Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, my name is Greg and I'm a 47 year-old first time gun owner and the proud owner of a new c-9.
I've been lurking on this site for a couple of weeks before I made the decision to go with the c-9, and feel confident that I made a good choice. Seems to be a great group of gun enthusiasts with a wealth of information and strong desire to help newbies such as myself.
I'm going to the range for the first time on Wednesday and will report back my experience.
I do have several coworkers who discouraged me from buying a HP, and as you might have guessed, none of them has fired one.
Hopefully I have a great experience and can let them put a few rounds through it and see for themselves.

Greg

·
Registered
85 Posts
It's probably a little late at this point but:

Load the magazines a few weeks before hand to loosen the spring tension. If you don't get a chance to do this then load one or two less in each magazine to prevent double feeds and jams.

Keep your wrist locked. I like the weaver stance which is where you push forward toward the target on your trigger hand and pull back towards you with your weak hand. That seems to provide a sturdy support for me. Limp wristing will cause jams as well.

Last, but not least, have fun and be safe. I like starting out at 3 yards or so, it's a confidence builder to see them all in a nice tight grouping. Get some of those Shoot-N-C stickers from Walmart. Those are nice for shooting long range because you can see where you hit instantly. It's only 5 bucks for a pack of 8 and the little patch circles can be used for eyes on sillhouette targets, hehe.

Enjoy and congrats no your purchase!
:welcome:

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Hi, my name is Broomhead and I am a Hi-Point addict.
Everyone said:
Hello Broomhead.
Welcome to our support group.
There are five steps in our program.
Step 1: Buy ammo and send it down range.
Step 2: Buy more Hi-Points.
Step 3: Laugh at all the Gun Snobs for paying way too much, then out shoot them at the range.
Step 4: Happily spread your addiction to others whenever possible.
Step 5:Repeat steps 1 through 4 endlessly.
Unfortunately, these are not steps to recovery.
There is no recovery.
:devilsidesmile::devilsidesmile::devilsidesmile:

My assistant, Leland, will be by to dole out the meds. :sleezy:

·
Registered
917 Posts
Welcome to the addiction. My name is Leland and im a certified Hi Point Addiction Therapist. My assistant Broomhead has already informed you of this AWSOME sickness!!

Click here to see an actual therapy session in progress

Now tell me all about it!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the input. Iv'e had three mag's loaded for about ten days now, and with a little luck will be at the range before noon tomorrow.
I'll you know how it goes.

Greg

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, I made it to the range today, first time ever. Overall I am very pleased.
Sent 150 rounds down range, WWB from WalMart, and hit the target every time, most of the time right where I was aiming.
On the downside, I had the gun jamb 14 times, every one was with the bullet ending up vertical, nose-up in the chamber. Also had 2 fail to fire, one had the pin actually stuck in the primer.
The magazines had been preloaded for about ten days and at the range I took one round out leaving 7.
I purchased the WWB before I knew that HP didn't recommend it, so I'm going to try something different. I think they carry Remington and American Eagle at Dunhams right by my house. I also want to check the measurements of the mag lips but need to get new batteries for my digital calipers tonight.

Greg

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Sorry to hear about the jambs and misfires. I had a few jams on my 380 yesterday(just purchased that day). This could be associated with the ammo(reloads), full mags not broken in, or user error(limpwrist). Either way, I was very impressed with the accuracy and feel compared to the other 380(different maker and over 20 years old), the Glock 9mm, and the .22 handgun I shot yesterday as well. I had 3"-4" grouping at 7 yards and I haven't fired any firearm since 1996 and that was an M16. Good luck and let us know if the problems are corrected with different ammo. I'm gonna try something else for my next trip to the range.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Welcome Hansong

I had trouble with the WWB in my C-9's as well went to the Blazer Brass and have very little failures now most of those can be attributed to limp wristing, :devilsidesmile:

Jet650

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:welcome:

i too am a noob to HP's just got myself a 380 and love it i can deffinately feel the difference with about 500 round through her now i polished the feed ramp and it makes all the difference i didn't know about spring break in or ever heard of it otherwise i may have done it but so far i've only had 2 misfeeds in 500 rounds of remington fmj i just picked up some blazer aluminum to try it out so hopefully it will be fine

1 - 11 of 11 Posts