America's 10 Deadliest Jobs:Forbes

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Walkingwolf, Dec 22, 2014.

1. http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacquelynsmith/2013/08/22/americas-10-deadliest-jobs-2/

The 10 Deadliest Jobs:

1. Logging workers
    2. Fishers and related fishing workers
    3. Aircraft pilot and flight engineers
    4. Roofers
    5. Structural iron and steel workers
    6. Refuse and recyclable material collectors
    7. Electrical power-line installers and repairers
    8. Drivers/sales workers and truck drivers
    9. Farmers, ranchers, and other agricultural managers
    10. Construction laborers

My son's job is number 7 on the list.

2. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Linux Admin didn't make the list?!?!

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

3. bluharley

bluharley Member

Driver/sale workers? Are they supposed to be equally dangerous? Sales? Yea, I worked in a toy department during Christmas when I was 17, but generally it's not that dangerous. Drivers are at much more risk than sales associates.

4. ItBeMe

ItBeMe Member

Hello where does Police Officer come in. You get shot and killed in that job.
    Forbes is a bit off.

5. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Me and UndeRGRound too!..... At one time we were wayyyyyy higher.... Mortality rate was something like 80%+ in the early 1900's....

6. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

That's because it's not in the top 10 but it does get a lot of media coverage.

7. Drivers/venders are considered sales with many companies. I believe that is what they meant.

8. bluharley

bluharley Member

That makes sense.

9. wganz

wganz Supporting Member

When I was trying to get through nursing school, I worked the 11p-7a shift at a convenience store. At the time, deep night shift convenience store clerk was the #2 most dangerous job in the US.

10. bluharley

bluharley Member

That's when they started putting bullet proof glass in convenience stores. I would never do that job, especially for a few cents above minimum wage.

11. It wouldn't be so bad if the clerks were allowed to defend themselves.

12. Not2ManyGuns

Not2ManyGuns Member

In my mid to late 20's, back in the 1970s, over a six year period, I use to fly for the largest air freight company that flew U.S. Federal Reserve cancelled checks at night in very fast twin engine prop airplanes and Lear Jets. In those six years, I knew 8 people that died in various accidents. There was also one other pilot who should have died from the accident he was in, but somehow survived. I saw him several years later one evening bent forward and walking with braces attached to each arm as I was leaving operations to go home. He said, "Hi Jim." I didn't recognize him and had to admit that I didn't know who he was. He didn't look human. He looked just like a Star Trek Klingon except scarier. His head was much larger than a Klingons’ head. He told me who he was and then I had to apologize for not recognizing him. He told me that he was in the beginning of a nine year series of surgeries so he could look like a human again.

I once watched the chief pilot arrive in the airplane we were to fly on a trip that same night. He had gone to pick up one of our dead pilots who was left in a farmers field after the airplane caught on fire. Both pilots had died but the family of the captain had gone to get his body. We were late waiting for the airplane to arrive. The dead co-pilot’s body was in a green body bag. We watched as the lead mechanic and the chief pilot carried the body bag out of the airplane. The chief pilot told us that he would understand if we refused to fly the airplane because of the decaying odor that was left behind. Never-the-less, we both (captain and F.O.) agreed to fly the airplane, because we both had seen too many pilots get fired for refusing a trip because the airplane was dispatched broken or the weather was too bad. In the morning when I got in (I was living in my sister’s home at the time) my sister was just about to leave for work. She took one whiff of me and asked, “Gosh, you smell awful, what the heck is that smell?” I had to tell her that over the course of flying the airplane for eight hours that night, the decaying death odor had permeated my clothes. She told me to go back onto her back enclosed porch to get out of the clothes, and throw them away. She didn’t want them in her washing machine. She gave me a garbage bag to put the clothes in, and then told me to take a bath right away.

I have a friend who I grew up with that was a police officer. Several years after I left the company that was flying cancelled checks, I took that list of the most dangerous jobs and asked him what job he thought was more dangerous, a police officer or a pilot. Of course he said police officer. I showed him the list. I then told him of the number of pilots I personally knew that got killed and asked him how many police officers he knew who were killed. He said none and he was, needless to say, very, very surprised.

Unfortunately, when a night freighter pilot dies, there is often nothing much left of him for a wake. Also, there is usually no large contingent of pilots to honor him at his funeral.:(

13. Back2School

Back2School Member

well if you count the deaths by obesity, heart problems and diabetes which the statistics are drastically increased due to being tied to a chair in front of a monitor for 10-12 hours a day, you may get on the list :)

Of course the cheetos, Mt Dew, Red Bull and other required additions dont help much either.

14. bluharley

bluharley Member

I sat at a computer for 10 years. I don't snack, don't drink soda, and never had a red bull, but I still got fat...:(

15. Back2School

Back2School Member

I used to stand in front of a machine for 12-15 hours a day. The minute I switched to sitting in a chair in front of a computer, it all went downhill for me... :D

16. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

That's kind of funny. I've worked in 2,4,6,8, and 10.

17. I could see how mine would make #9. Working grow/finish with pigs if u ever passed out or went down in a pen of pigs there would be nothing left.

18. I had a cousin gored by a cow when I was younger, but he survived.

19. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Electrical, much of that is due to poorly trained and unqualified folks getting into this field.

I like the "post-apocalyptic careers list"

#1 Doctor
    #2 Electrician (Bull, WW's son and Me) :D

I think #3 was mercenary, and I know Bulla and I are qualified for that too ;)

20. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

And our sons are Marines..... So we're in in spades brother!