Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,428 Posts
Another incident in Atlanta, fortunately no one was hurt.

Man arrested at Atlanta grocery with six guns, body armor, police say
[Moderator Note]
If you are going to post a link to a story, you need to post a short description and/or synopsis of what the story is about. "another idiot" is not sufficient. You're new here so I'll cut you some slack this time but next time please just give a brief description. It's in the Forum Rules, which I recommend you read:
[/Moderator Note]

The short version is the suspect was arrested with a bunch of guns and body armor. While the article specifically says, "No one was injured, and the man's motives were not clear early Thursday." it's also pretty clear what they are implying was his motive.

The article also says, "Rico Marley was booked into the Fulton County Jail on 11 charges, including five counts of criminal attempt to commit a felony and six counts of possession of firearm or knife during commission of or attempt to commit certain felonies, records show." The article doesn't say what those "certain felonies" are but, again, the implication is clear.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
35,820 Posts
It's odd that NOWHERE in the articles do they say he did ANYTHING but walk in and go to the restroom, while carrying guns.

I'm sure he MEANT to do something stupid...but it's really strange that he was apprehended by multiple cops before he could.

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
Rico Marley, a black man... is charged with reckless conduct for being openly armed and armored :rolleyes: now.. yeah, was it stupid of him to be doing so in a store, days after the shootings? Yes. Was it illegal? all signs point to... not quite.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Rico Marley, a black man... is charged with reckless conduct for being openly armed and armored :rolleyes: now.. yeah, was it stupid of him to be doing so in a store, days after the shootings? Yes. Was it illegal? all signs point to... not quite.
Open carry is legal in that state, which means just carrying firearms isn’t reckless conduct.

Reactions: Think1st

·
Premium Member
9,305 Posts
So, someone probably saw him, panicked and called 911. The caller probably thought he was a King Sooper copycat. Personally, I'm with @ajole on this one. This sounds a might bit like a staged event to keep the public properly hysterical and susceptible to giving up more of the liberties they don't deserve in exchange for the illusion of more security.

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
Open carry is legal in that state, which means just carrying firearms isn’t reckless conduct.
It was also noted in the article where I found the one charge that he's charged with, also mentionted that the guy also had a Concealed Weapons Permit or license (not sure, the language they used was relatively vague and said "weapon permit")

Edit. Okay so he had a Concealed Weapons carry license, but Publix has a policy of their stores being gun free zones, with posted gun prohibition signs so that might be the only real charge they could get to stick other than "simple trespass"

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,889 Posts
It was also noted in the article where I found the one charge that he's charged with, also mentionted that the guy also had a Concealed Weapons Permit or license (not sure, the language they used was relatively vague and said "weapon permit")

Edit. Okay so he had a Concealed Weapons carry license, but Publix has a policy of their stores being gun free zones, with posted gun prohibition signs so that might be the only real charge they could get to stick other than "simple trespass"
Have to look up the state laws to see if and what laws are actually relevant. Lots of times you can get charged with something that has no bearing to the supposed infraction just to get you to plead out or they cant find a relevant law that was broken.

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
2,957 Posts
So, someone probably saw him, panicked and called 911. The caller probably thought he was a King Sooper copycat. Personally, I'm with @ajole on this one. This sounds a might bit like a staged event to keep the public properly hysterical and susceptible to giving up more of the liberties they don't deserve in exchange for the illusion of more security.
IF I was into conspiracy theories... sometimes maybe...

But What if he was "put up to" doing something really bad by umm lets say we know who, was offered a ton of cash for his family and guaranteed not to be killed but was having 2nd thoughts or cold feet hanging out in a bathroom... then his handlers sent in the police.

OK maybe far fetched, but weirder things have happened.

Reactions: Rabidwookie

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
IF I was into conspiracy theories... sometimes maybe...

But What if he was "put up to" doing something really bad by umm lets say we know who, was offered a ton of cash for his family and guaranteed not to be killed but was having 2nd thoughts or cold feet hanging out in a bathroom... then his handlers sent in the police.

OK maybe far fetched, but weirder things have happened.
The guy is black. Not sure how having a black dude be the next mass shooter is gonna further a certain agenda when there seems to be plenty of black dudes already involved in gang warfare and similar black-on-black crime in Chiraq that the media isn't really looking at :rolleyes: now, if it were a white veteran with mental problems....

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
2,957 Posts
The guy is black. Not sure how having a black dude be the next mass shooter is gonna further a certain agenda when there seems to be plenty of black dudes already involved in gang warfare and similar black-on-black crime in Chiraq that the media isn't really looking at :rolleyes: now, if it were a white veteran with mental problems....
All true!! I did say far fetched!!

But on a serious note, I'm all for open carry but that was just a weird situation. Makes zero sense but sometimes people make zero sense...

Least it didn't end bad...

·
Premium Member
35,820 Posts
The conspiracy folks would say that this is simply an attempt at getting the racists on board with gun regulation.
I don’t buy that crap...but the folks in charge have done this sort of thing in other countries, so...why not?

·
Registered
60 Posts
According to this article, it went a little further . . .

A Heavily Armed Man at a Grocery Store Adds to Anxiety in Atlanta - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

"He headed for the men’s room, the authorities said, where he strapped on a bulletproof vest. He then donned a jacket, its pockets full of ammunition, and placed two loaded handguns in a left front pocket and two other loaded handguns in a right front pocket. In the guitar bag, he carried a 12-gauge shotgun, an AR-15 military-style rifle and a black ski mask.
Then he walked out into the store."

If that statement is true, then it seems as if another possible mass shooting, or at the very least, a robbery attempt was thwarted

"Georgia allows people to carry a handgun if they have the proper license, according to the Giffords Law Center. The law also allows people to carry long guns without a license, provided that, if loaded, the weapon is carried openly"

It would appear that he was illegally concealing as well assuming the rifle and shotgun was loaded

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
According to this article, it went a little further . . .

A Heavily Armed Man at a Grocery Store Adds to Anxiety in Atlanta - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

"He headed for the men’s room, the authorities said, where he strapped on a bulletproof vest. He then donned a jacket, its pockets full of ammunition, and placed two loaded handguns in a left front pocket and two other loaded handguns in a right front pocket. In the guitar bag, he carried a 12-gauge shotgun, an AR-15 military-style rifle and a black ski mask.
Then he walked out into the store."

If that statement is true, then it seems as if another possible mass shooting, or at the very least, a robbery attempt was thwarted

"Georgia allows people to carry a handgun if they have the proper license, according to the Giffords Law Center. The law also allows people to carry long guns without a license, provided that, if loaded, the weapon is carried openly"

It would appear that he was illegally concealing as well assuming the rifle and shotgun was loaded
There's talk that made it seem like he was legally carrying as the other articles said that he had a Weapons Carry license/permit (obviously concealed but they don't seem to make that distinction :rolleyes: ) however one other article says "its not clear whether he was licensed to own" :rolleyes: I have never heard Georgia to require licenses to buy/own firearms like Illinois does :rolleyes:

·
Registered
60 Posts
yea, im not sure about georigia. In Florida you dont need a permit to buy a fire arm, but you do have to have a concealed weapons license to carry one.

there is no open carry here except under a few different conditions. Hunting, fishing, going to or from a gun range

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
Another incident in Atlanta, fortunately no one was hurt.

Man arrested at Atlanta grocery with six guns, body armor, police say

I mean, yeah idiot but I don't see a problem with it. Hes a LARPer. I have Soldiers that do the same thing. Walk around off base in their body armour or dressed up a Captain America and post the pictures on Face Book. Great people and good Soldiers...just weirdos that are into LARPing. I am sure that this was the case. It's not a video game...no reset button or respawning. Basically people, if you see someone waling around in a black trench coat, get nervous.

·
Registered
14 Posts
yea, im not sure about georigia. In Florida you dont need a permit to buy a fire arm, but you do have to have a concealed weapons license to carry one.

there is no open carry here except under a few different conditions. Hunting, fishing, going to or from a gun range
So I am moving to Florida next month, my Brother and I are Snake Hunters, we're going to cash in on Ocalas' call for help to get rid of big snakes, anyhow... So long as we have hunt/fishing license we're ok to carry along bank and such, and in boat right?

·
Registered
60 Posts
So I am moving to Florida next month, my Brother and I are Snake Hunters, we're going to cash in on Ocalas' call for help to get rid of big snakes, anyhow... So long as we have hunt/fishing license we're ok to carry along bank and such, and in boat right?
yes, you are . .. however, just know that there are not a lot of law enforcement that knows, or really understands the law surrounding this.

In all of my 42 years, i have never seen anyone standing around fishing with a gun, or going to/from a gun range with a pistol hanging off their hip, or a rifle slung over their back . . . chances are, a Cop is going to freak if they see you anywhere with a gun and will more then likely make contact with you.

i went camping last year and had my 357 holstered at my side. its my defense from black bears. Another set of campers called the cops on me. they made contact but fortunately understood the laws and basically gave the other campers an education, but since i had a CWL, they asked me politely to throw the gun in my bag and i obliged (until the next day lol)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts