Another Mosin Nagant 91/30

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Zone' started by HP/C9/45ACP, Nov 28, 2014.

1. HP/C9/45ACP

HP/C9/45ACP Member

Wednesday I went to the store where I've bought most of my guns for the past few years. They're going out of business and have 15% off all their guns. They had several Mosin 91/30's on display. From 5 feet away and covered with cosmoline one jumped out at me. I asked the clerk to hand it to me, first thing I did was check manufacture date/manufacturer, it was a 1938 Tula. Decided after looking at other guns in the store to buy it, $135.14 out the door. Brought it home, started cleaning up the snot yesterday and finished it up this afternoon. When finished I was pleasantly surprised at the condition, furniture is nice and the bluing is PERFECT with the exception of the end of the barrel and one place near the end of the barrel where there's a scuff maybe 1/2 long, but hardly noticeable. Only things that would have made it better is if it had been a hex receiver and sniper grade. I hope it shoots as nice as it looks.

2. Hipointer

Hipointer Member

Love these guns...I have a few of them myself. How did the bore look? Any pictures?

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Another...

Be careful, they reproduce. I have 3, but I have no idea why I bought the second, it's a war year Izzy, nothing special. The third was a hex. I keep them locked down, I don't want another unless it's a sniper.

4. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Nice job on getting one

5. HP/C9/45ACP

HP/C9/45ACP Member

Bore looks very good with strong rifling. I'm hoping maybe this rifle is like the stories you're always hearing about cars, such as, '63 Corvette bought new, 10K miles, been on blocks since 1964. No pictures yet, and I don't know how to post pictures to the forum.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  6. HP/C9/45ACP

HP/C9/45ACP Member

This was my second, likewise my first was a 1943 Izhevsk. Think I've had it since last December. Although I thought the other one was in reasonably nice condition, it looks terrible beside this one. I too would like to find a hex and/or a sniper. Previously I'd planned to leave it as is, but since I got such a clean Tula I'm now thinking about sanding and re-staining the wood on the Izzy. It will be my shooter and the Tula will be my show gun/conversation piece.

7. HP/C9/45ACP

HP/C9/45ACP Member

With the 15% discount High Point C-9's were available for an out the door price of $126.13 and .40 and .45's for 135.14. To many good deals, not enough money!! The one I really wanted was a Glock 19 at $477.52 out the door. I still may slip back in and get it. I think they're planning to close at the end of the year, so I'm hoping they'll discount them a little more before closing.

8. mrgreen

mrgreen Member

I have that sniper i will sell you;)

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Really? Tell me more.

10. mrgreen

mrgreen Member

I have that Russian WW2 Hex sniper;)

11. That sounds like you got a good deal, $135 is less than the normal in my area. But most are closer to the $150 range now and those are 1942-44.

I really enjoy everything about the mosin. I like to shoot them and as crazy as it sounds I enjoy cleaning them. Like Ajole said they reproduce quickly I don't recall how many I have now. I was able to sell some over the years but for everyone I sell two more follow me home.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  12. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Are you guys buying breeding pairs?

13. Johnny_B_Goode

Johnny_B_Goode Member

I am so picky about my milsurp rifles that I do not have to worry about them multiplying, I learned with the SKS and AK when they were a dime a dozen. If the bore is not immaculate and the serial numbers do not match I do not want it. I literally went through cases of rifles to find one 1930 hex receiver that suited me. The rest of the rifles were scrap metal as far as I was concerned.

14. HP/C9/45ACP

HP/C9/45ACP Member

This stores regular price was $149.99, but they're going out of business and have a 15% discount on their firearms which brought the price down to $127.49 + tax.