Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have now had my 995 for about two months and have not been able to shoot it due to the current 9mm ammunition crisis. For months now I have been calling all the usual carriers (Wal-Mart, Bass Pro Shops, etc.) and 9mm ammo is never in stock. I have talked to a few of the clerks and they tell me that when they do get the ammo in, within minutes someone comes in and buys the entire stock. Even the online retailers are sold out.

Is there any end in sight to these dark times?
Mabye should sell the 995 in hopes of finding something with aneasier to find caliber round....

·
Registered
222 Posts
i feel your pain...there is nothing within 50 miles of me! Unless you want to pay $1 bullet for 9mm!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Try what I did. For a week solid I asked everyone I know and worked with if they knew who had some ammo to sell, finally last Friday at almost quitting time one said try this place, its about 35 miles away in a little town off of the Interstate and owners a good guy. Called and he said yea Ive got .380 and 9mm, so I drove straight there after work and picked up some Blazer, S&B Rangesafe, Silver Bear, Independence, Hornady's, and Speers GD. Left work at 3:45 was home by 5:15 8)

·
Registered
60 Posts
There's always 9mm available somewhere. Check gundeals for ammo prices and availability, just put in your zip code and you'll get a good price/round including shipping.

Also, keep an eye on Aim Surplus, they frequently get 9mm in stock at decent prices. As of this post, they have Wolf in stock, but I have recently purchased a couple thousand rounds of Federal ammo from them.

G

·
There is no big shortage of any caliber ammo in Vermont. Not in local gun shops. Not in Walmart, not in Dicks Sporting goods?
Last week I tried to buy 9mm in Barre - couldn't find any. Haven't had a problem finding it in Rutland, though it is tending towards $15/50 - the cheaper stuff is harder to get.

Since I got the 995, I decided to buy a case online - figured I will be going through it much faster now. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Talked to a store manager in Walmart...........This is what he said about ammo.....The rush cleaned off the shelves..The Walmart warehouse started sending out its warehouse stock.......When that was depleated, they are depending on the manufacturers to ship more to them...............The manufacturers are working 24 HRs a day and can't keep up with the national demand.........Because Walmart buys at a very low discount, the manufacturers are shipping to their smaller customers first, at a higher price....That is why you can get ammo in most gun stores and not at Walmart..........So, good luck on finding the ammo trickeling into Walmart.......Maybe this is true and then again he may have been making up a good story....

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
YEah, the Wal-Mart in my area said that the warehouse told them not to increase their order to any more than what they are sending them. They get what they are given and that's it. ( I call Shenanigans!) Currently this same store gets one box of .380 a week in. One! and they are told they cannot increase their order. Somebody always beats me to that box, so i have to go to a gun shop. Guess what, the gun shop was only $1 more a box($15.25 a box for Blazer .380) , and i can get it whenever i want.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got tired of this problem so I started to reload and it is cheep ( I make my own bullets out of lead!). call midway supply they are great. I have some of my Buddy's actually like my stuff better and PAY me to reload theirs. this cuts my cost down even more. just don't reload for john q public.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Talked to a store manager in Walmart...........This is what he said about ammo.....The rush cleaned off the shelves..The Walmart warehouse started sending out its warehouse stock.......When that was depleated, they are depending on the manufacturers to ship more to them...............The manufacturers are working 24 HRs a day and can't keep up with the national demand.........Because Walmart buys at a very low discount, the manufacturers are shipping to their smaller customers first, at a higher price....That is why you can get ammo in most gun stores and not at Walmart..........So, good luck on finding the ammo trickeling into Walmart.......Maybe this is true and then again he may have been making up a good story....
You know, this makes very good sense! Wal-Mart is known for looking at ONLY the bottom line and if it means stepping over, well, anyone and anything so be it. The other dealers who don't buy in massive bulk don't demand cheaper-than-wholesale prices simply because they're douches, and yes, they're a buck or two more a box. But, I've found that I PREFER the personal service of my local shop. I can joke around with the clerk, and when you get to know the guys behind the counter, they look out for you. Best example is my little local shop knows me from buying ammo and buying my Hi-Points there, and the old guy remembered hearing me mention that once I got my job at the University I was going to start looking at getting a shotgun. Well, lo and behold after I came in bragging about my new job, he comes around the corner and asks "You still looking for a Maverick? Well, I got something better you'd might like son" and presents me with a Mossberg 500A used for only $199!!! Now, in Phoenix 18.5" shotguns are going for at LEAST $300, so this was quite the customer service.

Moral of the story: Looking for ammo? Don't stress over the China Mart! Get to know your local dealers. They're your best source for needs you may not even know you need yet....

·
Registered
20 Posts
No shortage by me, as a matter a fact they currently have a box of 50 9mm 115 GR FMJ Speer lawman for $11.99 each. I just got a few boxes of that.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
My little and I mean little local shop can only get Independence, and thatw as just a few boxes .i stopped by Dicks to pick up a b'day present for my little nephew last Sunday and asked what they had ZILCH not a box. in the store,everywhere i go they are back ordered.--If you live where there still is some best buy it while ya can.--RR--

·
Registered
247 Posts
Just made a trip to the local gunshop. It was pretty busy in there, but they had a good supply of 500 and 1000 round ammo cases, in all of the most popular calibers. I picked up 500 rounds of 7.62x39 for my next range trip. Cost me $203.25 including the tax. A reasonable price these days.
The rack that usually holds 40 or so Yugo M59/66's was empty though. I noticed that
7.62x54 ammo was plentiful, and relatively cheap. The Mosin Nagant rack was still chock full of M91/30's. Now might be a good time to branch out in to surplus bolt action rifles, if you haven't done so already.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I recently found a little hole-in-the-wall gunshop outside of town. I picked up 17 boxes of 9mm Blazer for $9.99. Seven boxes of Whitebox .45 for $15, one box of .50AE for $30. And three boxes of Federal .22lr for $13. He didnt have any 12guage though....

And his gun prices were insane, he was selling those pistol grip "Just in case" Mossy 500s for $479.99. He had a GSG-5P instock too, I was about ready to cash my income tax...but then I saw a $650 tag on it. Wont be buying guns from him ever.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts