America's gun stores overstocked?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by SWAGA, Nov 1, 2014.

1. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

2. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

They seem to be here

Academy and Dick's Sporting Goods here in this area have an abundance.

3. Okay walmart has plenty. A 10/22 at $200. And a mossberg 702 plinkster for $112.
    Man any rifle under $150 is hard to pass up. If it stays until after Christmas it will be mine

4. wganz

wganz Supporting Member

Combination of:
    1) devaluation of the dollar with inflation of real goods that the middle & lower classes have to have for daily life that reduces money available for non-immediate goods and
    2) market saturation.

5. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I'm a sucker for a $200 gun!

6. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    In my AO its ALL about number 2.

As to the idea that prices will come down...I certainly hope so. My problem is, the prices on new stuff comes down, but the old guns I like stay high.:(

7. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Tell me about it, 20 years ago I could of picked up a Savage Model 99 in 300 Savage for $300. This rifle was made in the late 40's and was pristine with a tang sight. I bought a Kimber 45 instead. Biggest mistake I ever made. I only kept the Kimber 2 years and it spent most of the time back at Kimber getting fixed.

8. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

Already seeing it in the AR market now. Everyone but Hi Point seems to be making AR15s these days, and thus we're getting a glut of them on the market now.
    Seems like it used to be you'd have to build yourself one to get a good AR cheap. Now, it's the opposite; buy a good one cheaper than you can build it.

9. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Ammo needs to come down so I can stock up.

10. Dont worry....After the Mid terms (Tues) Obummer is going to go after the 2A full speed ahead ..He's been laying low on the subject. not wanting to hurt Dems in pro-gun States...Then the gun buying frenzy will pick up right where it left off...Ammo too, so stock up while you can.

11. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    Gander Mountain in Peoria is jam packed with all kinds of firearms. they are priced right at MSRP and will not budge on prices. Bass Pro is just about the same, but don't have near the inventory of firearms that GM has.

12. That and amnesty for the illegals. Given his repeated statements that he's going to go around congress to 'fix' immigration and the 34 million green cards the Feds have ordered...

Never could figure out why the unions thought he was looking out for them.

13. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Let's hope he does not have Hawwy Weed as senate leader to help him though ;)

Because our fookin' idiot "union leadership" <sic> says he is! MOST of us know better, however... The only thing the poly-ticks cares about is the money that comes from union dues. They do care about the collective "cash cow". :rolleyes:

14. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Anything he does can be challenged in court putting it on hold. That is what the republicans need to do with every executive order he issues. Tie him up in court until he has no time for anything but defending his stupidity.

15. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

The Supreme Court is batting 1.000 against him...... That oughta say something...

16. TopGas

TopGas Member

The $ of 1994 had considerably more buying power than the $ of 2014. A $300 item then would be more like $480 today. But that kind of comparison only holds true for goods and/or services that are similar to both periods of time, like eggs, haircuts etc. The Savage 99 you mentioned was nearly 50 years old when you first thought about buying it. Now it's nearing 70 years of age and has certainly appreciated in value. Since a finite number of rifles of that model year were made, the supply was fixed. My guess would be that if you were to find one for sale, it would be for a lot more than $480 !!!
    You're right, buying that Kimber was a mistake but since 20/20 hindsight is of little value (RE: THAT gun at least) there's nothing that can be done.

Others may say that they saw what we're experiencing now, coming a long time ago but i certainly didn't:eek: and obviously others didn't either. My eyes are much wider open now and usually looking for another firearm that needs a home :). TG
    P.S. I have to say that I will probably NEVER buy a Kimber. TG

17. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

I have seen a few 99 in similar condition without the tang sight and they are all over $1000. That is way out of my budget. For now I am saving up for my AR. After I get it then I will start looking for a 99 again. I have my 06 so I am not hurting for a hunting rifle, but it is nowhere near a pretty as the 99.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  18. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Huh, 2 years ago, mine was $480 with a scope and butt pad...both of which reduce value.

And that was at Cabelas, of all places, they ALWAYs ask top dollar.

There are usually 2-3 in the gun library, usually $650-$850.

19. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    ALL's I CAN SAY IT IS ELECTION DAY, MAKE SURE THAT YOU

VOTE OUT THE "BUMS"

OF ALL PARTIES...

...especially the anti-gunners...

20. Stogies

Stogies Member

It has already lead to dropping prices, it is good for us unless it goes on too long and dealers or manufacturers start folding.