Ammunition recommendatins for c9

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by tkd_fan, Feb 22, 2016.

1. tkd_fan

tkd_fan Member

Hey all--
    My C9 is running great.I I'm using fmj 115gr ammo for target practice. I seem to have some issues with the federal aluminum case rounds...but that appears to be it. I couldn't find any of that so I used the brass ammo and all worked great. I'm not sure it's worth the $3/box since I only get one or two stovepipes (or other issues) per box of 50. Since I'm not using fmj in the c9 for self defense I don't worry too much (expecially since I don't have issues with brass ammo fmj rounds).

I finally had a chance to run some of the self-defense rounds that I bought through it. I used Winchester PDX1 Defender 124 gr +P rounds. It was what Wal Mart had at the time. I liked the way they shoot in the c9 but I'm seeing some questionable reviews.

I saw the liberty civl defense rounds and the YouTube videos were impressive. There are just as many reviews that say it's gimmick ammo. They're about the same price as all the other SD rounds out there.

So my long winded question is this...what would you recommend? I get that it's more the shooter than the ammo but I also want to use something that would do the job without hurting anyone else (should I ever have to defend myself or my loved ones). Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016

3. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Hey Again, TKD!

The secret to getting a hollow point to feed properly is the shape
    of the nose, or ogive... at least without working the heck outta
    the feed geometry. Look at the 115 FMJ nose shape and then
    look for an SD round that approximates that shape as much
    as possible. Then it should work fairly well.

Another note, running a +P version should give sufficient HP
    expansion in a 9mm SD round, in most cases. The C9 has
    a 3.5" barrel so you could look for testing in similar length
    barrels.

4. vman

vman Member

5. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Hope So! I got a good bit of those in 10mm :eek:
    Kinda weak loadings for 10mm, and I have a heavy recoil spring :(
    I can always go back to the stock spring for the Freedom, however ;)

6. Hornady XTP runs good in my C9...:)

7. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

Have to agree with Micky the Mole. I use the Hornady Critical Duty ammo in all my 9mm and 9x18 Makarov guns. Shape is one of the reasons. They feed as good or better than a FMJ round.

http://www.hornady.com/store/9MM-135-gr-FlexLock-Critical-DUTY/

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  8. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

Mole, Mike, Mikey, Mickey, UndieG....gee, Rob, how many aliases do you need? :what::p:D

9. tkd_fan

tkd_fan Member

Thanks for all the input l. I was thinking of trying the Hornady next. I'll probably stick with the two brands if Hornady feeds well.

10. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

I'd ask the Local PD or Sheriffs Dept. and ask what they carry. Then get a few boxes and see if it works well in your pistol.

100% reliability is more important than the PROMISED "performance" of the +P+, thermonuclear, depleted uranium, laser, death ray bullets.

If it wont feed, fire and eject from your pistol 100% of the time...it's junk ammo.

You don't have to spend 20.00 a bullet either. The cheap o' hollow points work, just as well.

Placement is more important than the bullet type or the caliber. The Mossad use .22 Berettas...pressed to the base of the skull or behind the ear of their targets.
    http://www.tactical-life.com/firearms/israeli-mossad-22-lrs/#mossad-22-lsr-beretta-70

Remember, pistols are notorious for not "stopping" people. We carry pistols because they are convenient and it looks weird if you're carrying a shotgun or a rifle all day.

No one who had a choice and KNEW they were going to get into a gun fight, brought just a pistol.

11. tkd_fan

tkd_fan Member

>100% reliability is more important than the PROMISED
    >"performance" of the +P+, thermonuclear, depleted
    >uranium, laser, death ray bullets.

Hahaha!! That's a great line. Can I use that in my signature?

12. K357

K357 Member

Yep American Gunner 124 gr +p's...

13. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    The brass FMJ Perfecta is still running $10 a box at Wally World

14. There's an alias for each paternity suit. :rofl:

15. harleyboy65

harleyboy65 Supporting Member

I have not been able to get 9mm Perfecta at Wally World for a long time:mad:
    I also miss the 100 rounds of Tula brass 9mm in a plastic can:wah:

16. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Get by there!! I hadn't seen it in a while, but a few days ago I visited the SG counter and there was 20+ boxes on the shelf. Since then I have seen in other WMs too. They must have got a big order in.