Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor was riding home tonight, and saw a dead fox on the road. With a pup clinging to her, and he felt bad and brought it home so it wouldnt freeze tonight....since its supposed to snow. Im thinking about adopting her if he survives the night. And I feel bad because from what I've read/heard foxes tend to have litters of 3-9 pups. Which means there are babies out there freezing right now. He said hes gonna give her to a Game Warden to "take care of" if dont adopt her. I want to just so I know he will be going to a good home. Should I take him, or should I let the GW take her and do what they do? Im not readily set up for a new animal, but I will make room for a new friend.

This isnt him, just thought I would put a pic of how cute they are.....

(this photo was used without permission from some random site I linked to from Google)

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Well i am glad we got it cleared up to whether it is a he or her.

Kidding aside, i think you should ask a game warden what the best thing to do is. There might be local laws requiring permits or forbidding the keeping of wild animals because of the risk of rabies and other diseases, or he might tell you to take the little one home and keep it as a pet.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont know if its a he or a she yet, I just say he because its one less letter I have to type. I know they are succeptable to rabies, but nothing a vaccine cant keep them from getting. And Im not worried about the law, I have an alligator in my house after all, lol.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
The GW will put a bullet in that animal, and leave it in the woods... to keep the cycle going.
That's one cute "Finnish Spitz" you have there... (if you don't know, google it)

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The GW will put a bullet in that animal, and leave it in the woods... to keep the cycle going.
That's one cute "Finnish Spitz" you have there... (if you don't know, google it)
Yeah, I dont know...I just Googles "baby fox" and chose the cutest pic I could find.

And I know thats what the GW will do, its so sad. I dont want that to happen.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Call that thing a finnish spitz, and go on about your business.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Okay here's where I girl out: awwwwwwwwwwww! If the game warden's just going to kill the thing, keep it I say.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I say keep it too.....don't know about foxes, but deer as pets are illegal here in N.C......still see some in pasture though, they get in and like the feed, and won't leave. My dad had a raccoon, a possum and a skunk(descented), they were great pets.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
More than likely, there are laws against keeping a wild animal as a pet... I know there are in TN, and most States follow suit. You may have difficulties finding a veterinarian to take care of it, get its shots, etc., who will not report you. As long as you understand that, and are ok with it, I don't see why you shouldn't keep it and give it a good home... I mean, how do you say "no" to a face like that?

"F" the government.

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
Funny thing, you can buy racoons as pets from pet stores.... That's just retarded.

Maaso, take some pics bro, I bet that thing is a cutie!

·
Registered
638 Posts
You can also buy all the vaccines you need, and give it the shots yourself. Kinda cool. I am sure that it depends on the state that you live in and the laws there. I know there is a guy here that has several mule deer as pets. My sister and her husband ranch in NM... They have helped several baby antelope out when their momma's die. They have always released them back out, but for a couple of weeks it is fun to be able to pet an antelope. I have always wondered if a coyote would make a good pet. Never thought about a fox.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He didnt make it through the night, my neighbor said that he was making his house smell. So he put him in his garage, and we got 8 inches of snow last night. I would have too her last night....but Im (temporarily) staying with my parents and it would have been tough to hide him, with him yelping and whining. I feel bad.

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts

We all know how that one turned out...

But on a serious note, make sure there isn't any laws around you or you can catch some deep shat. I think in our state you need to be a licensed rehabilitator to keep wild animals.

My friend got issued a ticket for raising farm bought pheasants because they are a wild game bird in his area.

But....here's a link to get some vacs for him. I would dose it the same as a dog the same sized. You can even get the rabies vac shipped to you. If you're gonna keep him, don't take it to a vet and for your own safety get the vacs and get him on a schedule.

http://www.huntsmart.com/hunt/Dog-Training--Supplies_49/Dog-Remedies_58.html

1 - 17 of 17 Posts