Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First thing I thought I about when/if the SHTF was weapon and ammo portability.

The weapons get carried in the range bags. That goes in the trunk, with as much boxed ammo as I can transport.

I have at least six mags for each gun I own. Too bad weapons mfrs don't make mags similar for weapons in the same caliber.

I bought milsurp mag carriers (I'd completely forgotten about them) from [url]www.qm-supply.com[/url]. They're intended to hold three M16 mags, but they hold more in handgun calibers. $5 each.

I stuffed the mags, loaded, in this backpack. $25.

G

·
I'm at odds with my buddy about this very question. He has stockpiled 1000's of rounds, but you really can't move that many without a truck. Lets say something happens forget about highway travel. Just watching the storms roll into Houston shows me that if you live in a major city you will not make it out. Roads were at a dead stop.

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
Thats the whole point of bugging-in. You stay put where the majority of your supplies are. if you have to bug out you do it with whats on your back and in you hands. If the SHTF im staying put unless i difinativly know i have a secure location to go to.

SW

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
I've got my ammo separated so that I'll have at least some with me if we have to bug out.
With my BOB I've got 90 rnds of 9mm & 90 rnds of .22lr. My UTG rifle bag has 3 50 rnd boxes of 9mm + my loaded mags for the 995.
Put a shell holder on the stock of my .410 that holds 9 rnds & attached a small camera bag onto the soft case that holds 20 rnds I think, & it can be attached to my belt to take with when needed.
I also have 2 army surplus ammo bags. One has about 800 rnds of ammo in calibers I shoot & the other has several common calibers that I don't shoot but have acquired over the years.
Then I also have my range ammo on the shelf of my gun safe, maybe 1500 rnds.

There is NO WAY I could carry it all myself. With my BOB, pistol belt(2 guns & 4 extra mags), 995 w/ UTG case & my 1 ammo bag I'd be dragging my tail after a couple miles. I'd have to have my wife carry the .410 in the case(no sling for it).

Having too many guns & too much ammo can be a liability when on the move.

·
Banned
1,409 Posts
Follow the KISS method.

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

Basically, It is great to be able to store a lot of ammo if you are going to Bug in. Most cases this is what you would do (Blackout, Blizzard, etc.). Of course there are times when you have to go "Red Dawn" and head for the hills such as a Hurricane, Flood, civil disturbance, INVASION by the Soviet Union!!! In that case you should have a pre selected amount of ammo ready to go in magazines and bulk. Carry as much as your physically able to. Think commonality. You should limit what type of ammo your going to carry. If your carrying a 9mm pistol then a 9mm Carbine should be your long gun for simplicity.

Someone in your group (Safety in numbers!!) should carry a long range gun and a shotgun is always good.

Personally I am looking at getting one of those new Taurus Judges (.410 and 45 long Colt) to carry with my .410. A 12 gauge is great but any large amount of ammo is extremely heavy.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Do not forget you have to get the ammo out of the house. The last thing you want to do is have to drag a bunch of heavy cans through the house. I am 5’8” and my windows are 5’8.5” and start 2” form the floor. My plain is to take out the sashes back my truck up to my bedroom window and walk out with the can and load them.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Hey MO-Shooter,

Had the same problem. Bought a Beretta 92F, Kel-Tec Sub2K, and a Beretta Cx4 Storm. 3 guns; one set of mags that fit all three.

-'bridge

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ammo is always going to be a problem if you're on the move. Fortunately, we live out of town a few miles and will hunker-down if SHTF, (unless the nuclear power plant 35 miles to our s.w. springs a leak...). If we do have to vacate in a hurry we have a tidy pile of milsurp ammo cans packed and ready in the garage.

We broke-up our ammo stash into 3 locations on our property. Even though we only own an acre of land, it's never smart to have all your eggs in one basket. The same line of thinking has me buying 3 995's and 3 C9's and stashing them in various locations as well. My brother and stepson are on the same wavelength with 9mm firearms, so no matter who's house we're at we have common ammo to share.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts