Ammo shortage, what ammo shortage?

Discussion in 'Caliber Zone' started by Sirex, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Sirex

Sirex Member

Seems like someone has the OPPOSITE problem. Remember, this is ammo WE the taxpayer bought, which could be resold as milsurp at least to recoup some cost, or diverted to the other agencies needing "assault rifle" ammo, like the Postal Service, Weather Service, IRS, Dept of Homeland Insecurity, police departments, toll booth operators, Bloombergs goon squad, etc........

http://www.stripes.com/report-pentagon-to-destroy-1b-in-ammunition-1.280372

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Rat BASTAGES!!!!!:mad:

3. hell its ok the tax payers can sh.t money

4. Reading that just makes me glad the government is getting involved in healthcare. I'll sleep better knowing we're only a few years away from healthcare as good as Cuba's.

5. Branth

Branth Member

I wonder if "destroy" means pull apart and sell components? Or would that make too much sense?

6. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Knowing the government and military, it will mean blowing the ammo cans in place, then realizing that didn't work, so now they need to have 100 guys spend 3 months searching the debris by hand to find each round that looks intact, followed by x-raying each round individually, storing each one in a climate controlled place to avoid deterioration, until someone forgets what it was all about, and we end up storing it all for 3 decades, at $1 million per year, waiting to get authorization to attempt another method of destruction.

About the year 2045, someone will discover the non accounted for munitions, spend $5 million figuring out where it came from and what to do with it...and in the end they will dump it all into the ocean out by Johnson island, at a cost of another $5 million when the "Save the Seas" group sues them. There will then be a superfund cleanup area declared, and at a cost of $15 million, some group with a Boston Whaler and a dredge will be tasked with cleaning up the area.

Tell me I'm wrong.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  7. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY

You're WRONG!!!

But you are probably right...:p

8. Branth

Branth Member

You know, if they contracted this **** out to FedEx or UPS or something, it'd be solved within a year, I'd bet. Somehow I doubt they have trouble keeping track of what they have where.

9. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I saw the story reported elsewhere (drudge maybe, I fergit).

Some of this "ammo" is "missiles," artillery, and stuff that you can't shoot out of your AR.

And part of the problem is that their inventory systems are crappy, don't interface with other Services, and often can't tell how much is actually there or how much of what's there has gone past their arbitrary "best used before" freshness date.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

10. Back in the 90's the company I worked for was involved with the Navy Superfund cleanup and I spent 6 months on Adak Island in the Aleutians. It was amazing what was on that island that they had no records or knowledge of because the records were never kept or were lost. While we were there they found a bunker that had been sealed for God only know how long. One of our hazmat guys offered to go in and test the air before anyone else went in. He said he was in there for about 5 minutes, the only light was his flashlight so he couldn't see much and couldn't look around but what he saw was crates and crates of WWII weapons never opened. He gave the all clear and they pulled him out of there and slapped a lock on it. Never did find out what happened to them, probably still there.