Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I bought a 1996 Monte Carlo last week and starting yesterday when I turn left or right I hear a popping noise coming from the front end. I can fix cars but I have a heck of a time figuring out whats wrong with them! I"m thinking its the ball joints anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is it a *pop* or a *tick*? I am having a similar problem with my 94 accord but its more of a tick. it drives me nuts
its a popping noise, but it only does it when I turn then once I turn and go to straiten out the wheels it pops again.

·
Registered
476 Posts
more than likely its a broken swaybar link . Its hard to say for sure , but its a common issue on most american made car's ..

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
Could be a lot of things. Bad lower ball joints, bad CV joint on the axle, bad inner or outer tie rod ends, bad bearing plate on the strut, could be just a loose mount on the rack. You need to get it up on a lift with the wheels hanging so they can check it out. Most places offer a free inspection and estimate. If you have a Midas franchise they do a free "visual courtesy check" where they inspect the car for obvious problems. They want to sell you services, so any questionable stuff will be pointed out.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
If you have a jack...lift up the side in question, and shake the wheel. If you have up and down play. Ball joints is bad (the abbreviation for those are BJ...) and if you have side to side play, then you have tie rod problems. Chances are though, popping noise is lower ball joints.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Monte Carlo, that would be rear wheel drive, so it's not the CV joints, so it would have to be either Tie Rod ends or ball joints.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Monte Carlo, that would be rear wheel drive, so it's not the CV joints, so it would have to be either Tie Rod ends or ball joints.
Believe it or not this one is front wheel drive, I wish it was rear wheel drive probably would be a lot easier to work on. lol

·
Registered
855 Posts
After 1990 the Monte Carlo went from out classic 2 door rear drive, to the "Lumina" front wheel drive platform. Im putting my money on having a bad C/V over anything else. All options mentioned are good possibilities however I have fixed quite a few busted C/V's on these cars. The next possible for me would be a ball joint and without jacking it up I would look for an irregular wear pattern on the inside of the tire. The C/V is actually pretty easy to fix and advance auto has the tools to replace it in there loaner program. Hope this helps.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
CV joint almost for sure. the strut bearings on those models almost never failed. only other thing is to check and make sure all the bolts on the strut mounts are tight and are not shifting back and forth in the body mount holes. if it was a ball joint, tie rod or sawy bar link, it would make noise when moving up and down, ie going through a dip.

SW

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
My first thought is the CV joint also. As SW said check for loose bolts on the strut mounts, its a cheap and easy fix if that's the problem.

Ron M.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
is it a *pop* or a *tick*? I am having a similar problem with my 94 accord but its more of a tick. it drives me nuts
I get the same thing in my honda and my brother got the samething in his. It's the cv joints I believe.

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
If it's going click click click as you've got the steerng wheel bottomed out and rolling forward slowly it's probably a C.V. joint. If it's one pop that you can feel in the steering wheel then it's probably a tie rod end or a sway bar bushing. Let us know what you find out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.