Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, there are a billion brands of ammo out there. what works in a HP and what should I stay away from. The "wolf" brand is pretty inexpensive. I dont want to buy from the ranges anymore; too expensive. what u all recommend? I own the 45 and 9mm models....

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
My 4 Hi Points don't seem to have a preference for ammo

I have shot cheap ammo and self defense high dollar ammo in my guns, and they have done fine. I have shot my 9mm and 40 S&W reloads with good success as well. Well, that is except for a squib reload that had no powder in it. The primer fired the bullet to the end of the barrel where it stuck. It wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't been shooting for my CC license. The teacher laughed, and I finished with my Hi Point 45. (grin)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had a few FTF problems with the Win White Box ValuPac (probley 400 rds of that in my C9) and it was dirty. The Federal and Brass Blazer target loads worked perfectly and quite clean (over 1000 rds). All is avalible at Wally World for $8.97 50box.

John

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm going to have to keep checking back at WW. They were out when I was there. I did not know they had it that cheap.

·
Registered
27 Posts
none of my hps (2c9's&995) liked the blazzer aluminum nothen but jams cases to soft. all outher ammo has been fine

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah, the regular blazer kinda sucks, but if that's all that's out their, a few jams is okay I guess if you really want to go to the range and that's your only option. But I think the brass blazer is a good load. That aluminum doesn't retract after the round is fired like brass does, same with the wolf steel cases.

John

·
Registered
28 Posts
And keep in mind, some ranges don't allow Wolf steel case and Blazer aluminum to be used. Just a heads up if you didn't know, befor you buy a stockpile, check your range and be sure.

John.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Had to go out to the store for the wife. So I swung by Wally World and they had one box of the Federal .40 for 12.97. So I grabbed that. I will have to keep checking back.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Had to go out to the store for the wife. So I swung by Wally World and they had one box of the Federal .40 for 12.97. So I grabbed that. I will have to keep checking back.
That Federal 40 cal is 180 gn also, where most is 165 gn. Cant beat the price too! Good catch.

John

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just took my new C9 (first handgun) to the range yesterday, and ran 300 rounds through it. Accuracy problems were entirely my own, I'm sure. The brands were Wolf, S & B, HSM, BVAC, Magtech, and Remington not necessarily in that firing order). It ate up most of that, with no problem. There may have been a few FTF with the S&B, but the Wolf's "failure" to feed was so stubborn, I'd call it "refusal". That's one brand I'm never buying again.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
My C9 jams every 2 rounds with WWB but shoot blazer, wulf and federal just fine all day long.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i tried 2 50 rnd boxes of wolf in my c9 and constantly had feed issues. wolf is the only ammo that my c9 "rejects". my local shop stopped selling wolf 9mm because too many people were complaining about it! wolf worked great in my 995 though.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I've had no problem with Blazer Brass, Speer Lawman, Fiocchi, Remington UMC, American Eagle, Winchester WB, nor MFS (a Hungarian brand). I did have a few hiccups with Sellier & Bellot which is steel cased ammo coated in brass, plus it got sticky all over when I left a mag full in the mag well overnight.

Those are the only brands I've run through my new 995TS so far.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've always been a fan of corbon's defensive loads. However for plinking, and I know every one will disagree. But I use Wolf its VERY cheap and if you don't mind getting your gun filthy from using it, then its fine. I have shot hundreds of rounds of Wolf, Brown bear and Silver Bear at matches with no problems at all.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.