Another senseless death

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by reaHP, Feb 18, 2008.

1. reaHP

reaHP Guest

I hope this isn't too heavy for this forum but I had to share with someone. I had a nephew that committed suicide last friday night. He shot himself with a shotgun in front of his father, and while his sister (she's 17), was in the house. He lost his grandfather last march, and shortly before that his mother and father went through a bitter divorce. There's no making sense of it, except for the fact that we believe that drugs were involved. His father said he had been talking about some wierd hallucinations that he had been having for the last couple of weeks. I thought maybe it was schezophrenia but I guess that disease doesn't usually come on all of a sudden.

Anyway... those of you who pray, please put one up for me and my family. Especially for my mother-in-law, his grandmother who is taking it really hard. She got a call from him 2 days before saying how he had his life straightened out and was doing really well. After this, we are wondering what that call was really all about. She said he definately didn't sound like he was in any type of distress, and the news Friday came as a complete shock. And also for his Sister, and Father.

As I said please pray, if you are so inclined.

2. God Bless. Usually people who decide to take their lives are calm, even happy in the days immediately preceding the event. They feel like now that they've decided, they can be at peace (I'm not a psychologist by any means, but in college I did pay attention during my classes... that and I've seen my fair share of both attempts and successes). Please remember not to blame yourself, and tell your grandmother she couldn't have known. Usually these people hide it so well that only in retrospect can any signs be gleaned. I blamed myself for a long time when my Captain killed himself... took me a long time to realize that it was he made the decision, not mine. I recommend you and your family go to a therapist for both group and individual sessions. Its not for everyone (me included), but go at least once to see if it might help if you haven't already.

Time will heal all wounds, but it will take time. Stay away from drink, read the bible (or Koran, or whichever religious text you subscribe to), and take comfort in those that are still around you. My prayers are with you.

3. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

Permanet solution to a temporary problem, i'd take someout else out before i would think of off'ing myself... But hey, That's just me.
    I'm also sorry for your loss, and perhaps therapy will be a viable option for you. I hope you will fair well in the coming weeks, and please stay strong, for your family's sake.

4. I don't know what to say except that my prayers for you and your family have been said.

5. One of the major reasons we are all here, is because when one calls, we all listen. I cannot imagine your pain and what the next months will bring. Please take if possible some comfort knowing we're here, praying for you and your family.

Cause you're newer I'll say this too - this need not be a one time thing - check back in, rant, ask, tell, question, scream....... you name it. We're here and we'll help any way we can.

God Bless.........

6. ex3313

ex3313 Guest

Rant Rave do what you need to do but see a consuler I hated the idea I felt that it showed I was weak but the lady shrink I had theraphy with gave me some insight and some ways to deal with my grief after my wife's death use the resources in the mental health Sys theydeal with stuff like this far more often than we normal folk.

7. You are in my thoughts and prayers

8. My prayers go out to you and your family, I too have lost family to suicide. it is hard on you and your family, but you can get through it. God bless

9. urotu

urotu Member

My condolences bro, I'm so sorry to hear about it.

My thoughts will be with you and yours.

10. Real shame to hear, like said above, a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Been there, was considering it long ago because bill collectors were hounding me over a couple of grand in bills after I came down sick and lost my job.

Thank god I saw the light and decided to find a different way to ease my pain.

If you was close to your nephew, I hope you at least consider some short term counseling to help make sense of your feelings about what has happened.

11. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

I'm so sorry for your loss.

12. griff30

griff30 Member

My condolences!
    I lost a cousin 5 years ago to suicide. He had did some stupid illegal things and my aunt (his mom) asked me to give him some "tough love" after a Thanksgiving dinner, I did and he cried and killed himself later. I never really got over that.

13. Wow, you guys are in my prayers. Keep your chin up and always know that you can come here for support if you need it. We're all here for you guys no matter what time of day or night.

14. You are in my family's thoughts....

15. reaHP

reaHP Guest

Thanks to all of you for your support, thoughts and prayers. It really means a lot.

I wasn't as close to my nephew as my wife was, but it doesn't make it any easier to make sense of. He was only 21. The funeral will be this Saturday. It's been a tumultuous week. Perhaps some day we can return to some semblance of normalcy.

Thanks for the suggestion of counceling. I hadn't really thought about it, but perhaps talking throught it with an uninvolved party would help.