Another cool thing about my daughter's school

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by tallbump, Nov 11, 2014.

1. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

SO, being the great dad I am, I was teasing my daughter that I had off work today but she had to go to school :p

Then I was looking at her school calendar to see what days she has off that I don't.

I came to December 1 and saw this

[​IMG]

Unofficially, I always knew that was the reason. PA has more hunters than any other state, so attendance tended to be low before schools started giving that day off. Most most calendars just show Thurs-Mon and say Thanksgiving break. It's great to see it acknowledged for what it is :D

2. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Do they even go to school? That's like 50% off?
    They have 14 hrs days when they do go right? To make up?
    ;)

3. More than half those days up there I never got off lol.
    Parent teacher conferences were always either after school or on a weekend, no time off for that. Where I want to high school was a big hunter's area, so we were allowed to take off with a note from our parents, but otherwise school was in session.
    Had school on Election Day. Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks are on par.
    Half days were nonexistent (if I am remembering correctly, we only had one half day ever in my entire school "career," and that was because of a fire in one of the shop classes).

Got a kick out of the "teacher grading" thing. Every other teacher can grade outside class hours, are these ones a tad bit...special lol?

4. Graduated Highschool in PA in 2008.

Always had the first day of buck off. And it was public school

But you are correct, Even that week was very low attendance from boys.

My dad would also let me take off the last few days in Doe, if i hadn't filled my Tag yet.

What people forget is that this is more than a tradition.

IF you get a deer you just saved your family the price of buying beef, steaks, roasts, ground meat.

It isn't just a tradition, or hobby, It is a way to provide for your family, taking that away is just like killing a farmers Live stock.

5. rickm

rickm Member

The only time I can remember school closing during the school year was 2 weeks for Thanksgiving but back then it was called a harvest break cause everyone was expected to be in the feilds picking cotton and then we got a few days off for xmas and that was it and school always started the same time every year it was the week in Sept that the 16th fell on and always ended in may the week the 12th fell on.

6. We should also remember, His kids go to Private school.

different rules I imagine.

I do know that they added some "break days" to things in my town ship.

Mainly to alot for snow days.

In other words. If they had a bunch of snow days by Christmas break. They would only get eve and Christmas off.

This way they stay on schedule for summer break.

7. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

While the school I went to was rural, they never let us off for hunting season. We were, however, one of the first of the county schools to close for snow; if the city schools closed, every county school was closed as well. It was one of the things that kept me glued to local radio stations on school days, to make sure my school was delayed or canceled.
    More and more schools are closing for cold temps or even fog, something that would have earned us a 2 hour delay at most, more snow days, too, even though there hasn't been as much snow as there used to be coming down.

8. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

I went to a public school. Deer season got days off, opening of fishing got a few days off... we had priorities and that was filling the freezer. Hunter after school most days for squirrel and rabbit to fill in around the venison and the beef and pork from the farm of my grandparents where I helped in summer. Plus the farm garden and the garden at home added to the food stash. We did not buy a lot from a grocery store.

9. Liberty

Liberty Shhh! Lifetime Supporter

When I was little I lived in Kansas. Now where we lived wasn't ENTIRELY flat, but sort of little rises. We got picked up at one spot and dropped off at another. Both were SLIGHTLY uphill - true story. I also lived through the winter of '77 - beastly. I can honestly say I had to walk to school in the snow uphill both ways.

10. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I remember that one.... It was a cold ass winter.

11. I'm Pennsylvania it's always true if you just say.

Walk up a hill both ways.

Seriously. Everything is on another mountain side.

12. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

I remember 77... had my first car and the hills in town were fun driving on whatever ratty used tires we could dig out of junk yards. But it was a tank and had the weight to get around, 69 olds delta 88 hard top, no pillar between the front and back windows. Thing help 8 people easy not including the trunk which was big enough to sleep in...

My route to school literally was uphill both ways too, up out of the river valley then down into the other river valley

13. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Them ain't mountains, son...:rolleyes:

These is MOUNTAINS.:cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  14. Well they sure aren't the rocky mountains.
    They are the nice rounded Appalachian.

But I can assure you it's a lot more mountainous than a lot of states.

They are also almost continous. No flat spots in between. Just up and down up and down for hours in every direction

15. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    I know how you feel.

16. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    The area my dad grew up in was the same, Northern California, in the redwoods. Same idea, just taller trees, and the company towns were built around lumber mills instead of coal mines.;)