ANother article about bringin a knife to a gun fight

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by tallbump, Aug 14, 2014.

1. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

https://www.facebook.com/USCCA/photos/a.10150190866609371.329707.166833599370/10152636153194371/?type=1

Not really an article, but a little blurb on Facebook. From the US Conceal Carry Association

USCCA Tip of the Day: If you're carrying a concealed firearm and an attacker comes at you from 21 feet away with a knife, who wins?

Not necessarily you! Lieutenant Dennis Tueller of the Salt Lake City Police Department demonstrated that simply having a firearm doesn't necessarily mean you could bring it into action in time to protect yourself.

Tueller proved that it takes an attacker approximately 1.5 seconds to cover 21 feet and that most average armed citizens cannot clear their gun from a holster and get it on target in that amount of time.

Based on Tueller's experiment, most police departments now consider anything within 32-50 feet to be within the "danger zone."

2. I defintely agree.

I am planning to use my old air soft pistol to do some real world practice with my wife on this topic.

as soon as I find what drawer I stuck it in.

3. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I hate this stupid "study", and it irritates me that people that think it means something. I mean, if we let the assailant hold a gun, he has even more of an advantage, right? So what's the freaking point?

The fact is, ANYONE with ANYTHING in their hands ready to hurt you WILL succeed, if you don't know their intention. Even if you DO know they intend it, within 7 yards, you haven't much better than an even chance, no matter what you are packing, unless you have it in your hand. Even then...OMG, what if he comes up behind me!?!:eek:

Guess what, if someone wants to hurt you, unless he's an idiot, he will succeed.

So, what do we do about it?

Carry in our hand condition 1 at all times?

Wear bulletproof/cut proof gear and a helmet everywhere?

Never ever let anyone come within 21 feet of us?

Seriously, IMHO, this whole thing is a jack up job for wanna-be's and mall ninjas, thinking they are gearing up for a gunfight in the streets at high noon. Or midnight.:rolleyes:

999 times out of 1000, SD is NOT about who can clear leather first in a face off. It's about surprising the guy trying to rob you, who is NOT ready to lunge at you to hurt or kill you. If he does lunge at you, all you get is a chance to minimize damage.

Here's the advantage in a gun. Bad guy is holding a knife...but he's waiting for you to get out your wallet. Bad guy is telling you he's going to kick your butt as he opens his car door and heads toward you. Bad guy is looking for you as he enters the room after beating the door down.

That's when guns work. They aren't the answer to every possible scenario...but the reality is, there IS no such answer.

5. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Wait? You mean that's not normal?

I'll be right back. Apparently I have to go change cloths. :p

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

6. As much as it would suck to be stabbed. If i can at least squirm my gun out and fire while hes on top of me, ill be very pleased i was carrying. That's much better than just being stabbed multiple times. And i think may be worth more than training to get your gun out super fast

7. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Pft. Senator Feinstein assures me that he'll just take your gun away and use it against you. Nah, you're better off just being stabbed and then asking a Democrat for "Official Victim Status."

Maybe you can blame it on the Violence Inherent in the System, or maybe the Tea Party.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Just practice throwing a snap kick to the chin, as you draw. The more advanced student can use the crane technique, as per The Karate Kid.

But again...do you REALLY think this scenario is even remotely likely in your situation? If it is, can you ever really get fast enough to stop the BG? Is it even worth worrying about?

We can't answer for each other, but in my case, it's a decisive no.

9. Or blame George Bush...

I have been in that spot a few times, a couple times stabbed(minor wounds). Rather than draw and be exposed I rushed the perp, pinned them to whatever I could. Probably the best tool IMO for knives is the 36 inch riot baton, but who carries one. Next best is a good hickory cane, though mine is made out of dogwood.

10. honestly no,
    But a lot of stuff has happened in my lifetime that i never thought would. now the apocalypse, economic collapse i have been preparing for. never happening you know why? because Karma is a bi*ch

11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Can't argue with that.:p

You gotta do what feels right for you.;)

12. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I walk with a gentleman's cane nearly 100% of the time I am out of the home.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

13. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Violence inherent in the system!!!!! Help!! I'm being oppressed!!!

14. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

The best way to respond to this kind of attack is to run towards Your gun hand angled away as you draw Your weapon and fire across Your body.

By running at an angle away from the attacker you are buying time to draw and shoot.

Merely backpedalling away increases the odds that you will fall over allowing the attacker the upper hand.

eldar

15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Funny, except it's "repressed".;)

16. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I knew I could count on you guys to catch the reference. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

17. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

kirk,

Don't You mean "she'll just take Your gun away...?

eldar

18. Bull

Dammit! I was shooting from the hip... Bad quote... Sigh.

19. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

More like shooting from the 'lip'...

;)

eldar

20. Bull

I hear that the mind is the second thing to go...... Don't remember the first.