Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using the Condor Wayfinder (bottom knife in picture) knife as my primary bushcraft blade for some time now. An excellent blade that has proven itself to be worth much more than the cost of owning it. I would recommend it to anyone wanting a bushcraft style knife. It’s a very capable tool.

Recently I was gifted an Old Hickory Kephart style knife. I like it a lot. To the point that I decided to get the Ka-Bar Kephart. It’s a copy of the actual knife designed and used by Horace Kephart. There are only 2 known to exist, one is in a museum, the other in the private collection of Ethan Becker, who himself is a knife designer. The Ka-Bar Kephart is a copy of the knife owned by Ethan Becker.

I just received the Ka-Bar Kephart, but can already tell it is going to be a favorite. I only have one more knife to buy. I want a Nessmuk. Designed by George Washington Sears, a 19th century outdoorsman who went by the name "Nessmuk".

The Kephart and Nessmuk are grail knives to me. The Kephart is my birthday present to me. I think the Nessmuk will be my Christmas present.

The Nessmuk knife

Reactions: Dagwood and moona11

·
Premium Member
35,833 Posts
I like the way the Condor and the Nessmuk belly out far enough to give your hand clearance if you are cutting or chopping on a flat surface. They also concentrate power into a smaller area if you swing them. Of course, that would expose any weak metal, but that’s why they make them with decent metal.

·
Premium Member
9,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like some belly for some of the traditional Bushcrafting tasks. The flat grind slices much better than the Condor though. Flat grinds with much belly at all can be a bit weak in the blade. I like a saber grind on the knives with belly. Hard to find though, everybody likes Scandi grind though. That’s ok, as they are first cousins. None of these knives are choppers though.

Reactions: ajole
1 - 3 of 3 Posts