Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
If he's purchasing their entire stock to do so and their regular clientele don't get a shot at below market prices, he's an asshole. If he's using his employee status to exceed purchase limits, he's an asshole.

HOWEVER I'm curious if he's legally shipping them without a hazmat contract because UPS won't allow individuals to ship primers without a contract and FedEx requires you to become an approved hazmat shipper with or charges you $115~$117 handling fee per package PLUS shipping costs.
charges huge shipping prices may be the explanation right there.

If the store is putting them out at below market prices, and then allowing their employees to flip em at market online, w/o recognizing what's going on, the store is managed by idiots. If there are no purchase limits, and the primers actually go on the shelves at below market price before the employees buy all of em, I'm fine w/ it. If the employees are selling it off the back dock before it ever reaches the retail floor, then yes, the flipper's an asshole. If you walk into any store whose product line you have some expertise in, I don't care if it's primers, batteries, beanie babies, or beef jerky, and you've got $1K cash in your pocket, and there is salable product you know you can move for 2-3X the price on the shelf? You're a poor steward of your money if you don't double or triple your $1K.

The simple fix is for the store to put the primers out on the shelf for the current market rate. You can buy em online & pay shipping & HazMat fees, or you can buy local & save the shipping & fees. Problem solved.

During the .22 drought, a very generous & clever ARFCOMer found a way to ping WalMart's servers to check the stock status of particular SKUs. My brother was complaining he couldn't find .22 LR anywhere. I left his house one evening, and about the 2nd or 3rd Walmart I swung by on my way home had 2x of the Winchester black 1k round packs. They also had a 750 or 800 round pack. They had a 3 box limit. I picked up my 3 boxes, called & asked him if 2800 rounds was enough. :)

·
Premium Member
26,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
charges huge shipping prices may be the explanation right there.

If the store is putting them out at below market prices, and then allowing their employees to flip em at market online, w/o recognizing what's going on, the store is managed by idiots. If there are no purchase limits, and the primers actually go on the shelves at below market price before the employees buy all of em, I'm fine w/ it. If the employees are selling it off the back dock before it ever reaches the retail floor, then yes, the flipper's an asshole. If you walk into any store whose product line you have some expertise in, I don't care if it's primers, batteries, beanie babies, or beef jerky, and you've got $1K cash in your pocket, and there is salable product you know you can move for 2-3X the price on the shelf? You're a poor steward of your money if you don't double or triple your $1K.

The simple fix is for the store to put the primers out on the shelf for the current market rate. You can buy em online & pay shipping & HazMat fees, or you can buy local & save the shipping & fees. Problem solved.

During the .22 drought, a very generous & clever ARFCOMer found a way to ping WalMart's servers to check the stock status of particular SKUs. My brother was complaining he couldn't find .22 LR anywhere. I left his house one evening, and about the 2nd or 3rd Walmart I swung by on my way home had 2x of the Winchester black 1k round packs. They also had a 750 or 800 round pack. They had a 3 box limit. I picked up my 3 boxes, called & asked him if 2800 rounds was enough. :)
Soooo......

That's a whole lotta unnecessary words just to agree with somebody...

·
Premium Member
26,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
No, took her to the hospital & back today. We're at the age where we have scheduled procedures. Dr Evil and his "LASER" was involved.
Shit, that could be anything. Eyes, tattoo removal, getting her mustache removed, skin resurfacing, hemorrhoids, spider veins, shall I go on?

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,693 Posts
No, took her to the hospital & back today. We're at the age where we have scheduled procedures. Dr Evil and his "LASER" was involved.
No we weren't

·
Administrator
29,775 Posts
I'm always amazed at the sheer # of gun people who characterize market pricing as "greed". So you're saying your LGS is selling primers below market, one of their employees is bright enough to recognize this, invests his money in primers, and is making bank. If it was your son selling apples online b/c the grocery store was selling apples below market you'd be happy for him.
At the beginning of the pandemic, I decided to sell some of my pistols that I hadn't shot in years but were just taking up space in my safe. I looked around at the going rates and then posted them for a stupidly-inflated amount on Armslist, figuring that interested parties would dicker me down. That didn't happen. What happened was that all of them sold for exactly what I was asking to the first person to make an offer. With one exception, no one tried to dicker me down at all.

However, I did get several direct messages from people telling me I was an evil "price gouger," was responsible for what's wrong the country, and my Immortal Soul was probably damned to Hell for it. Notice, they weren't interested in the guns. They didn't make a low-ball and then try to negotiate to a middle the way we used do, they just wanted to tell me how evil I was. Bunch of Communists.

I did have one guy make me an offer on one of the guns which would have been fair pre-pandemic and I told him as much but that Demand (as in "Supply and...") dictated a slightly higher price now. He replied that he didn't need the gun but liked the model and was just hoping to get a "spare." I told him to just hang on for a while and supply would improve and prices would come back down to non-insane levels; which they eventually did. We philosophically "shook hands," went on our ways, both had a nice day, and within a day or two someone answered the add with a "I'll take it NOW, when can we meet (because I'm desperate)?"

So, yeah, Supply and Demand Economics is now a Mortal Sin right there with Idolatry and Gluttony. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

• Sad
Reactions: Rerun
21 - 28 of 28 Posts