Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Banned
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Lessons for the new 995 owners or for the wise.

I'm a clean freak and got bored today so got the brilliant idea to clean my 995 really thoroughly. Took it apart, got into it and BOING go all three springs across the kitchen along with the little thingy that goes behind the two firing pin springs and the firing pin. I was already tired and clutsy today from a hard workout yesterday. Got a can of brake cleaner and flooded the slide and other assembly. TONS of carbon, grit and just crap came out of the gun after prolly a thousand rounds through it. Got all the crap out of it. Let the parts dry and flooded them with GT85, let that dry and wiped off the remainder. Put it back together and now have a clean and very lightly lubed 995.

Lessons learned: This 995 is NOT a gun or firearm. It is a CONTRAPTION and whoever "designed" it was on some mind altering substance or just a lot of beer. This contraption is NOT made to take apart. I had forgotten the time it take to do it. God bless them though because this contraptions does work for not a lot of money.

This contraption was made to just make a 9mm cartridge push the bullet out of a round tube.

DO NOT clean this contraption. If you must, just open the breach and flood it with brake cleaner then follow up with a spray of anything slippery but not gummy. Prolly doesn't need lube. This is not a gun nor a firearm. It is a CONTRAPTION!

DO NOT do this when you're tired! Nothing about this contraption is logical so it can be frustrating if you've ever cleaned a gun or firearm.

This contraption DOES need to be broken in. Wear surfaces on the slide were very evident and were there for a reason. Shoot the shit out of the gun when new and LEAVE IT ALONE!

Finally, Don't ever take it apart! It doesn't need to be taken apart and wasn't designed to be taken apart. Don't be hard headed about that. Remember, this is NOT a gun!

Just shoot the damned thing and understand it is a CONTRAPTION that can work very well even with a lot of dirt and carbon in it.

DON"T shoot Blazer ammo through it. It's sinfully dirty ammo. DO shoot S&B through it. It's amazingly clean ammo. I have too much Blazer left.

Now that I've gotten this contraption amazingly clean and lubed with GT85, it will probably never work again. May find out tomorrow.

Damn what a frustrating thing to do when tired. It isn't rocket science but this thing is one helluva design not meant to be taken apart. Lean it in a corner and just leave it alone!

Have a nice day!

POST SCRIPT: After all this non-precision cleaning and lubing, the trigger pull is actually pretty good especially considering it's a plastic trigger. Using it prolly has something to do with it.

·
Registered
66 Posts

I'm a clean freak and got bored today so got the brilliant idea to clean my 995 really thoroughly. Took it apart, got into it and BOING go all three springs across the kitchen along with the little thingy that goes behind the two firing pin springs and the firing pin. I was already tired and clutsy today from a hard workout yesterday. Got a can of brake cleaner and flooded the slide and other assembly. TONS of carbon, grit and just crap came out of the gun after prolly a thousand rounds through it. Got all the crap out of it. Let the parts dry and flooded them with GT85, let that dry and wiped off the remainder. Put it back together and now have a clean and very lightly lubed 995.

Lessons learned: This 995 is NOT a gun or firearm. It is a CONTRAPTION and whoever "designed" it was on some mind altering substance or just a lot of beer. This contraption is NOT made to take apart. I had forgotten the time it take to do it. God bless them though because this contraptions does work for not a lot of money.

This contraption was made to just make a 9mm cartridge push the bullet out of a round tube.

DO NOT clean this contraption. If you must, just open the breach and flood it with brake cleaner then follow up with a spray of anything slippery but not gummy. Prolly doesn't need lube. This is not a gun nor a firearm. It is a CONTRAPTION!

DO NOT do this when you're tired! Nothing about this contraption is logical so it can be frustrating if you've ever cleaned a gun or firearm.

This contraption DOES need to be broken in. Wear surfaces on the slide were very evident and were there for a reason. Shoot the shit out of the gun when new and LEAVE IT ALONE!

Finally, Don't ever take it apart! It doesn't need to be taken apart and wasn't designed to be taken apart. Don't be hard headed about that. Remember, this is NOT a gun!

Just shoot the damned thing and understand it is a CONTRAPTION that can work very well even with a lot of dirt and carbon in it.

DON"T shoot Blazer ammo through it. It's sinfully dirty ammo. DO shoot S&B through it. It's amazingly clean ammo. I have too much Blazer left.

Now that I've gotten this contraption amazingly clean and lubed with GT85, it will probably never work again. May find out tomorrow.

Damn what a frustrating thing to do when tired. It isn't rocket science but this thing is one helluva design not meant to be taken apart. Lean it in a corner and just leave it alone!

Have a nice day!
I took mine apart once.............

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've taken my 995TS apart 3 times now, and I only have maybe 600rds through it. Take your time and pay attention and it's not difficult. YouTube can definitely be helpful here . Maybe the 995TS is different from the original? But I've never had any issues with disassembly and reassembly.

·
Banned
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've taken my 995TS apart 3 times now, and I only have maybe 600rds through it. Take your time and pay attention and it's not difficult. YouTube can definitely be helpful here . Maybe the 995TS is different from the original? But I've never had any issues with disassembly and reassembly.
No issues, I was just tired and realized it not a gun, LOL!

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,889 Posts
Still...a pain in the aderondex. Not a very enjoyable experience. Cleaning a weapon should be an easy field strip. Not a bunch of BS. I agree with RCS for the most part.
There is a difference between a field strip and complete tear down to clean. But then most people dont even do a field strip let alone a tear down.

·
Banned
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most people don't tear down a Hi Point contraption. Boredom is not a good thing. I doubt if it will run any better.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,889 Posts
Most people don't tear down a Hi Point contraption. Boredom is not a good thing. I doubt if it will run any better.
Shit. Most people don't tear down any of their guns.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Yep. I do regular field strips and cleaning with all my guns. But seldom, if ever, have I done a complete teardown and clean. Most guns (at least the ones I own) function just fine with a simple field strip and clean. And unless it is regularly malfunctioning or unless I am installing an internal do-dad that requires disassembly, I don't tear it down.

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
View attachment 61447

I'm a clean freak...
Got a can of brake cleaner and flooded the slide and other assembly.

DO shoot S&B through it. It's amazingly clean ammo.
Brake cleaner! :yikes: Really?

S&B? :thumbsup:

I now have 3,424 rounds through my 995ts and all I have ever done is floss after every meal and scrape some tarter out of the comp a few times.

But in the last 500 rounds or so the cycling is getting sticky. Time for the grand opening. But brake cleaner?

But the gun still hits the target. I'm just a 25 yrd. plinker and happy with plinker quality groups. Pic of testing with a different ammo a few days ago. I like the 10-shot group, but POI is POS as is typical with different ammo.

P1070059.JPG

·
Premium Member
35,829 Posts
The manual even says don’t disassemble it....just send it back and they’ll clean and update as required.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I think by brake cleaner he means a product called Brak-Leen which is a canned aerosol product that removes gunk, grease, dust, etc from brake parts. Its a non-chlorine organic compound that is a solvent. It does contain heptane which is flammable and might affect plastic parts but IIRC the amount is so low that it should not do any damage. Check it first on an inconspicuous part to make sure. It does a heck of a job removing any and all grease or residues. It sprays under pressure and should be pretty good at cleaning the hard to get places in the action. A good lubing after that should do the trick. YMMV.

Reactions: daveindenver

·
Banned
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I think by brake cleaner he means a product called Brak-Leen which is a canned aerosol product that removes gunk, grease, dust, etc from brake parts. Its a non-chlorine organic compound that is a solvent. It does contain heptane which is flammable and might affect plastic parts but IIRC the amount is so low that it should not do any damage. Check it first on an inconspicuous part to make sure. It does a heck of a job removing any and all grease or residues. It sprays under pressure and should be pretty good at cleaning the hard to get places in the action. A good lubing after that should do the trick. YMMV.
Yes, brake cleaner from your local auto parts store. It handily flushes out all the carbon and other crap leaving a very clean dry surface. DO follow up with something like GT 85, a light lube that leaves behind teflon and a lite lube. The gun will be squeaky clean. Prolly won't shoot either. We'll see soon. An amazing amount of crap gets in these guns after a thousand rounds but you gotta like that lifetime warranty. Don't shoot dirty ammo....unless you want the perp to die from sepsis instead of a well placed shot.

·
Banned
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The manual even says don't disassemble it....just send it back and they'll clean and update as required.
l

What normal male ever reads an owner's manual or instructions to anything?

·
Banned
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You just have to be an adventurous independent, original thinking, non-herd mentality, non-group-think, non-smug, SOB to buy and own a Hi-Point. Caring what other people think is not a Hi-Point buyer. BTW, the list price on mine was $230 without tax. What did I have to lose? The more you shoot one, the better it shoots. They like torture and dirt.

Hi Point owners are generally dangerous, conservative, 2A supporters that are always looking for something to shoot. They own mountains of ammo and buy it because ammo and guns are security. They are commonly smart-asses and narcissistic assholes that treat one another like shit while owning ridiculous numbers of other kinds of guns. Don't mess with the typical Hi-Point owner.

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
Hi Point owners are generally dangerous, conservative, 2A supporters that are always looking for something to shoot. They own mountains of ammo and buy it because ammo and guns are security. They are commonly smart-asses and narcissistic assholes that treat one another like shit while owning ridiculous numbers of other kinds of guns. Don't mess with the typical Hi-Point owner.
I still haven't quite figured out what your major malfunction is.
Maybe next time when you feel the itch to spend $230 you can just send it to me and I'll use it to buy steel case ammo....extra dirty.

Reactions: BobL.

·
Saved by Grace through Faith
60 Posts
l

What normal male ever reads an owner's manual or instructions to anything?
LOL....Well Dad always did say... "Dat boy ain't right"! Guess I am not a normal male...I devour owner's manuals and all the technical documentation and videos I can get my eyes on. I want to truly understand how a machine works.

I have never had trouble working on, disassembling, or cleaning my 995ts though I must admit is it a bit atypical and nonintuitive. What amazes me as you pointed out in your initial article is how it manages to do its job so well given its fairly primitive and simplistic construction.

It reminds me of the old VW Beetles....just what it takes to get the job done and totally out of the box in terms of the design approach. I just can't help but adore these crazy little "contraptions"! :eek:

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.