An upcoming crash in ammo prices?

Discussion in 'Caliber Zone' started by bscar, Jun 8, 2014.

1. bluebone

bluebone Duke of Sarcasm Member

i hope this story spreads so ammo buys will suddenly stop buying in anticipation of the big price drop.

2. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

Imagine the butthurt the gougers will feel when people stop buying their overpriced bullsh!t

3. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I'll back the truck up to the loading dock!
    I could use more 5.56 and 22lr as well as everything else.
    I have (almost) too many calibers :D Almost. ;)

4. SteveC

SteveC Member

WV
    I'd like to think that with the manufacturers cranking the stuff out, the pent-up demand will get satisfied and the anxiety-driven buying will fade. That would mean a better supply and the prices will have to come down.

I can hope, can't I? :(

5. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

Sometimes hope is all we have.

6. That is a good plan. If it goes down in price, one will want to buy a huge and do it quick. Otherwise the hoarders will buy it all up.

7. talon

talon the banned wagon

Not seeing it happening personally. Dunhams literally doubled the price on .22lr this week. I paid $2.49 for a box of 50 on monday, today it was nearly $6 same brand, same round count.

8. Moestooge

Moestooge Member

There may be some modest decreases, but don't expect any major downward moves. Supplies of popular centerfire rounds are back to fairly decent levels again, but .22s remain in short supply in many places.

This recent panic drove home a point that many gun owners never learned until last year, namely that ammo is king. Would you rather have 100 guns and 100 rounds or 4 guns and 4000 rounds? When asked about their supplies, many hunters used to say "I've got plenty of ammo. I've got a box." That foolish way of thinking is much less common today.

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Silly man.

I'd rather have 100 guns and 100,000 rounds.:rolleyes:

Obviously.:p

10. undeRGRound

INDY

I see what you are saying, but did you read the article?
    A price slump (your modest decrease) is likely, then "normalizing" of prices.
    I'd like to see 5.56 at early 2012 prices or lower... Bulk was around 30¢/round.

11. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Me too! I need another 1k rounds to be closer to ready.

12. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Until demand decreases, there's not a chance that prices will slump.

As far as I can see, demand isn't decreasing much.:mad:

And there's not a chance in Hades that .22 will drop under $20 a brick except in short sales by bigger stores.:rolleyes:

13. undeRGRound

INDY

....:D....

14. bluebone

bluebone Duke of Sarcasm Member

i'd be tickled just to SEE a brick of .22 in a store. and if it's under $30 than i'd be rolling in the isle.

15. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Judging by the prices of centerfire ammo, I doubt that we're going to see the crash that the author speculates. I hope so, for me, but I doubt it.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

16. Glock19Fan

Glock19Fan Member

The majority of ammo purchases in the last year and a half or two years has been new gun owners. Ever since the zombie fad and anti government hipster movements started in late 2012 people have been prepping and stocking up on supplies, firearms, and ammo. Now that interest has slumped and people are maxed out on their purchases, there will be less demand in the next year or so with the exception of regular shooters.

With the war in Iraq mostly over and the war in Afghanistan near complete the contracts will be cut and Lake City/ATK will be looking for sales and products in new markets.

Either way, I have plenty of ammo but I wouldnt mind seeing ammo back down to 2007 prices. This whole craze happened during Obamas first election and I dont see how people didnt see it the second time around. However, I have been shooting far less now that the ammo is harder to replace and I miss the days where I could go through a 550 round box of .22LR in one day and not have to worry about where my next supply would come from.

17. HP/C9/45ACP

HP/C9/45ACP Member

I don't think there's going to be any drastic decrease in prices. Manufactures will cut production and lay off employees before the prices drop too much. If .22 gets down to $10 a brick as the author suggests I'll be buying a few more cases for some really cheap plinking. Last two cases of .22 I bought in mid-late 2012 were $170 a case and I don't expect to buy them for that anytime in the near future, if ever again.

18. undeRGRound

INDY
    <highlighting what I am replying to>
    It seems to me that centerfire prices have dropped back to near "normal"
    meaning before Sandy Hook. This is a good sign, but not quite there I think.
    I was trying to get a group purchase of 5.56 together for a local BBS (INGO)
    and working on a price of 30¢ per round (mass wholesale). Due to the
    nature of markets and economics, I doubt we will see "pre-obama" prices,
    however...

Highlighted it! <bold, italics, underline>
    Exactly what I think. But prices could drop back near normal for 22lr :D!

BTW, what the heck is a "case" of 22LR?
    I have seen bricks (10 boxes) and lots of folks even call the 325 and 375
    boxes "bricks" :rolleyes: so what is a case??? 10 Bricks? :D:cool:;)

19. HP/C9/45ACP

HP/C9/45ACP Member

The cases I bought were 10 (525) round boxes of Federal bulk pack or 5250 rounds. I guess by old standards before they started selling bulk pack 325, 333, 375, 525, 550 555 round boxes a case was probably considered 10 (500) round bricks or 5000 rounds.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014