An interesting observation on magazine cartridges

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by Patriot1, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Patriot1

Patriot1 The defense of freedom is never free... Member

The last time I went to the range, I had various feeding issues, and one failure to eject with the one magazine I have that came with my 40 cal. I noticed that my firing pin actually punched a hole through the primer, and the cartridge was stuck on the firing pin. I was of course firing the steel case ammo mostly, so I figured that may have been part of the problem. I fired one 7 round magazine of brass ammo with no problem.
    When I had my gun apart for cleaning, I put a loaded magazine into it, and I noticed that the cartridges in the magazine were canted to the left. I have a sneaky suspicion that this is causing some feeding issues, so I've made an adjustment to the outgoing feed lip on the left side of the magazine to see what happens the next time I go to the range. After making the adjustment, the ammunition appears to be lining up with the feed ramp much better than before. I plan to use only brass ammo the next time, and to only put 8 cartridges in the magazine to see what happens. Sometimes I feel that 9 and 10 cartridges cause some binding issues in the magazine, and feeding issues during the shooting process.
    I'll keep y'all posted on what happens.

daveindenver likes this.
  2. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Don't cycle live ammo!

Hipointer likes this.

3. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

Whose steel case? Tula? Wolf? Monarch? It's not the case. It's the printer. 9-10 rds in a mag isn't à problem. The mag was designed for 10.

4. DIRSUPop

DIRSUPop Member

primer, methinks he meant..........

5. 345Sire

345Sire Member

To bad, I'd love it if the 3D printers, or any others, would print ammo. Especially if it works off-line.:tinfoil:;)

DIRSUPop likes this.
  6. TNTRAILERTRASH

Somes guns don't like steel case ammo. High Point's usually gobble it up

Hipointer likes this.
  7. Hipointer

Hipointer Member

Mine does...and aluminum case stuff as well.

TNTRAILERTRASH likes this.
  8. Patriot1

Patriot1 The defense of freedom is never free... Member

I was using Tula ammo at the time.

TNTRAILERTRASH likes this.
  9. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

Tula is well known to have some real hard primers at times. In many calibers.

Hipointer likes this.
  10. There is a small gremlin lurking in the Tula factory, and every now and then it effs something up and ships it out.

Here's an example of the gremlin's handiwork.

Tula brass fail.jpg

Merle and 345Sire like this.
  11. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

My 40 will not cycle blazer aluminum.

12. 345Sire

345Sire Member

Wow, talk about an oopsie. Great example of quality control. NOT.
    Though, after looking at it again, it seems like it COULD still fire reasonably normal, rather than like a "squib". Seems the gasses propelling the round would still be mostly locked behind the the projectile, still sending it down range. YMMV.

13. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

I've made a few of these.

Rerun likes this.
  14. 345Sire

345Sire Member

Oopsie, or squib?o_O

15. Hipointer

Hipointer Member

Yes, it does have hard primers.

16. DIRSUPop

DIRSUPop Member

YIKES!!!

17. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    You had us fooled here, it is really out of a win white box isn't it?? :rolleyes:

rtm likes this.
  18. Nope, it's Tula Brass that comes in a cylindrical container. I also had one round of this stuff without a primer in it, but didn't take a pic.

moona11 likes this.
  19. TNTRAILERTRASH

You mean the white plastic 100rd round tub of Perfecta "BrassMaxx" made in Italy?

20. TNTRAILERTRASH

The Federal aluminum (also made by the same people) works in my 40's. Never tried the Blazer.