Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
literally....in light of my injury , im thinking about taking a week or so and going back to SC in order to visit my kids and relatives. i also intend to start bringing some of my ammo back to alaska. per alaska airlines i can bring 50 lbs . most airlines allow only 11, so good on Alaska. 5.56 weighs about 26lbs per 1000. that is the minimum i would want for two rifles so that is definitely coming. my other priority is 9mm and 22LR . i was thinking about an even split but now im thinking maybe 200-300 of 9 and the rest 22 . the 9mm would be for my handgun and carbine but i think the 22 would be more versatile , even for defense in a pinch and weight wise would equate to alot more rounds . i could get about 3500 rounds for 16 pounds leaving about 8 pounds for 9mm. it will take many many trips to eventually get it all here. but those are my primary calibers. i already have 12 ga and hunting rounds here , not alot but adequate for awhile. and even these are tough to find here now. what would be your thoughts? will also be bringing a bunch of spare parts and AR magazines but the type and weight of different calibers has me changing my mind every ten minutes

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure any airline will allow that much ammo to be brought onboard. I seem to remember TSA allows almost nothing.
they do indeed. 50 lbs per alaska airlines website. all other airlines allow 11. stipulations are that it has to be securely packaged and no loose rounds. look it up.oh, and it has to be in checked baggage , cannot be carried on. same for magazines .

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Option 1 - FedEx all you want to yourself from SC
Option 2 - Since you're off work for an extended time, fly in to SC, get a rental and load it up with the ammo then drive it all back. A nice vacation, scenic drive and you get your ammo all at once.
ill never set foot in canada again , and it was my inderstanding that ammo could not be fedexed to alaska because they only ship here by air and they requirw ammo to be ground only. it would be nice if they did .

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
literally....in light of my injury , im thinking about taking a week or so and going back to SC in order to visit my kids and relatives. i also intend to start bringing some of my ammo back to alaska. per alaska airlines i can bring 50 lbs . most airlines allow only 11, so good on Alaska. 5.56 weighs about 26lbs per 1000. that is the minimum i would want for two rifles so that is definitely coming. my other priority is 9mm and 22LR . i was thinking about an even split but now im thinking maybe 200-300 of 9 and the rest 22 . the 9mm would be for my handgun and carbine but i think the 22 would be more versatile , even for defense in a pinch and weight wise would equate to alot more rounds . i could get about 3500 rounds for 16 pounds leaving about 8 pounds for 9mm. it will take many many trips to eventually get it all here. but those are my primary calibers. i already have 12 ga and hunting rounds here , not alot but adequate for awhile. and even these are tough to find here now. what would be your thoughts? will also be bringing a bunch of spare parts and AR magazines but the type and weight of different calibers has me changing my mind every ten minutes
Just go by whatever Alaska Air allows. They are pretty lenient. Its cleaned out in Fairbanks and Anch.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just go by whatever Alaska Air allows. They are pretty lenient. Its cleaned out in Fairbanks and Anch.
nothing anywhere .....except on alaskalist ....INSANE prices they are asking . makes me sick to think of all the ammo i have down south and dont have much here. even after the hassles i got coming thru canada i wish like hell i would have brought my 5k round limit . i still would have had to fly my rifles and standard capacity mags up tho

·
Premium Member
35,668 Posts
Know anyone with a boat that wants to make a run to Seattle?

I know for a fact that tugs push barges up the inland passage. There’s GOT to be a way to get a few hundred pounds of freight onto one of those.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I know for a fact that tugs push barges up the inland passage. There's GOT to be a way to get a few hundred pounds of freight onto one of those.
i have shipped hundreds of pounds of tools from seattle up here. i called lynden today , thats who shipped my tools, and they told me they only shipped ammo from manufacturers or dealers. no personal ammo unleas it has been packaged and tagged by someone with a hazmat license. thata so crazy, considering alaska airlines will FLY 50 lbs of my ammo no problem. also as of dec 31 . ORM D is no longer the class for ammo. its now LQ limited quantity and is restricted to 66 pounds per container

·
Premium Member
35,668 Posts
i have shipped hundreds of pounds of tools from seattle up here. i called lynden today , thats who shipped my tools, and they told me they only shipped ammo from manufacturers or dealers. no personal ammo unleas it has been packaged and tagged by someone with a hazmat license. thata so crazy, considering alaska airlines will FLY 50 lbs of my ammo no problem. also as of dec 31 . ORM D is no longer the class for ammo. its now LQ limited quantity and is restricted to 66 pounds per container
Well that sucks. Looks like a suitcase full of ammo is the only real option, outside of outright smuggling.

Or....when you said "dealer"...what does that mean? Is a store a dealer? What if you paid a few bucks for a business license for a business called "My Ammo", then as a "dealer"....you could ship it?

May be worth checking.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well that sucks. Looks like a suitcase full of ammo is the only real option, outside of outright smuggling.

Or....when you said "dealer"...what does that mean? Is a store a dealer? What if you paid a few bucks for a business license for a business called "My Ammo", then as a "dealer"....you could ship it?

May be worth checking.
i had thought of that also, the only stickler is a two day 500 hazmat certification feom what understand . a few minutes ago, someone here told me they knew for a fact that fedex would ship ammo up here to certain locations and when i went to fedex website it doea appear that this may be true . the devil will be in the details im sure tho

·
Simple by choice
2,195 Posts

May be worth checking.
I'd go the smuggling route. If you get caught just tell them you can see Russia from your backyard. You wanted to be ready to repel Russian troops when Putin tries to restore Trump.

·
Premium Member
2,771 Posts

I know for a fact that tugs push barges up the inland passage. There's GOT to be a way to get a few hundred pounds of freight onto one of those.
We'll have to call you Gunrunner!!!

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts

You can get it barged up but it only makes sense (fiscally) if youre buying and shipping a pallet of ammo. We tried to get enough people here on base to do it. My Joes and Josephine's couldn't find enough people to order enough ammo.

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
I'd go the smuggling route. If you get caught just tell them you can see Russia from your backyard. You wanted to be ready to repel Russian troops when Putin tries to restore Trump.
Well in her defense. There are parts of Alaska where you can see The Soviet Union (I'm a Cold War Kid). I think she was speaking colloquially. You cant see it from Wasilla, where she has a house. We will have to repel Soviets, they're attack plan was to come through Alaska...seize oil refineries and ports...then continue through Canada (Western England). Regrettably, they wont be there to restore Trump. We're stuck with Chairman Biden.

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
i had thought of that also, the only stickler is a two day 500 hazmat certification feom what understand . a few minutes ago, someone here told me they knew for a fact that fedex would ship ammo up here to certain locations and when i went to fedex website it doea appear that this may be true . the devil will be in the details im sure tho
AND you are going to have to drive to Anch and pick it up from the port.

·
Simple by choice
2,195 Posts
Well in her defense. There are parts of Alaska where you can see The Soviet Union (I'm a Cold War Kid). I think she was speaking colloquially. You cant see it from Wasilla, where she has a house. We will have to repel Soviets, they're attack plan was to come through Alaska...seize oil refineries and ports...then continue through Canada (Western England). Regrettably, they wont be there to restore Trump. We're stuck with Chairman Biden.
She was speaking literally. As Governor that was her backyard.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts