Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been trolling the forums here for a while now after i bought my JHP .45 ( 350 rounds, no jams, no stovepipes, no issues whatsoever! )

Well, i had this wild hair one day when i couldnt find my 12ga ammo box, and it got me thinking about what would happen if i was on the move and had to leave behind a box, or if one ws stolen/lost. so i re organized all my ammo boxes with a variety of all my ammunition, plus some calibers that i dont have, which i figure if SHTF i can pickup someone elses weapon and probably have the ammo for it ( standard calibers like 9mm and .223 ).

i was also thinking of doing the same thing with dry packed cans of food-stuffs. i am thinking of going to an LDS (not a member ) cannery and canning up some of my own foods. i think i will mix some cornmeal, flour, sugar, and baking soda all in a big container and can that. the reasoning is the same as for the ammo tins, if i lose a can i didnt just lose all my damn corn meal!

does anyone have any input for me, special recipes i can use for canning or if anyone has taken this to the next level, ide like to hear about it. any ideas are good ideas and i figure the more genes in the pool the better we will be post SHTF....

Added- What if i mixed dry meat, gravy powder and dried vegetable? mmmm sounds good....

·
Banned
1,409 Posts
Unless you are going with a group of people to the LDS cannery you are not going to be able to stop in and can your stuff. Canning and food storage is usually done in batches I/E... this week we are going to do wheat, etc.

Depending on the amount you are planning to do at one time, you are better off to get a good quality vacuum sealer and use the foil bags. You might also consider using paint cans with some desiccant packets dropped to store ammo. 5 gallon food grade buckets can be purchased cheaply and a small bit of dry ice dropped in before the bucket is sealed will store grains, beans, etc for a long time.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Unless you are going with a group of people to the LDS cannery you are not going to be able to stop in and can your stuff. Canning and food storage is usually done in batches I/E... this week we are going to do wheat, etc.

Depending on the amount you are planning to do at one time, you are better off to get a good quality vacuum sealer and use the foil bags. You might also consider using paint cans with some desiccant packets dropped to store ammo. 5 gallon food grade buckets can be purchased cheaply and a small bit of dry ice dropped in before the bucket is sealed will store grains, beans, etc for a long time.
Most LDS canneries will sell you cans at cost and loan you a canner. Depending on demand you might have to wait a while though.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
+1 on the vacuum sealer.

I vac seal all my emergency supplies both food and ammo. The vac sealed food I then put into plastic totes and the ammo into ammo cans with weatherstripping.

·
Banned
1,409 Posts
69Bourbon - What does the dry ice in the bucket do???? remove moisture????
Yes. It removes the moisture. Basically it works like nitrogen packing...without having to rent the bottle of nitrogen and attachment. Depending on what you are packing you add a certain amount of dry ice to the bucket. You leave the top loose on the top until the "smoke" from the dry ice stops coming out and then seal the bucket. I have friends that have stored beans and such like this for well over 10 years. A lot of folks put a couple desicant packs in too.

There are several sources that can tell you specifically how to do it this way. We buy most of our dry goods from a company here in Michigan called Country Life Foods they have a web site and it explains how to do it on there.

·
Banned
1,409 Posts
No problem. We've been doing the food storage thing for a while.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Some resteraunts will often sell 5 gallon food grade buckets pretty cheap. You might need to soak them a while with baking soda water, for those used for stuff like pickles etc...

Thanks for the dry ice tip.

·
Registered
70 Posts
lds cannery uses #10 cans for dry canning they hold a lot of one thing but would be too little for multiple items in separate bags and not real travel friendly they are good to get what you need and store bulk then you can break some down to more manageable containers like vacuum bags. if you have an lds friend i'm sure they can let you know what you need to do to go to the cannery, i know you don't have to be a member to go, you can also look them up in the phone book and make a call. a vacuum sealer is great i use mine all the time, cheap clear bags for short term, and for long term storage use poly/foil (trade name; mylar) bags and oxygen absorbers, if you do the 5gal plastic bucket also use a poly/foil bag w/oxygen absorber as the plastic of the buckets are much more permeable to oxygen then the bags are thus keeping your food much longer, and you just have to soap and water clean a used bucket that way, but remember with the 5 gal bucket you have a much less travel friendly container if filled with one item however a 5 gal bucket with several mylar bags of what you want sealed in it may be just the ticket your looking for.

·
Registered
974 Posts
however a 5 gal bucket with several mylar bags of what you want sealed in it may be just the ticket your looking for.
Thought this could use emphasis. A combination of containers can give you the best prevention against a variety of problems.

#10 cans are not water-hardy (they rust). Buckets are not airtight. Mylar bags are not ratproof. Start combining containers and you get a safer, sturdier home for your food.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts