Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been out of commission for a few days since the shoulder replacement surgery.
Actually, I'm surprised at how little pain there is. Had it done the 18th, they lied, said it was going to be a 4" incision but more like 7-8":

Spent 1 night in the hospital and came home last Thursday. Went to therapy Monday and Wednesday, after seeing the surgeon's assistant, she removed the bandage and said it looked fine and to come back in 3 weeks.
I'm really having very little pain, if it wasn't bruised and swollen I'd probably have zero pain. The titanium piece that goes in the bone in the arm reaches almost to my elbow, the ball end is screwed to the shoulder.

And not really out of commission, just can't type worth a crap lefthanded!!! I wear a sling while I'm up and moving around but sitting down I take it off, when I go back in 3 weeks I get rid of it after that. I think there's 16 treatments at therapy, so far they've been a piece-o-cake.

Sleeping at night has been chore, last night I got some decent sleep in the bed, was sleeping in the recliner.

Should be back to shooting in a couple of months if the progress so far is any indication. Although I almost lost it last night. I put a bowl of soup in the microwave that is at head height. I almost had it down to the countertop with my left hand but it started slipping and I reached out with my right to stop it...I really thought the bottom part of my arm was coming off!!! Next time it's going to the floor.

Sorry for the crappy photo, I was holding the camera in my bad right hand and trying to push the button with my left. Should have used the timer!!!

·
Administrator
24,790 Posts
I know that feeling. I would feel great and forget about the back surgery and move too fast and it felt like the lower half of my body was about to get left behind. Talk about a very odd feeling.

Reactions: Dubar

·
Premium Member
8,203 Posts
I had that after neck surgery, felt like my head was falling off when I bent over...

·
Premium Member
9,408 Posts
Heal quickly and completely @Dubar

·
Premium Member
4,848 Posts
What greg said, @Dunbar. Then we'll compare scars, K? (I thought it was a HOUSE cat named Bob!)

·
Premium Member
8,597 Posts
Been out of commission for a few days since the shoulder replacement surgery.
Actually, I'm surprised at how little pain there is. Had it done the 18th, they lied, said it was going to be a 4" incision but more like 7-8":

View attachment 73556

Spent 1 night in the hospital and came home last Thursday. Went to therapy Monday and Wednesday, after seeing the surgeon's assistant, she removed the bandage and said it looked fine and to come back in 3 weeks.
I'm really having very little pain, if it wasn't bruised and swollen I'd probably have zero pain. The titanium piece that goes in the bone in the arm reaches almost to my elbow, the ball end is screwed to the shoulder.

And not really out of commission, just can't type worth a crap lefthanded!!! I wear a sling while I'm up and moving around but sitting down I take it off, when I go back in 3 weeks I get rid of it after that. I think there's 16 treatments at therapy, so far they've been a piece-o-cake.

Sleeping at night has been chore, last night I got some decent sleep in the bed, was sleeping in the recliner.

Should be back to shooting in a couple of months if the progress so far is any indication. Although I almost lost it last night. I put a bowl of soup in the microwave that is at head height. I almost had it down to the countertop with my left hand but it started slipping and I reached out with my right to stop it...I really thought the bottom part of my arm was coming off!!! Next time it's going to the floor.

Sorry for the crappy photo, I was holding the camera in my bad right hand and trying to push the button with my left. Should have used the timer!!!
Get healthy!

eldar

·
Registered
24 Posts
Get well soon. Eat pineapples, they have bromelain to fight inflammation. Also in supplement form.
Time to check your left handed shooting skills.

·
Premium Member
8,203 Posts
Can anyone get in on the comparing scars ? Have one on the left forearm,, if it were in a straight line would be from wrist to past my elbow..
NOBODY wants to see the long scar on my low back... I would have to moon you to show all of it since it goes down the tailbone...

·
Premium Member
4,848 Posts
NOBODY wants to see the long scar on my low back... I would have to moon you to show all of it since it goes down the tailbone...
Somethings are best left unseen

·
Premium Member
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone!!! If I hadn't been so dumb as a teenager this may not have ever happened. The Why did I do that list just continues to grow!!!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Woah that is a big scar. Hope you do fine with this .

·
Premium Member
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Woah that is a big scar. Hope you do fine with this .
I'll take it any day over what I thought they were going to do...cut my arm off and then sew it back on 😱
Doc sez to wash the incision carefully and once the super glue is gone start rubbing vitamin E all over it, so far the showers haven't done much removal but I'm not scrubbing too hard either.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Good lookin' scar! But you can now throw a baseball 102mph!! I have those right down the center of each knee and I can now run 40 mph and leap tall buildings in a single bound.

(... OK, so the buildings thing is a lie.) Get well soon!

·
Administrator
24,790 Posts
I'll take it any day over what I thought they were going to do...cut my arm off and then sew it back on 😱
Doc sez to wash the incision carefully and once the super glue is gone start rubbing vitamin E all over it, so far the showers haven't done much removal but I'm not scrubbing too hard either.
Take your time. Your body's natural oil secretions will remove that liquid skin when it's time. Antibacterial soap only, pat it dry, don't pick at it or peel it off. You can actually start the vitamin E now. Aquaphor or A&D for the first few days, then a vitamin E cream. Don't go heavy on the vitamin E. Less is more here. So apply lightly 3-5 times a day.

·
Premium Member
Everything
3,017 Posts
Follow those Dr's orders- and Dr. Rach won't steer you wrong either- and you'll be right as rain.
Glad to hear you're doing well, Dooby, all things considered.
:)

·
Premium Member
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dang…had to get my shoulder replaced to get PK on the forum :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Thanks Pistolkitty!!!
They worked me over pretty good today, had my arm farther above my head (laying down) than I thought possible, even the PT was surprised. Still no pain while working on me but it hits about an hour or so later and it’s still sore 8 hours later. If that’s as bad as it gets I’m home free.

Go see the surgeon on Sept 15, hope the sling will be gone and I can drive again, fingers more or less crossed.

·
Administrator
24,790 Posts
Dang…had to get my shoulder replaced to get PK on the forum :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Thanks Pistolkitty!!!
They worked me over pretty good today, had my arm farther above my head (laying down) than I thought possible, even the PT was surprised. Still no pain while working on me but it hits about an hour or so later and it’s still sore 8 hours later. If that’s as bad as it gets I’m home free.

Go see the surgeon on Sept 15, hope the sling will be gone and I can drive again, fingers more or less crossed.
Walk in to PT feeling okay, ready to get an ass whuppin. Come out the other side feeling pretty damn good. Almost better, even.

Then you go home and the endorphins wear off and your body goes, "SCREW YOU PAL!"

·
Premium Member
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Walk in to PT feeling okay, ready to get an ass whuppin. Come out the other side feeling pretty damn good. Almost better, even.

Then you go home and the endorphins wear off and your body goes, "SCREW YOU PAL!"
Sums it up pretty well!

·
Premium Member
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
AND...It's my B-DAY!!! 70 years young today, time sure flies. Another 60 to go to meet my goal hahahahahahaha! By then my skeleton will look like the Terminator!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts