safety selector lever and to check the headspace, but it's ready to shoot otherwise.

All in all, I'm very happy, even if I ended up spending too much money vs buying a ready to go version...

Here's pics ----

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice! I'd love to build one of those, I just don't think I have the tools to do a proper job :(
Do what I did and borrow them! I found a relatively local guy that has built several AK's over the years and has all the tools and tricks, went to his house for a few hours, and came out of it with a nice AMD.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Vertical grip would look much better, but other than that, nice piece.
Well, this is how they're designed to be, so I went with it. There is just a hole in the forearm for a grip screw nut, and it uses a standard AK grip, so the angle is pretty much set. It also appears to be necessary for mag clearance, especially if you want to use a 30 round or bigger mag (that's a 20 rounder in the pic). I don't know yet if I'll keep it like that or take the front grip off altogether, but I'm definitely going to shoot it as is to start with.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Vertical grip would look much better, but other than that, nice piece.
Well, this is how they're designed to be, so I went with it. There is just a hole in the forearm for a grip screw nut, and it uses a standard AK grip, so the angle is pretty much set. It also appears to be necessary for mag clearance, especially if you want to use a 30 round or bigger mag (that's a 20 rounder in the pic). I don't know yet if I'll keep it like that or take the front grip off altogether, but I'm definitely going to shoot it as is to start with.
Do you have a picture of the stock without the front grip on? I have an idea on how to get a vertical grip to work. I think a stubby grip would look killer and be short enough as to not interfere with your mags.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I think you're right - a stubby grip would work and look good. This is a sample pic that should give you an idea what the thing looks like.

It would also be simple to install a length of pic rail to the bottom of the forearm, then you could add any grip you wanted (foldable maybe?).

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Exactly what I was thinking, actually. You might have to do a little tweaking, but it looks like you have a nice flat surface to mount the rail--even just a short one. Should be room on the backside to secure it with a washer/nut combination, and at that point you're in business.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Exactly what I was thinking, actually. You might have to do a little tweaking, but it looks like you have a nice flat surface to mount the rail--even just a short one. Should be room on the backside to secure it with a washer/nut combination, and at that point you're in business.
if you put a vertical foreword grip on an AK it has to be vary short so you have room to rock in the mag. That is why the AMD's have the angled grip, and the Romanian's used that weird curvy grip. I think you are better off with the AMD grip then any of the other options.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Thats cool I like. I think things always mean much more when you build or create it yourself rather than buy it complete.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sort of an update on the whole grip thing. The 20 rounder that was designed for the gun obviously fits and works, but I've found that the standard 30 rounders have no clearance issues with the pistol grip as is. They rock in and out easily. From what I can see, it looks like 40 rounders would not work.

A shorty grip installed in the same location would work just fine, as would a length of pic rail with a foldable grip. I think if you wanted a full size grip on pic rail, it would need to be mounted farther forward. I've also seen one where a guy cut a new hole for the standard pistol grip about 1.5" farther forward.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh yeah, i forgot to tell you all that I took it out last Sunday for a range session. It functioned 100% with all 5 mags I own and was even fairly accurate - I stayed on the 50 yard range as I was also shooting my XD, so I didn't really test out the longer range accuracy.

As an aside, the RSO on duty at the time got in my face about the gun being too loud! :blink: Can you believe that? A gun at a shooting range being too loud, what is this world coming to? He said that although there were no rules in place at the moment, he would try to get my gun banned because of the "ridiculous" noise. Fast forward to Thursday night, I got a call from the manager of the range apologizing for the incident, that he had spoken to the RSO about being overzealous, and then offered me a free pass next time I go. All's well that ends well. 8)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts