Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Ruger Max-9. Ruger fanboy that I am, I am just not feeling this one. I think because of the GLOCK-esq pull the trigger to dissemble. It is, obviously, striker fired. While I am warming to striker fired, I still prefer a hammer. You do know that I will still be looking at one though...don't you?

compared to the Ruger Security-9 Compact, the Max-9 is a touch shorter and thinner, while being just a tad taller even with the flush fit 10 round magazines. A 12 round extended magazine is an option as well. It comes in price wise just about midway between the Ruger American and the standard model Ruger Security-9.

I do like my Ruger, and while the 45 acp is my favorite semi-auto handgun round, I choose the 9mm Luger as the more practical...read that as the more common, fitting in well with thev223 and 308 rifle cartridges.

I have the P-95 which embodies everything I hate about a semi-auto pistol, but I am very fond it it. The American Pistol duty size and compact, the Security-9 and Security-9 Compact, don't know it there is room in the safe for the Max-9 or not. We will see.

https://www.ruger.com/products/max-9/models.html

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have an EC9s. The Max-9 does have 12+1 and adjustable sights but I'll stick with my EC9s.

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
The Ruger Max-9. Ruger fanboy that I am, I am just not feeling this one. I think because of the GLOCK-esq pull the trigger to dissemble. It is, obviously, striker fired. While I am warming to striker fired, I still prefer a hammer. You do know that I will still be looking at one though...don't you?

compared to the Ruger Security-9 Compact, the Max-9 is a touch shorter and thinner, while being just a tad taller even with the flush fit 10 round magazines. A 12 round extended magazine is an option as well. It comes in price wise just about midway between the Ruger American and the standard model Ruger Security-9.

I do like my Ruger, and while the 45 acp is my favorite semi-auto handgun round, I choose the 9mm Luger as the more practical...read that as the more common, fitting in well with thev223 and 308 rifle cartridges.

I have the P-95 which embodies everything I hate about a semi-auto pistol, but I am very fond it it. The American Pistol duty size and compact, the Security-9 and Security-9 Compact, don't know it there is room in the safe for the Max-9 or not. We will see.

https://www.ruger.com/products/max-9/models.html
It's cool and everything but it's nothing new. LCR, basically. I like my 9mm LCR. I would not run out and buy this one.

I agree with you, I prefer hammers. I'm still iffy on striker fire. No, click click click...bang. I carry a M17 (because I have to). That's my only complaint with the M17, no second strike if you have a hard primer.

I don't want to have to work the whole slide because of a bad round. I WILL shuck the round "in the s&%t" but I want the hammer. I just feel more confidant about it.

·
Premium Member
9,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's cool and everything but it's nothing new. LCR, basically. I like my 9mm LCR. I would not run out and buy this one.

I agree with you, I prefer hammers. I'm still iffy on striker fire. No, click click click...bang. I carry a M17 (because I have to). That's my only complaint with the M17, no second strike if you have a hard primer.

I don't want to have to work the whole slide because of a bad round. I WILL shuck the round "in the s&%t" but I want the hammer. I just feel more confidant about it.
Don't think it's nothing like the LCR, that honor would go to the Security-9 I think.

I think this is Ruger's answer to the S&W Shield, much like the Security-9 is Ruger's answer to the GLOCK G19. @Think1st might have it right by comparing it to the Sig 365.

Reactions: missiledefender

·
Premium Member
9,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have an EC9s. The Max-9 does have 12+1 and adjustable sights but I'll stick with my EC9s.
For some reason I never warmed to the LC or SR line of pistols. I just liked the P series better I think. Then there was the magazine disconnect, a safety feature that's very unsafe.

·
Super Moderator
8,975 Posts
I'm with @greg_r this is Ruger's response to the S&W Shield.
I won't be posting the Max-9 in the thread "Guns you're thinking about buying today"

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
I prefer hammers. I'm still iffy on striker fire. No, click click click...bang. I carry a M17 (because I have to). That's my only complaint with the M17, no second strike if you have a hard primer.

I don't want to have to work the whole slide because of a bad round. I WILL shuck the round "in the s&%t" but I want the hammer.
I agree. Prefer a hammer fired pistol but.......
ended up buying the striker fire Taurus 709 Slim because in the event of a failure to fire, the trigger reverts to a double-action mode, permitting another strike on the unfired cartridge by simply pulling the trigger again.

·
Premium Member
35,988 Posts
The big deal is the slide is already cut for optics, it has the light pipe front sight, and it's melted pretty well.

And then....there's these.
We all knew THIS is how you make a double stack mag fit a single stack slide/frame interface.
They literally took the LC9 top end, and put a wider grip onto it so they could add a double stack, then did some cosmetics.

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
Super Moderator
8,975 Posts
...and now S&W has introduced their competing pistol (M&P Shield Plus) with a shockingly similar double-stack mag design.
Makes me wonder if the firearms designers and marketeers aren't eating lunch side by side.

Reactions: moona11

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,882 Posts
...and now S&W has introduced their competing pistol (M&P Shield Plus) with a shockingly similar double-stack mag design.
Makes me wonder if the firearms designers and marketeers aren't eating lunch side by side.
I would prefer the S&W.

·
Super Moderator
8,975 Posts
I would prefer the S&W.
As would I. The S&W isn't a brandie-new pistol, just a variation on the existing shield and prolly more a lot more reliable

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
Super Moderator
28,537 Posts
I'm kinda digging it. I've been seriously looking at an update to my Kel Tec P11. I was thinking about the SCCY DVG-1RD. It has the right price point and is the same size as my P11, with a RD already attached. But this or the Smith might be contenders.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The big deal is the slide is already cut for optics, it has the light pipe front sight, and it's melted pretty well.

And then....there's these.
We all knew THIS is how you make a double stack mag fit a single stack slide/frame interface.
They literally took the LC9 top end, and put a wider grip onto it so they could add a double stack, then did some cosmetics.
I guess someone finally listened to us.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Super Moderator
28,537 Posts

Ruger® MAX-9™ Centerfire Pistol Models
I'm kinda digging it. I've been seriously considering replacing my Kel Tec P11. There are several contenders in size and capacity with nicer triggers than my (updated) P11 which can accept red dots. I've been thinking about the new SCCY DVG-1RD because it has the right price point and comes equiped with a RD. But this might be an alternative.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
35,988 Posts
For some reason I never warmed to the LC or SR line of pistols. I just liked the P series better I think. Then there was the magazine disconnect, a safety feature that's very unsafe.
I LOVE the SR series....

·
Premium Member
21,391 Posts
Looks like a LCPII on steroids.

·
Premium Member
9,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Boge Quinn (I have always liked him, miss Jeff though) reviews the Max-9

Reactions: lklawson

·
Premium Member
9,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Keep telling myself I am not interested, but then why do I keep going back to the Ruger page and looking at it?

Went to the gun shop at lunch today just to see if one was there. Of course not. But its growing on me. I like that it is red dot ready. Do I want a pistol with a dot sight on it? Dont know, but when I get the chance I want to try one in my hand.

Reactions: lklawson

·
Premium Member
21,391 Posts
I got excited in some ways about this after watching the video. However remember the LCP Pro? Trigger problems, firing pins breaking? I don't want to be an unpaid BETA tester.

One other thing, that finish on the slide looks like it's about as durable as my el-cheapo Taurus G2, and the not so durable finish on my LCP2

1 - 20 of 54 Posts