1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G

·
ya that sucks..

it's not totally a bad idea to get some dummy ammo like snap caps or maybe some azooms..

and practice keeping a gun near by.. like in the living room.. practice loading/unloading and clearing the gun a few times during th day.

to train your self anytime you're not intending to shoot the gun you should pick it up unload it.

it has to be a almost religious ritual which really only gets ingrained with repetition.

i keep my taurus on my desk and anytime im going to be handling the gun and it's not a "what was that sound?" situation i drop the mag & clear the chamber, infact it's not a bad idea to check the chamber twice.

one of the problems with some designs today is they require pulling the trigger to field strip.

but they did'nt follow rule #1 not to point it at something you dont want to die/destroy.. at least if he had followed this rule he would be pissed but still alive.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I cannot really understand how you could shoot yourself or anything else while cleaning a gun. Maybe I am being dangerously naive but it seems easy enough to pick the gun up, check if it is loaded still treat it as if it is loaded and then take it apart. Can't really end up getting shot that way.

as for having to pull the trigger to disassembly a gun? I think that I only have one gun where you have to do that and that is the MN 91/30 so you have to pull the bolt back and then pull the trigger so that is not a problem either. It just seems like you would have to not be using the basic safety precautions for it to happen.

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
On my S&W Sigma 9VE you have to dry fire the weapon before you can disassemble it. Due to the fact that it's a almost carbon copy of a Glock, there are several Glock weapons that are the same way. The thing about it is this: If you miss the critical step in the checklist called CHECKING THE DAMN BARREL you kinda deserve what you get..... Just my $0.02....

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
The only weapon I have, until I pick up my 995 tomorrow, is the S&W Sigma 9VE. The only reason I havent put some lead into my floor during cleaning with this weapon is I always......

TREAT EVERY FIREARM AS IF IT WERE LOADED!

Its always that one time you didnt that ends your life. Gosh what a dumb way to die.

·
Registered
719 Posts
No to sound completely heartless or cynical, but it was most likely a suicide. When I was an EMT-b, it was pretty much the policy of the local police and ambulance service to write up suicides as 'gun cleaning accidents'. It was a kindness to the family. The fact that he laid out newspapers leads me to this conclusion, too. The suicidal often off themselves in places or conditions that will be 'easy' for their family to clean up, like bathtubs and the like.

Either way, it's very sad. If it was a simple accident, it's regrettable because just about any accident can be easily avoided by taking simple precautions. If it was suicide, well, there's no problem perceived or real that's worth ending your life over.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
No to sound completely heartless or cynical, but it was most likely a suicide.
Bingo. Not that accidents don't happen, and real gun-cleaning ADs happen, but whenever I hear of one of these, the first thought is ""He tried to make it easier for his family".

We had a sad case in Georgia several years ago. The specifics that I'm going to give may not be quite right, but they're close.

An assistant coach at the University of Georgia waited until his family was away from home, and then set up all his cleaning equipment and a bunch of firearms out back by the pool.

Unfortunately, his first shot went awry, and -- in pain -- he crawled around the pool to the far side before taking another shot to end the pain. The subterfuge, obviously, didn't work.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Now to actually be heartless and cynical, you'd be amazed at how man teen 'suicides' were actually auto-erotic asphyxiations gone wrong. Again, it was policy for the sake of the family.

G

·
When I clean ANY firearm, I am kinda OC when doing so: I work the action(s) repeatedly, even watching the bore area to be sure. Even after it is cleaned, I do a function test, and EVEN THEN, I work the actions again. And I do NOT stop mid cleanig for a phone call or anyone asking me questions...thats the ticket for not having your head where it should, and thats where accidents happen, amigos.

G

·
I am very anal when I clean my firearms. Even with the guns totally tore down to parts I still treat the things like they are loaded and could still kill someone.

During the cleaning process I check and recheck and check some more the chambers just to make sure I didn't miss something. I also clean my guns in a separate room from my ammo and magazines, just to make sure something doesn't happen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts