Another sad story..

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by bluharley, Apr 13, 2015.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Another reminder of why every gun I own is either secured behind some sort of mechanical safe or on my person at all times.

Oh, and Cleveland sucks. The only thing it has going for it is Tony Packos.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

2. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

I actually really like Cleveland. I used to spend a lot of time there for work.

The City is ok, but the surrounding communities are really nice.

And their roadways are far better than Pittsburgh or even my smallsih city.

It's horrible that this 1 yar old lost thier life.

But it's also horrible that the Chief of Police is way off base here. Sounds like my town. I am tired o d our LEO's (at least the high level ones) fixating on the inanimate object and not the pieces of trash who use them inappropriate. Now in this case you can't really blame the 3 year old. But you can blame the low life who left it so the little one could get it.

Going to go out on a limb and say he's not one of us.

3. histed

histed Supporting Member

Tallbump - agreed. What kind of idiot lets a loaded gun on the floor, especially with kids around!? We just had one in Harrisburg area where a new gun owner set up a target in the basement to demonstrate her new gun to everyone and shot a 9 year-old when the bullet went through the target (imagine that!) then through the window and into the kid playing outside. No wonder people are afraid of guns.

4. To coin a phrase from Ron White, "you just can't fix stupid". Feel bad for the mother and more so for the dead child and the sibling that will deal with it for the rest of his life.
    But agree, the idiot that left it there available for the child to get his hands on...

5. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Their own family member.

http://fox43.com/2015/04/09/three-f...in-shooting-of-9-year-old-lancaster-city-boy/

News story reports the kid is in critical but stable condition at time of news story. Three family members arrested, not just the shooter. Seems the owners of the gun went home and tried to hide it, get this, on the roof!

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

6. shane73

shane73 Member

When wanting a firearm some people should take a drug and stupid test. Cause this could have been prevented if the owner had a brain.

7. bluharley

bluharley Member

I have to wonder if an adult is putting this on the kid because the kid can't tell his side of the story. Maybe an adult pulled the trigger?

8. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    This happen in the hood? If so the toddler was showing his baby daddy how to clear a jam.

Victim was stealing and selling crack to fund his Similac addiction.

9. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    We have enough local stupid ones too!

10. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

Wonder if the gun owner was an MDA supporter and wanted to garner some attention to gun control again

11. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Sorry guys, but this is nothing more than a tragic case of stupidity and neglect.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

12. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Well.....unfortunately this is a very predictable side effect of the 2nd amendment.
    No matter what you try to do there always has been and always will be somebody to f*ck it up for everybody else.
    If you believe that everybody has a right to own a gun.....shrug your shoulders and step over the bodies.
    This will continue to happen.

13. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

As will kids being hit by cars in the street, drowning in pools, and being poisoned.... They're all tragic, and all preventable....

14. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

For kids that age death via gunshot isn't in the top 10 accidental death reasons. Drowning and poisoning follow car accidents as the top three.

And you cannot legislate STUPIDITY, people will do stupid things no matter what.

15. SWAGA

True.
    It's a simple fact of life that a certain percentage just will not make the age of 3-4-5-6-7-8-9 and so on because of random or not so random accidents.
    Parents are not helping.
    It's just that firearms deaths amongst little kids are a little lore preventable then being run over or drowning.
    That gun was left there by somebody not using their brain.
    The pool is simply there, it can't be moved or locked up or put on a shelf out of reach.
    Guns can.

16. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I've been thinking hard about this since yesterday and I have decided that I have to write this.

I'm speaking as Kirk, not as a Mod. This is me. Nor is this directed to or at any single poster in this thread.

I'm offended by suggestions, even if in jest, that this event had anything to do with deliberately promoting a Gun Control agenda or anything similar and the dark humor which often accompanies these tragedies. I completely understand "gallows humor" and, I agree, it has it's place; it exists in the human psyche for a reason. But this sort of public thread just isn't the place for it.

I'm pretty laissez faire about most of these sort things and if it bugs me this much imagine how it must sound to a lurker, a firearms fence-sitter, or (heaven forfend) an anti-gunner (sitting in his underwear in his parents basement) deliberately searching for "evidence" to put up on his twitter feed "proving" how out-of-touch, cruel, heartless, selfish, and just flat out evil all those "gun nuts" are?

We're talking about the horrific, and totally preventable, death of an infant at the hands of a toddler because some adult used astoundingly, mind-boggeling, incomprehensibly bad judgment. It's the equivalent of failing to buckle that infant into a car safety seat when driving (which I've also seen).

I'm not ashamed to say that this bugs me. Please don't do it. As I've written before, I have a family member who (before my birth) was killed in a hunting accident, and I had personal friends (now passed away) who had a toddler drown in their pool (I knew the little girl and her mother slightly from church), and if you personally aren't one or two degrees (or less) from someone who was killed in a car accident then you've been living under a rock.

Tragedies are just that. Let's do the best we can to learn from them.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

17. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Hits too close to home eh Kirk? Happens to everyone about something. Some learn to live with it and let others deal their own way. While some try to control what others can say.

18. SWAGA

Chill out Cic, ease up on the vinaigrette.
    Try honey mustard next time.

19. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Honey Mustard on a grilled brat. Sounds good to me.